Neck dive guitars you have owned ?

What's Hot
Two of the guitars I have owned in the past were fantastic instruments that were afflicted with horrendous neck dive, and I mean horrendous.

The first was a usa semi hollow hamer artist which had tone for days, let go of the neck and the headstock was bouncing off the carpet.The second was a stunning Yamaha sg2000 to shame a historic Gibson.I can't emphasize enough how horrifically it hung on a strap, it wanted to roll away from you and bounce the headstock off the carpet at the same time.

Never p!ayed one but the Chapman ghost guitar looks like a seriously unbalanced pig, what neck heavy divers have you owned, do you still have them ? I sold both of mine.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74473
    Danelectro Convertible. Not an unbalanced guitar to look at, but the body is about the weight of a paper bag.

Gone...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • An old SG with grovers, nightmare! It was a cool guitar but klusons are a better idea on an SG.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361

Eastwood Sidejack and a Brian May Red Special. Both wrecked my shoulder due to being so incredibly uncomfortable to play standing up. Went a long way to proving my argument that a perfectly balanced heavy guitar will cause far less discomfort that a badly balanced featherweight one. My Tokai LP being a prime example. Nearly 11lbs but vanishes on a strap.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    My first bass was a secondhand CWG Winner, terrible neck dive and heavy beast all round.

My best memory of this bass was the day I bought it. My train home pulled into the station and there were about 150 punks on the platform, obviously all off to some big event. I got off with bass in hand (no case) and they all cheered! 

Here's one (not mine). 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2537
    My Gretsch Streamliner has a god awful neck dive that is very off putting! I've hardly played it since purchasing it as it is just a pain in the arse, shame really as the bridge pickup on the thing is rather good. 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Another vote for an SG. Great guitar, but frustrating to play- the second I let go of the neck it would dive for the floor. 
  • I've had a few SGs that made for the floor. Firebird was worse though...
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    My Sg '61 Re-Issue (with a very slim neck) was neck heavy.
    My 1969 Sg Special (with a huge neck) balanced perfectly on a strap.

This told me that there are no rules except for the rule that you must take a strap when you are looking at any Sg.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a Schecter TSH-12. Great guitar and it sounded lovely. Unfortunately 12 strings plus a small chambered body leads to horrific balance issues. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/tmge/313960.jpg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74473
    Actually my Rickenbacker 660/12 was quite bad too, and that has a solid body and the lighter Kluson-type machineheads. The body is quite small though, and the upper horn is quite short. Also now gone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jack Bruce played one of those gibson ebs (?) Basses and the neck dive must have been shocking.
  • AlmachAlmach Frets: 105
    Ibanez AR720. Been out the case once, chronic neck dive, bastards are never getting another penny of mine.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    This thing - custom thinline Cabronita. The neck is huge with locking tuners and the body is lightweight ash AND semi-hollow, so it's no surprise really. It meant I couldn't use the seatbelt-toe Souldier I bought for it, but with good cotton strap it's just about ok (this Copperpeace one is excellent), and the whole thing is light as a feather so it's not a bother really.

My SG doesn't neck dive (again, on a cotton strap) but it did when I briefly put Grovers on it - it's worth considering the weight of your tuners on anything that's just a fraction neck-divey.

Copperpeace for La Cabronita
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Long ago I had a cheap Kay bass and the neck dive on that was horrible. My Epi SG had the same problem. Cured it with fishing weights in the control cavity and more recently added a bigsby. Hangs just fine now.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2480

Co-incidentally I thought of neck dive when Graham @gspbasses recently posted about the qualities of Obeche for guitar bodies. A school friend made a Strat body from Obeche and it was incredibly light and sounded nice but the completed guitar was very neck-heavy. Is there a solution to this?

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    73 SG, my first proper Gibson. Being left handed I held onto it longer that I otherwise would have, but I learned at least one reason why people want things like Les Pauls though that guitar.

Never again, I found neck diving a deal breaker, it's put me off anything like a 335 for instance, just something I'll never even risk having to deal with again.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Most divers I've had have been cured with a less slippy strap, but a couple still wanted to suicide drop, even with a really textured suede strap:
    Eastman El Rey - *totally* great sounding and playing guitar but dove like a bitch. There's an Eastman dealer in the US who get their El Rey stock without the backs attached and they put in a little weight near the bottom strap button which counteracts the dive. Wish my guitar had come from there. 
    A Tokai SG. Not only had massive neck dive problems but also that "falling forward" thing that some SG's and 335's have. I stuck a Bigsby on it which stopped the dive but made the falling forward worse. 
    Peerless Songbird. Shame as it was a really good guitar. Body was mega mega light. 

• My SG strap has a leather pouch full of lead fishing weights on the arse end... It works but Jesus I wish it wasn't necessary!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    Every SG ever!!