Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who makes good earphones?

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
Having got the green light to start listening to music at my desk, I need some earphones (note in ear so no over the head headphones recommendations please!)

What’s good for £50ish? So many budget brands on Amazon with 5* reviews that you know will be awful and are clearly paid reviews....

Most important thing is as little as possible noise spill and being comfortable. 

I’ve not used in ear phones for years so appreciate any steer. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    should be able to get a set of Sennheiser entry level (mid-level?) in-ears for that. They've always been my go to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Having got the green light to start listening to music at my desk, I need some earphones (note in ear so no over the head headphones recommendations please!)

What’s good for £50ish? So many budget brands on Amazon with 5* reviews that you know will be awful and are clearly paid reviews....

Most important thing is as little as possible noise spill and being comfortable. 

What brands are you looking at on Amazon?  I picked up some Betron YSM1000 earphones on Amazon for a mere £19.99 and find them pretty good.  You can read my Amazon review here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R1BU9OZJBNGLL1/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00S2P0M1C
  • Sennheiser are a reliable bet. 
    Strangely we have an "over ear headphones only" rule here- so that people can SEE you're listening to something. I have a pair of Grado SR60 headphones for work.Best. Headphones. Ever. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29174
    Wired or wireless?

If wireless, I got a set of Soundpeats Q12s from Amazon, and they work very nicely and sound much better than I expected.

If wired, I got a set of M6 Pro somethings from Amazon and they're OK, but have less bass and more spill.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SoundMagic E10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    BRISTOL86 said:

What brands are you looking at on Amazon?  I picked up some Betron YSM1000 earphones on Amazon for a mere £19.99 and find them pretty good.  You can read my Amazon review here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R1BU9OZJBNGLL1/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00S2P0M1C
    I haven’t looked at loads but just did a quick search of earphones and noticed loads in the £10-£20 range all with a gazillion 5* reviews which made me a bit sceptical! 

Sporky said:
    Wired or wireless?

If wireless, I got a set of Soundpeats Q12s from Amazon, and they work very nicely and sound much better than I expected.

If wired, I got a set of M6 Pro somethings from Amazon and they're OK, but have less bass and more spill.
    Not really fussed to be honest! Thanks for the suggestions all will check them all out 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

I haven’t looked at loads but just did a quick search of earphones and noticed loads in the £10-£20 range all with a gazillion 5* reviews which made me a bit sceptical! 

I was skeptical too, but a quick analysis of some of the language used in the reviews suggested to me that they are genuine.  I tend to read the _negative_ reviews to see if there is any common problems people have with any product and then make my mind up from that. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited January 2018
    I use Sony MDR7509
    they have a very wide freq range, they're light weight, comfy [which is important for long sessions], fully enclosed, loud, great quality..

note: I'd never do any serious mixing with headphones, but they are useful for practice, composition, editing audio / setting up automation etc... pretty much everything except mixing..
    mixing needs to be done with monitors

EDIT: I am a total div... lol..
    I mis-read "listening to music at my desk" as being a mixing desk.. jeez what a nob...

for general 'out and about', I use: Senheiser PX 100-III
    they sound superb.. fold away nicely.. also has a mic..
    compatible with 
    iPhone [vol control, button to answer and clear calls / switch iTunes on and off etc]
    about 50-ish squid
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Clarky said:
    I use Sony MDR7509
    they have a very wide freq range, they're light weight, comfy [which is important for long sessions], fully enclosed, loud, great quality..

note: I'd never do any serious mixing with headphones, but they are useful for practice, composition, editing audio / setting up automation etc... pretty much everything except mixing..

I mis-read "listening to music at my desk" as being a mixing desk.. jeez what a nob...

compatible with 
    iPhone [vol control, button to answer and clear calls / switch iTunes on and off etc]
    about 50-ish squid

I need some earphones (note in ear so no over the head headphones recommendations please!)
    Clarky said:
    I use Sony MDR7509

compatible with iPhone [vol control, button to answer and clear calls / switch iTunes on and off etc]
    about 50-ish squid

I need some earphones (note in ear so no over the head headphones recommendations please!)
    despite the superb quality of both sets of cans I suggested..

consider them unsuggested... lol..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Sennheiser CX300's  are really good. Block out background noise well.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Clarky said:

compatible with iPhone [vol control, button to answer and clear calls / switch iTunes on and off etc]
    about 50-ish squid
    @Clarky ;

Couldn’t find them, is it the IIi model?  https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/stereo-headset-travel-lightweight-px-100-iii
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    SoundMagic E10
    A thousand times this 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    Thanks all plenty of choice now :)
  • PC_Dave said:
    SoundMagic E10
    A thousand times this 
    I had a pair of these. One of the enclosures broke not long after I got them (two parts were glued together but came unglued). I returned them for a replacement but Amazon were out of stock so I ended up with a refund instead. Sound quality was good, but build quality of those and the Soundmagic PL30s I had before wasn't great. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    You could rewire one of them kids toothbrushes what vibrates in yer gob and sends sound via your face. Get 7 for surround sound.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    PC_Dave said:
    SoundMagic E10
    A thousand times this 
    And again.

FWIW, the sound quality between the E10s (my own which I've kept) the Grado GR10s at Richer Sounds and the Sony MDR EX800st (my own pair which I sold) was marginal. You could tell a difference, but a not a £200+ difference. Don't waste your money on funding brands' marketing fees.
    edited January 2018
    duotone said:
    Clarky said:

about 50-ish squid
    @Clarky ;;

Couldn’t find them, is it the IIi model?  https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/stereo-headset-travel-lightweight-px-100-iii
    yes that looks like them...
    I was just reading what it says on the side of the ear piece..
    it looks like this PX 100-III
    but I don't know if a 'I' is an I, an i or a 1 

anyways... they sound excellent