Sky verses Virgin

What's Hot
Thinking of expanding our TV viewing (we have Amazon Prime and freeview and that’s it). 

We’ll need the F1 coverage, which I understand you can add to the Virgin package. 

So pros/cons of each? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1770
    Check your mobile provider.
    Some offer sky sports (inc f1) for a couple of quid a month....

Or maybe also look at now tv
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    I’d probably go Now TV which will give you Sky content but you are only committed to a month at a time. Looks like £6.99 per month for sport. Quite a few music things on demand on the entertainment package. 
    Not HD , I think, as it’s via wi fi but it’s not low quality. The little Now box allows you to acces various things like the iPlayer even when you aren’t paying for a monthly subscription. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Who is your BBand provider?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Who is your BBand provider?
    EE
  • I’d probably go Now TV which will give you Sky content but you are only committed to a month at a time. Looks like £6.99 per month for sport. Quite a few music things on demand on the entertainment package. 
    Not HD , I think, as it’s via wi fi but it’s not low quality. The little Now box allows you to acces various things like the iPlayer even when you aren’t paying for a monthly subscription. 
    Nope, £6.99 is for 24 hours, £10.99 for 1 week and £40 IIRC for 1 month..

entertainment is £7.99pm and movies £9.99pm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    edited January 2018
    My experience is that Virgin are pretty shoddy, but Sky are freakin' appalling.

With Virgin we get occasional outages for a couple of hours. With Sky we had two 5-day outages and one 10-day outage - both caused by their fuckwit spanner-monkeys.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Who is your BBand provider?
    EE
    Are you staying with them or switching?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    I’d probably go Now TV which will give you Sky content but you are only committed to a month at a time. Looks like £6.99 per month for sport. Quite a few music things on demand on the entertainment package. 
    Nope, £6.99 is for 24 hours, £10.99 for 1 week and £40 IIRC for 1 month..

entertainment is £7.99pm and movies £9.99pm
    Oh, just googled and it said sports £6.99. Wow, that’s quite a lot although I don’t know how that compares to having full blown Sky or Virgin with Sports. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Who is your BBand provider?
    EE
    Are you staying with them or switching?
    Haven’t ruled it out. 

Only stated thinking about it today. 
  • I would struggle to switch from Virgin BBand, I have very little to no issues with it.  I am on 200meg but can do a Speedtest on iPad walls blocking path 25ft  away from router and get 220+meg..

I have a V6 box with mix tv, only because it was £2 extra pm on a 12 month contract from what I was paying for just BBand and I have earned £90 Quidco from it.. the V6 box is very quick when flicking through the menus etc..

but here comes an issues related to your needs.. its a whopping £34pm to add Sky Sports Bundle.. yowsers..

last time I was on Sky I had numerous problems with the BBand and the subsequent lack of customer service... but at £20 extra pm for Sky Sports Bundle its your cheapest option.

I don’t require sports, just the odd Leicester match when its on so I buy a £6.99 NOW TV 24 hr pass for that which I am quite happy with.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    You can get offers on Sky sports on Virgin.  I got mine turned off because it was a ridiculous price, and they phoned me about 3 weeks later with an offer.  It's normally a 6 month thing and goes back up to the full price at the end, but when I phoned at the end of 6 months they offered me another deal on it.

Lat time I had Sky Sports via Virgin I was paying £20 per month when the official price was over £30.  I got it turned off in the end, and these days I buy the odd Now TV one day pass for £6.99 when there is something I really want to watch.
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Had Virgin for years when I lived down in London.  There were faults but they were very quick to fix them and were always helpful, even when our neighbour in the flat below decided to strim through the cable, even though it wasn't their error they fixed it without penalty.

Now I'm up North, they are of course nowhere to be seen, it's either Sky or BT here and I've not met one person who had a good word to say about Sky so we got BT.  Sky want £33 pm for their Sports package, I think we paid less than that with Virgin and we got both BT and Sky.  I miss Virgin to be honest.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8140
    Virgin have appalling customer services. 
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited January 2018
    Been with Virgin broadband for ever (18 years or so). A few outages but overall works well and customer service has been ok. Sky were pushy bastards when they tried to get me to change. Could be worth checking locally as to reliability.
  • I was with Virgin for years, including phone and Broadband,  found them to be very reliable and stable.  Only outages where planned or following a car knocking over the local distribution box and even then they had us back on in 4 hours.  However moved to Sky as they offered  deal I could not refuse and to thsi day (many years and a house move to a non cabled area later) Skys still beat Virgin on price.   Ive also not had any issues with Sky, perhaps Ive been lucky.  We do get a phone call every few months asking of we want sports, the only package we don't have, but when i explain i only watch F1 and we get that through the HD package they immediately back off.  

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5009
    I'd go for Sky TV + Virgin BB.

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Kodi

Did I say that out loud?
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    zgemma box. iptv 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Been with sky for years and not had any problems. Just recently had my broadband upgraded to fibre and speed wasn't too good. Rang them on Friday, they did their tests, booked an engineer who arrived this morning and resolved the issue resulting in just over twice the speed and slightly above what they estimated.  I keep track on their pricing and ring them up when a contract period finishes and ask for new pricing. With the fibre upgrade I said their movie prices were too high and they halved it for 18 months which has effectively paid for the fibre and works out cheaper overall per month. Also got half price fibre upgrade.  Always get through to their customer services and always been really helpful.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    TheMarlin said:
    Virgin have appalling customer services. 
    To be fair they’re all equally shit. 

Been with Virgin for years, we’ve only had two outages that I can remember. One was fixed by the next day, the other we lost service for two days...turned out to be a fault in the street box. We got a credit on the bill for that one.