MJT Strats

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
Anyone playing an MJT Strat? or built one from parts..

I can't find what I'm looking for used so might end up having to build something and his relic parts look cool.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    Didn't @redrighthand do a trio of MJT builds including a Strat ?
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I have an mjt swamp ash tele body and it's really good quality stuff.

I got it of their eBay auction where they are a fair bit cheaper. Although you may have to wait to get exactly what you want.

I got a lightly reliced one and then spent some time getting the relicing how I wanted it.

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited February 2014

Old Fender neck, MJT body.   Wanted a heavy relic to match the state of the neck.  Was very good as arrived from MJT but needed a little smoothing and "dirt" added to get it as the photos.

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Interesting you say about the dirt. I got (somehow) the telemaster body from @Redrighthand the other day, and while the paintwork looked fifty yo, it looked as though the knocks and nicks had happened yesterday.

Really odd.

No big deal as I tinted them and they look better (too my eyes anyway, RRH probably thinks me mad :) but it surprised me a wee bit.

• redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 747
    edited February 2014
    DrBob said:
    Didn't @redrighthand do a trio of MJT builds including a Strat ?
    Indeed - Here's the build thread: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/142/my-first-build-s-mjt-content

Actually the Strat only has an MJT body - the neck is a really lovely Musikraft one that hasn't been reliced, but with the vintage tint they don't look too bad together.

@JookyChap you aren't mad! The wood seen through the "buckle rash" on the back always looked bit too clean for me - I think they did dirty it as it was kinda grey - but wasn't as "dirty" as I was expecting. I've seen dirtier - and at the opposite end I've seen one of their necks on t'bay that had finger "marks" that were practically black - looked way overdone.

I ordered the Jazzcaster body custom made, and bought the Strat and tele bodies from ebay auctions. They are all good, with the tele body arguably the most real looking. They are all nice and light and resonant - the tele in particular.

@Si_ I'd keep an eye on the ebay auctions - there are bargains to be had - they will also combine shipping and hold onto an item for you for a while if you want to try and win a neck too for example. Check out some completed items to see how cheap they can go for:

Figure about £40 for postage then about 23% of the total parts and postage cost as duty and VAT. It adds up - but the quality is great. 

Matt and Mark Jenny are really nice to deal with - I'd advise though if you are getting something custom built, to keep asking for lots of photos, updates as to progress so you get it just right. They are good about requests like that - you just need to make sure you ask them. 

Drop me a PM if you have any questions. I enjoyed the build (or assembly) process a lot.
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 404
    I made one! Made a build thread over on shortscale about it here: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47917

Had made one of their teles before, specced a strat a year later: boat neck profile (was a Musikraft rather than the USACG he uses nowadays, although he'll still use Musikraft - Allparts are his default necks though, I believe), alder body. Matt was great all the way through, let me spec the guitars exactly how I wanted them (I was fussy about weight). 

Will make an Esquire one day too.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Some VERY nice guitars there chaps...
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I'm hoping to do one soon. Lightly aged Candy Green with a fat CBS headstock.

Latest idea - perhaps going to go for a bound rosewood board with block inlays... someone talk me out of it?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    approx how much is it costing you chaps to build? They all look great, but I bet it can get expensive..
    I haven't started yet but taking pickups, shipping and customs into account, I'm probably going to need to budget about £7-800.

I talked myself out of the blocks and binding when I found out it adds about £150 to the price of the neck. Fuck that.

It would look cool though...
    actually 7-800 is less than I thought.

edited February 2014
    Si_ said:
    actually 7-800 is less than I thought.

My dad's lovely MJT Cabronita cost about that much all in - that included two expensive TV Jones pickups.

I'm going for cheaper pickups - DiMarzio Injector at bridge, have thought about consulting Oil City for mid and neck. I hear good things and the prices are nice - but the extra options I want on the neck may cost a little - compound radius, stainless steel frets etc.

The kits start at about £500 for a body, neck and hardware, which is really good IMO.
    I'll have to scour ebay tomorrow and see what I can find :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7221
    I want to build something like this.

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    The Strat I posted above was less as I only needed a body.  But the telecaster I built with a JTM neck and body came in at about £800 including Shed pickups and hardware from Crazy parts.
    @redrighthand a question about your green Strat - is the finish yellowed? It doesn't look particularly so to me - almost has a blue/turquoise hint in some of the photos, do you know what the spec is? I'm looking for this kind of colour:

I know that on the kit, you're meant to specify the degree of yellowing. I'm curious as to how much to ask for...
  • @Bucket I don't think mine is yellowed. I bought it from the auction so didn't spec it so don't know for sure. They should be able to send you some colour samples of the various stages of yellowing on CA Green so you can pick one.

That one in the pic looks lovely though.

If you're doing a custom order I'd recommend paying a bit more and getting a musikraft neck specced to your requirements - then shipped to MJT for relicing/finishing. You'll get a proper fender headstock shape and TONS of options - I think you also get 10% discount from them for being an MJT customer.  http://www.musikraft.com/product-list.php?pg1-cid74.html
  • Also @Bucket if you're prepared to be flexible on the exact finish - the auctions can be good value - especially for the green ones.
    Thanks!

I think I'll go with a Musikraft neck, although they put the MJT headstock decal on it, which I don't want... they seem to have the best options though. As for the auctions, there's a green body on eBay atm but it's horrible - there's a load of sunburst poking through underneath it! I'll keep an eye out, although I think I'd rather get the whole thing as one package, just to make it easier. :)