The Greatest Bassist of All Time

What's Hot

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 3118
    Richard Sinclair.

What do you mean, you don't know who he is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZrLGybwTuU

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    What is this strange, oversized guitar with strings missing?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12721
    Thunderfingers redefined it - "I'm not a bass player. I'm a bass guitarist"
    McCarney - melodic, clever and always interesting
    Donald Dunn - Mr Walking Bass Line
    Carole Kaye - defined the 'clack' bass line
    Stanley Clarke - spaceman playing bass
    Bernard Edwards - the grooviest player ever?
    Bootsy Collins - yeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh boy!
    Mark King - famous for his 'stunt' playing, but a really solid and funky player
    Flea - insanity aside, he's off the scale

But for me... it'll always be between Thunderfingers and McCartney as they both made bass playing 'cool'.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    edited August 2017
    The one with the longest bass.
  • Norman Watt-Roy

Jack Bruce

Bootsy Collins

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Sid Viscous.
    Wasn't he really thick?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2641
    edited August 2017
    Just heard Aretha on the radio and made me think Blues Brothers - And totally surprised no one has yet said Donald Duck Dunn - awesome bass player
    You mentioned I Wish - the incredible Nathan Watts, long time with Stevie.  The Aretha bass line I always think of first is the Chuck Rainey one on "Until You Come Back to Me", much busier than the Duck Dunn stuff of course.  Masterclass in doing that thing some old style r'n'b bassist do of playing 8th notes straight but 16th notes with a swing feel.  Chuck better known for the Steely Dan stuff, lots of fantastic playing, Kid Charlemagne comes to mind, famous for the guitar solo but the bass part is just as inspiring.

Talking of outros, another of my absolute favourite bass parts is Robbie Shakespeare on Grace Jone's Slave to the Rhythm.  There's some editing so it's not totally a one-take performance (there's more than one bass playing at time) but the original playing has fantastic groove and melody.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    edited August 2017
    Got to page 3 before Mark King got a mention! He gets my vote, combining the 16th-note funk of Bernie Edwards with the Slap flash of Larry Graham and Stanley Clark, with a dash of Jaco-style melodic lyricism overlaid. I've seen him three times live and he's always absolutely rock-solid in his timing. AND he sings AND chews gum at the same time! :-0
  • hairboyhairboy Frets: 4
    No mention of Billy Sheehan? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Not one person has said les claypool you're heathens! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    bigjon said:
    Got to page 3 before Mark King got a mention! He gets my vote, combining the 16th-note funk of Bernie Edwards with the Slap flash of Larry Graham and Stanley Clark, with a dash of Jaco-style melodic lyricism overlaid. I've seen him three times live and he's always absolutely rock-solid in his timing. AND he sings AND chews gum at the same time! :-0
    I mentioned Mark King on page 2.
  • CMillsCMills Frets: 15
    Either Gary Willis or Roscoe Beck
  • Got to Geddy for me! Not a 'classic' bass tone on this one but its sure fits with the time it was recorded!

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4681
    Well, it's my first proper post here.  This seems as good a way to start as any...

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Well, it's my first proper post here.  This seems as good a way to start as any...

Finally someone gives Lemmy some recognition. When he passed away, someone posted a short video of him mocking ordinary bass players...and then proceeded to let rip with his Rickenbacker and a Marshall amp, but not before turning everything up to 10... now that's playing bass guitar!!!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11422
    McCartney
    Jack Bruce
    James Jamerson
    And because no-one else will mention him, Martin Ace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    edited August 2017
    Not technically flash in anyway but Peter Hook's playing with Joy Division and then New Order was a little different and he had a unique sound with New Order 

• blobbblobb Frets: 3118
    scrumhalf said:

And because no-one else will mention him, Martin Ace.
    good shout.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    edited August 2017
    Al Caldwell, erstwhile bassist for Greg Howe. Plays an 11-string bass
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    edited August 2017

Not to detract from any of the great players mentioned but I'm going to add to the chorus of those who nominate Motown’s great James Jamerson. 

It's the sheer relentless flow of his ideas, so fluid and effortless. He was a master at hooks and inventing lines which drove the song, and a perfect example of the way great bassists link the drummer to the singer with a foot in both camps, rhythmic and harmonic. His timing was bonkers: you could spend weeks learning just one of his parts and still be discovering tiny but all-important subtleties of grace notes. 

The fact that all this stuff was improvised on the spot from head charts and recorded live with the rest of the band in a handful of takes, at most – and probably pissed – makes it all the more amazing.