England World Cup X1 - from the past

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    Dodge said:
    crunchman said:
    There are other positions we never seem to be good at - like left side of midfield. 
    You've conveniently forgotten Steve Guppy, who Kevin Keegan desicribed as a left-sided David Beckham.

Indeed.

Is that meant to be a compliment to Guppy?

You might notice that I didn't include the right sided version of Beckham in my side above, although I might have if I'd gone 4-4-2.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1457
    crunchman said:
    Dodge said:
    crunchman said:
    There are other positions we never seem to be good at - like left side of midfield. 
    You've conveniently forgotten Steve Guppy, who Kevin Keegan desicribed as a left-sided David Beckham.

Indeed.

Is that meant to be a compliment to Guppy?

You might notice that I didn't include the right sided version of Beckham in my side above, although I might have if I'd gone 4-4-2.

I don't know, KK said it not me.  ;-)

I remember Guppy being described the answer to our left sided problems, presumably as he was the only person in England playing at that time who actually could kick a ball with his left foot.

I'm not sure our left sided problem has ever truly been resolved - Ashley Young always seems to cut in onto his right foot.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I’m left footed and I can make myself available in 2020.

Mind you, I couldn’t hit a cows arse with a cricket bat for accuracy, and my speed would be described as glacial.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1111
    Alan Thompson was another naturally left-sided midfield touted as a possible solution to the nation's problem, but he was never good as he was for Celtic.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3048
    edited July 2018

It's surprising that no one has mention Hoddle, wasn't he an outstandingly gifted passer of the ball, the kind of midfielder England are crying out for these days, perhaps he would have suited the modern game better.

And a left-field suggestion - Rob Jones was a superb right back who's international career was cut short by injury.

It's surprising that no one has mention Hoddle, wasn't he an outstandingly gifted passer of the ball, the kind of midfielder England are crying out for these days, perhaps he would have suited the modern game better.

He was quite derisory about disabled people tho... 

And a left-field suggestion - Rob Jones was a superb right back who's international career was cut short by injury.

Jones was a good player.  Did think about him before going for Neville.   With a back 3 and wingbacks, I'd probably take Trippier from the current squad though.

Regarding Hoddle, he was incredibly gifted but he wasn't the most industrious.  Gifted as he was though, I don't think he was as gifted as Gascoigne.

Interesting that most people (including me) left out Rooney.  I think we are all remembering the overweight, unfit Rooney of the last  2 or 3 years.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
    crunchman said:

Keeper is difficult.  There isn't anyone with a history of stopping penalties, but Shilton is probably better overall than Seaman, unless you go completely left field and bring in someone who never played much for England.

Both of our semi final appearances have come playing three centre backs, so I'm going with that formation.  Which three is tricky.  You do need ball players back there, but at the same time, I'd really like some pace - which means Des Walker or Sol Campbell.  Campbell needed all his pace to make up for his poor positioning though.  You also want someone who is a dominant header of the ball who can be a threat at set pieces.

Having said all that, I'd go Ferdinand, Adams, and Campbell, and hope Campbell didn't get caught out of position too often.

Stuart Pearce is the left wing back.  Not as fast as Cole, but far better defending the back post on headers, and his left foot was awesome.

Right wing back would be tricky.  I'd probably go for Gary Neville.  He played that role quite well in Euro 1996.  With Pearce and Neville able to drop in, it would give you flexibility to go to a back four if you wanted an attacking substitute.

3 central midfielders.  You need someone to sit in front of the defence.  Nicky Butt did it very very well in the 2002 world cup.  I'd rather have Butt than some of the more "talented" players who would go forwards and get caught out of position.  The other option there would be Ray Wilkins, but I'm just a bit too young to remember him at his best, so I'll go with Butt.

The more attacking midfielders would be Bryan Robson and Gascoigne.

Up front, Lineker is obvious.  The question is who you play off of him.  Keegan wasn't at his best in 82, but he was European player of the year twice.  We haven't had many players of his calibre.  If I could have the 1978 Keegan that would be a no brainer.  If we are sticking to the rules about 82 onwards, I'd probably play it safe and go with Bearsdley, as I know him and Lineker work as a pair.

To summarise:

Shilton

Adams       Ferdinand          Campbell

G Neville                                                      Pearce

Butt

Robson         Gascoigne

Beardsley

Lineker

Edit:  the 1998 version of Owen on the bench as an impact sub.

You strike me as someone with a proper football head. I'm more of a "yay, one of our guys kicked the ball ... yay, one of our guys kicked the ball ... yay, one of our guys kicked the ball ..."
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2825
    David James

Stuart Pearce 
    Frank Lampard snr
    alvin Martin
    rio ferdinand

trevor brooking
    allan Devonshire
    Frank lampard Junior
    michael carrick

Joe cole
    andy carroll 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sev112 said:
    David James

Stuart Pearce 
    Frank Lampard snr
    alvin Martin
    rio ferdinand

trevor brooking
    allan Devonshire
    Frank lampard Junior
    michael carrick

Joe cole
    andy carroll 

Wouldn't you be better with Phil Parkes in goal?

You missed Julian Dicks as well.  I wonder what Neymar would be like when Dicks had finished with him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14612
    tFB Trader

Mind you, I couldn’t hit a cows arse with a cricket bat for accuracy, 
    didn't stop Sterling getting in the team/squad
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

Regarding Hoddle, he was incredibly gifted but he wasn't the most industrious.  Gifted as he was though, I don't think he was as gifted as Gascoigne.

I was torn between Glen and Gazza - couldn't carry both in the same team, so I opted for Gazza,  as I feel more goals would come from him, as well as setting them up 

I personally would not have Beckham anywhere near the squad and certainly not in the team - many will disagree but I won't change my opinion
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    5/3/2 Formation

Seaman

Neville
    Campbell
    Walker 
    Ferdinand 
    Cole

Robson
    Scholes
    Gasgoine 

Rooney
    Lineker

Subs
    Owen
    Shearer
    Terry
    Adams
    Platt
    Pearce
    Shilton

tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ not a bad side/formation - I'd change Wayne for Alan - otherwise a fine side with Robson sitting in the middle of the midfield 3 and Gazza/Scholes slightly ahead and left/right but freedom to roam
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ not a bad side/formation - I'd change Wayne for Alan - otherwise a fine side with Robson sitting in the middle of the midfield 3 and Gazza/Scholes slightly ahead and left/right but freedom to roam
    Robson was at his best earlier in his career when he was making runs into the box.  Ditch Scholes, who will get himself sent off anyway, and play Robson in a more advanced role.

Bring in someone to sit in front of the defence who plays that role naturally.  I picked Butt in my team, but if you want Hargreaves, or someone else, I wouldn't argue with you.  Having Robson in there instead of Scholes also provides a bit more defensively when you don't have the ball.

Has to be Pearce ahead of Cole as well.  Trippier has shown the importance of quality delivery of the ball from the flanks.  Pearce is much better at that than Cole.  He would also be much better in the air at the back post defensively.  The added bonus is that he gives you a quality left footed option at free kicks. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2825
    crunchman said:
    sev112 said:
    David James

Stuart Pearce 
    Frank Lampard snr
    alvin Martin
    rio ferdinand

trevor brooking
    allan Devonshire
    Frank lampard Junior
    michael carrick

Joe cole
    andy carroll 

Wouldn't you be better with Phil Parkes in goal?

You missed Julian Dicks as well.  I wonder what Neymar would be like when Dicks had finished with him.
    :). I had both of them in the first draft !  But the I checked the caps, and they didn’t show :( so I dropped them both for not having enoughengland caps - ha !  :)

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Shilton
    Pearce
    Walker
    Wright
    G. Neville
    Waddle
    Ince
    Scholes or Hoddle or Gascoigne
    Barnes
    Beardsley
    Lineker

Mind you, I couldn’t hit a cows arse with a cricket bat for accuracy, 
    didn't stop Sterling getting in the team/squad
    Only cos he’s a bit quicker than me
    RMJ said:
    Shilton
    Pearce
    Walker
    Wright
    G. Neville
    Waddle
    Ince
    Barnes
    Beardsley
    Lineker

Ince is a good call. Forgot about him.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    crunchman said:
    RMJ said:
    Shilton
    Pearce
    Walker
    Wright
    G. Neville
    Waddle
    Ince
    Barnes
    Beardsley
    Lineker

Ince is a good call. Forgot about him.
    England need a dog in midfield. Not had one for years. Batty was the last I can think of. 

Also....The 1990 world cup squad was exceptional when you look back.