Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Fooked

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27915
    Garthy said:
    Who is the creditor for the secured notes, and were they secured against? 
    They'll be secured against whatever assets Gibson could identify and present as being of credible value.

Property (assuming that there's some value in whatever they own, over and above any mortgages on that property).
    Plant & machinery (limited value given that there's limited demand/re-sale opportunity).
    Stock (obviously constantly changing and, given cashflow is an issue, probably kept to a minimum nowadays).
    IP (the rights to the Gibson name and the designs that they  own).

I'd guess that most value is in the IP rights.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If they put "proper" shape head stocks on epiphones they'd be saved overnight
    Gibiphone?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My custom has just gone up in value.

Sorry bud it really  won't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    If they put "proper" shape head stocks on epiphones they'd be saved overnight
    Gibiphone?
    Probably. Epson is already taken.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12322
    My money would be on there being Chinese-made Gibson branded Gibsons in shops before the end of 2019, the buyer will almost certainly be a Chinese company, unless one of the other US makers wants the IP (and why would they?).

If I were a Chinese company I'd want to be "allowed" to build to a US spec for a lower price and turn the market upside-down, currently the major brands are only willing to build lower spec guitars in China, which I suspect irritates the Chinese.

They would almost certainly retain a US manufacturing arm, probably custom-shop only, so that the deal gets past the government.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7115
    tFB Trader
    There's no point making equivalent quality Gibson guitars in China, they would lose the kudos of US made product and wages are about the same https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2017/08/04/china-like-wages-now-part-of-u-s-employment-boom/#9849ddb128ad
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    There's no point making equivalent quality Gibson guitars in China, they would lose the kudos of US made product and wages are about the same https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2017/08/04/china-like-wages-now-part-of-u-s-employment-boom/#9849ddb128ad
    The Chinese won't mind about either of those things though...

The "kudos" of US made product is at best an eccentricity of the guitar community, one the US based manufacturers are happy to encourage, as they tier their products that way.  If it were possible (and there is no reason to believe it isn't, that I'm aware of) to manufacture to the spec of the current Les Paul Standard, currently going for over £2000 new, and sell it for £1000, if it is a great guitar, it will sell like buckets.  Currently you are partly paying the cost of financing Gibson's debt when you buy a new Gibson, that would all be gone.

Wages in China are nowhere near as low as they used to be, but then there is literally nothing stopping a Chinese owner manufacturing in Indonesia, or anywhere else.  Yes, it takes time to learn to craft a custom guitar, but it takes very little time to program a CNC machine, and most US made guitars are not hand-made.

You would also get an instant benefit from fixing any manufacturing quirks and eccentricities, and disposing of an entitled US workforce.

Sure, the guitars probably wouldn't hold as much magic for the older generation but the future lies in the younger generation of professional and hobby guitarists.  In a world where the west is getting poorer and gilt-edged pensions and high earning middle-ranking jobs are getting rarer, there will be a big market.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I suspect that the Gibson guitars part will survive in a cut down form. Focus on the classic designs - Les Paul, SG, 335 etc. drop the weird stuff and slash the range of Les Pauls - they could get away with a Studio, Standard, Modern (locking tuners, hi-gain pickups) and the Custom Shop Historic and artist series. It will be a much small business than it is now which may benefit the customer .. better QC and prices.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Paul Reed Smith should be drafted in, I'd love to know what he'd do with the legacy given his friendship with the late Ted McCarty. To be honest though  i doubt he would be interested......

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3423
    I heard a rumour that chappers had been talking to some investment bankers and was going to put in a bid  ;)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7115
    tFB Trader
    There's no point making equivalent quality Gibson guitars in China, they would lose the kudos of US made product 

The "kudos" of US made product is at best an eccentricity of the guitar community, one the US based manufacturers are happy to encourage
    Even young Chinese guys buying a Gibson guitar want the heritage that US made gives them.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Why are so many here against the auto tuners that Gibson fit to some of its guitars?  If it does not make a guitar too heavy or (especially) neck heavy (Gibson achieved that with their SG), what is the problem?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7212
    Rocker said:
    Why are so many here against the auto tuners that Gibson fit to some of its guitars?  If it does not make a guitar too heavy or (especially) neck heavy (Gibson achieved that with their SG), what is the problem?
    Sacrilege innit?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    I've had 2 sets, they both malfunctioned and got stuck on one string. Utter nightmare to tune manually and cannot be relied on to auto tune. I wouldn't want to be reliant on that in a pinch. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    There's no point making equivalent quality Gibson guitars in China, they would lose the kudos of US made product 

The "kudos" of US made product is at best an eccentricity of the guitar community, one the US based manufacturers are happy to encourage
    Even young Chinese guys buying a Gibson guitar want the heritage that US made gives them.
    I don't know any young Chinese guitarists so I will have to assume you do and take your word for it ;)

However I actually meant the Chinese investors buying the company of such a thing were to happen.

As I said it's a guitar eccentricity isn't it? Nobody sees US made as a sign of quality for anything else and the Chinese make much more complicated devices by the millions every year.

I'd honestly say moving manufacturing should if it were to happen help build a future which would have to mean massively lower costs, off shoring would and could be part of that without affecting quality.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Rocker said:
    They slip constantly 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2636
    So if you were thinking of buying an over-priced 335, would it be a smart move to wait and see?
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    strat1990 said:
    NelsonP said:
    This is a bit bleak

"That’s when sales figures revealed a serious sales drop over the past decade.  Specifically, guitar sales have dropped from approximately 1.5 million units annually to roughly 1 million — all in less than a decade. "
    I've heard this a lot. I think a lot of it is to do with the crappy, over manufactured "music" people listen to now, which just doesn't inspire them to pick up and play. Thank God I was bought up on the greats.

So, if Gibson goes under, what happens to epiphone?
    I think this sort of attitude is what puts people off of playing the guitar more than anything else to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    ewal said:
    So if you were thinking of buying an over-priced 335, would it be a smart move to wait and see?
    It would be a smarter move to buy a Collings i35LC instead.