Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rural Italians, what a lovely bunch of people

What's Hot
Nope, not a snide comment, but genuine statement. :)

I've spent the last week and a half in the south of Italy in a little town called Terlizzi, visiting my eldest daughter who is teachng English in a small local language school situated in the centre of the community.
Terlizzi is in the heart of the Puglio olive growing region on the 'heel' of Italy, near the Adriatic Sea.

I found the people down there to be so warm and kind it was truly humbling. The town rarely sees tourists and it's quite possible that my daughter is the only native English speaker living in the place.
In ever shop, bakery, stall, restaurant that I visited with her, the owners would shake my hand, tell me their name with a big smile and on many occasions call their other family members out and introduce them to me.
In all my life I have never experienced such warmth and kindness from complete strangers.
My daughter and I were invited to lunch on Sunday and experienced the whole 5 hour Italian family event. It was just wonderful. We were welcomed as part of the family and spent the hours discussing the difference between our two cultures, laughing and drinking and eating fantastic wine and food, with three generations of Italians.
It really was one of the most life affirming experiences I have ever had the privilege of being invited to.

I don't travel abroad much so can't vouch for other countries, but I wondered if any of you folks that do go abroad alot have had similar experiences?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsql said:
    Nope, not a snide comment, but genuine statement. :)

I've spent the last week and a half in the south of Italy in a little town called Terlizzi, visiting my eldest daughter who is teachng English in a small local language school situated in the centre of the community.
    Terlizzi is in the heart of the Puglio olive growing region on the 'heel' of Italy, near the Adriatic Sea.

I found the people down there to be so warm and kind it was truly humbling. The town rarely sees tourists and it's quite possible that my daughter is the only native English speaker living in the place.
    In ever shop, bakery, stall, restaurant that I visited with her, the owners would shake my hand, tell me their name with a big smile and on many occasions call their other family members out and introduce them to me.
    In all my life I have never experienced such warmth and kindness from complete strangers.
    My daughter and I were invited to lunch on Sunday and experienced the whole 5 hour Italian family event. It was just wonderful. We were welcomed as part of the family and spent the hours discussing the difference between our two cultures, laughing and drinking and eating fantastic wine and food, with three generations of Italians.
    It really was one of the most life affirming experiences I have ever had the privilege of being invited to.

I don't travel abroad much so can't vouch for other countries, but I wondered if any of you folks that do go abroad alot have had similar experiences?

Yep, in the north of Italy as well :) 

In a small village where a group of 5 families have lived for generations (including my great great grandfather). On a night meal at a local pizzeria a member of the clan came up to my father upon hearing a Bonatto had returned, offered a bottle of wine, a firm hug and a 'you smell like us' remark. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I've always found that people who don't live in cities are far more welcoming and pleasant than the rude urbanites found all over the world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited February 2018
    I love Italy. My folks and I experienced similar hospitality and friendliness when we were in Sorrento - just a lovely place full of lovely people. They're probably all in such a good mood just because they live in Italy. It'd do it for me too...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16295
    Spain,Italy,Greece,Croatia  etc etc etc ........They are all the same . It is only unusual to us .English are some of the coldest people on Earth.However,so are N.French.N.Germans,Dutch ,Polish,Danish,Swedish.........I think it is the difference between North Europeans and Southern Med Europeans .......cold,harsh,grey North v. Bright,Sunny, Warm,laid back South.
     You could almost draw a line of latitude somewhere South of Lyon / Geneva/ Verona to define this divide.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Generally in the bits of Europe I've been to ( quite a lot of France, bits of the Netherlands, bit of Belgium, bits of Switzerland, bits of Spain) people are more welcoming than in the UK. However, some of that maybe about being on holiday and being in a better mood yourself to start with. 
    If I was going to add a friendly bit of the UK I'd have said the Scottish Highlands but the same theory applies. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The first time I went back to my wife's village in Thailand was pretty similar, food offered everywhere we went, "aunties and uncles" inviting you for drinks etc. It's a nice feeling but it got exhausting after 2 or 3 days then it started to calm down. 
     Rural towns tend to either be amazingly hospitable or slightly suspicious until they see you're with a local. 
    We can be very friendly in the UK but somewhere we draw the line at being hospitable. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15883
    Sassafras said:
    I've always found that people who don't live in cities are far more welcoming and pleasant than the rude urbanites found all over the world.
    this is true, down 'ere we're very welcoming of strangers, they make for such good sport.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    edited February 2018
    Sounds a lot like when a new Fretboarder joins the forum.

Oh wait....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7353
    who wants to buy some land in Italy?? Pics on request. 2 hours outside Rome.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • The Swedes appear initially to be a bit stand of fish, but once you get to know them the friendliest people I know. Get  bit awkward when invited to a BBQ and Sauna at the weekend which involves standing around naked eating, sweating and drinking Vodka.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1340
    The Swedes appear initially to be a bit stand of fish, but once you get to know them the friendliest people I know. Get  bit awkward when invited to a BBQ and Sauna at the weekend which involves standing around naked eating, sweating and drinking Vodka.
    Having to make small talk with tipsy, naked, sweaty, Swedish girls.  Imagine that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Well, my Wife’s Family are Italian and hail from Macerata in the Marche region, they are warm and hospitable if you are white, if you are Black or other ethnicity you are screwed. Never have I met a more openly racist people in my life, brother in law married a Nigerian girl and the kerfuffle that caused was incredible. When they announced that they were expecting a child the first comment was “ it will look like a Monkey” seriously I was left open mouthed at the sheer scale of racism that is prevalent in rural Italy
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    They seem nice but I bet they've cloned your credit card :P
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Foster said:
    They seem nice but I bet they've cloned your credit card :P

And nicked your car stereo.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16295
    sweepy said:
    Well, my Wife’s Family are Italian and hail from Macerata in the Marche region, they are warm and hospitable if you are white, if you are Black or other ethnicity you are screwed. Never have I met a more openly racist people in my life, brother in law married a Nigerian girl and the kerfuffle that caused was incredible. When they announced that they were expecting a child the first comment was “ it will look like a Monkey” seriously I was left open mouthed at the sheer scale of racism that is prevalent in rural Italy
    They didn't have a Fascist government for nothing.
    Although, that's nothing compared to most E European countries especiallyAustria, Poland,Hungary (particularly)
    We forget how tolerant the prevailing attitude in this country is.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2668
    I've toured Europe a lot on the motorbike and I also found the Italians to be a friendly bunch. I was in the Alps last year and stayed at a campsite in Aosta. When I pitched my tent, an Italian family invited me over to their caravan for a glass of wine and something to eat. Thing is, I speak very little Italian and they spoke no English. I spent the whole evening with them, listening to music but neither of us could understand what the other was saying. Great night though. They even gave me a bottle of wine to take with me when I was packing the bike the following morning (with a banging hangover). 

I've found the Spanish to be very friendly too. I've ridden all over France and it's been a bit hit and miss. As said before, much friendlier in the South. The friendliest people I've found are in Germany. I must admit I had a stereotype in my head before I went there but found it to be totally the opposite. Really friendly people, will go out of their way to help and are genuinely interested in where you've been and where you're heading. The roads are epic too. I never get bored of riding there. I stayed in a hotel in the Black Forest and the owner offered me the use of his personal garage so my bike didn't get wet and before he would allow me to go to my room, thrust a large glass of beer into my hand and asked me to sit and tell him about my trip. Just brilliant. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2018
    I've traveled a fair bit and lived in different places, and I quickly came to the conclusion that Britain is full of horrible ignorant people  
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
    Freebird said:
    I've traveled a fair bit and lived in different places, and I quickly came to the conclusion that Britain is full of horrible ignorant people  

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2018

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7430
    Sounds like hell.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom