Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Crisis...

What's Hot
My daughter bought her class hamster home for half term.  Big mistake.

Came down this morning and the cage is open.  Hamster nowhere to be seen.

She was playing with it yesterday and it bit her.  Don't think she closed the door properly afterwards.

Cat is locked out the catflap and not very happy about it.

The door was shut to the room the hamster was in (to keep the cat out), so hopefully it's still in there.  Hopefully it turns up alive before the end of half term.  The cage is now in the middle of the floor with the door open.  Hopefully it decides to go home.  Just don't want to find half of it somewhere with the other half in the cat.
4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sorry, not helpful but all I can think of is Bill Bailey...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When my sister's gerbils escaped they ended up under the piano. Do you have a piano?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    Turn your settee / armchair upside down and see if he / she has gone in.  
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Put out food and water in the cage ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523
    When my sister's gerbils escaped they ended up under the piano. Do you have a piano?
    Only a digital one.  There is a lot of clutter in the room.  About 8 guitars, 3 amps, lots of book.  Spent about 2 hours looking for it.  Need to be careful moving stuff as we don't want to risk crushing it.
    Fretwired said:
    Put out food and water in the cage ..
    Cage is now on the floor with food and water.  Hopefully it will dedide it likes its food and nice fluffy cotton wool stuff.  Just hope it hasn't gone behind a radiator to keep warm and cooked itself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3351
    edited February 2018
    If you've leads, cables in the room, put them away as my old hamster liked a good chomp on the phone wires.
    I hope it turns up safe and well. They like bedding 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Hamsters can be major escapologists. Both my brothers family and my sisters family had hamsters that would often escape and dissappear into the house
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    Sorry, not helpful but all I can think of is Bill Bailey...

Right, that's going in the set tonight!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Buy a male or female hamster, depending on the errant hamster's sexual orientation, stick the new one in the cage and that should attract the escapee hamster.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4388
    Borrow a Jack Russell off someone (not the wicket keeper type). Just don’t let it off the lead. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Possibly a more sensible suggestion - get a bucket and a makeshift ramp (a book is fine) and put some nice smelling food in the bucket. Keep all other sources of food away.

Hammy will get hungry, sniff food and fall in the bucket and be unable to get out (don't worry about the fall, he'll be fine)
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3177
    edited February 2018
    Are you quicker than the cat? Let him in he’ll soon find where it’s is,you’ve just got to get to it befor he does!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Are you quicker than the cat? Let him in he’ll soon find where it’s is,you’ve just got to get to it befor he does!
    Thought about that, but my wife is worrying about the hamster dying of shock and won't let me.
  • You may need to source a near-identical replacement. I did this when Dave (my then five-year old son’s hamster) was found immobile one morning.

Dave II was a couple of inches shorter than Dave - but the swap was never revealed and my son’s first experience with loss was deferred for a couple of years....

I hope it turns up unharmed.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31967
    You may need to source a near-identical replacement. I did this when Dave (my then five-year old son’s hamster) was found immobile one morning.

Dave II was a couple of inches shorter than Dave - but the swap was never revealed and my son’s first experience with loss was deferred for a couple of years....

Exactly this, or as someone else said, the cure for an ill hamster is a new hamster. 

Personally I'd let the cat have a look first, he'll sniff it out pretty sharpish. 
  • You may need to source a near-identical replacement. I did this when Dave (my then five-year old son’s hamster) was found immobile one morning.

School hamsters live to a miraculous age. It's not a coincidence. They do have several minor image changes during their prolonged lifetimes

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Can you not muzzle the cat and let him do the detective work?
    Maybe some soft little booties as well so he doesn't claw the hapless hamster to death.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Can you not muzzle the cat and let him do the detective work?
    Maybe some soft little booties as well so he doesn't claw the hapless hamster to death.
    You've never actually met a cat, I presume?? :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe set a few traps: