Best drive pedals for under £40

What's Hot

Comments

• longilongi Frets: 95
    ICBM;126943" said:
    You cannot replace a chip with diodes. (Or not and expect the pedal to work, as Dave_Mc said!) Where did this particular bit of internet wisdom come from? :)

The chip does make a small difference, but ironically (since the people who tend to care about these things tend to be the ones who want to use their overdrive pedals as a "clean boost"), normally only when the gain is up high. "Better" chips also sound "worse" generally - the reason the JRC4558D sounds good is because it has poor frequency response and rolls off the top-end a bit.

Hah! I just made myself look an ass!! :) I guess that'll be why Daphon use the 4558 chip then? I didn't see the chip in the SD-1 when it was apart and just assumed!.... Shoulda' know better!
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited January 2014
    Ha, sorry, that came across as a bit rude - but you know how it is with some of these internet wisdoms… ;)

As far as I know all versions of the SD-1 use the 4558. There are some other Boss pedals which don't use the standard 'square' 8-pin Dual In Line IC though, in particular the DS-1 which uses a Single In Line type… for what reason I'm not sure.

These definitely make a difference too - I recently replaced a blown one with the wrong type as an experiment since I didn't have the right one to hand and I couldn't be bothered ordering one… it was pin-compatible, but sounded completely different, much more fuzzy and screechy - in an interesting way, so I left it! I had been given the pedal so it didn't really matter - DS-1s are so cheap that the original owner just went and bought another one. I gave it to a friend, he really likes it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I don't think of myself as a gear snob, and I don't mind digital effects. But drive is the one thing that I want to keep analog. Is anyone going to school me on digital drive?
  • The brief didn't say it couldn't be digital!!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    ICBM said:
    The chip does make a small difference, but ironically (since the people who tend to care about these things tend to be the ones who want to use their overdrive pedals as a "clean boost"), normally only when the gain is up high. "Better" chips also sound "worse" generally - the reason the JRC4558D sounds good is because it has poor frequency response and rolls off the top-end a bit.
    Yeah before my Biyang OD died I swapped chips in it (it had a socket and was a glorified tubescreamer, far as i'm aware) and they did make a bit of difference- definitely noticeable, but they didn't change it into a different pedal, either.

Most guitar stuff seems to be like that (the things which sound best are actually technically worse) :))
    ICBM said:
    Ha, sorry, that came across as a bit rude - but you know how it is with some of these internet wisdoms… ;)

As far as I know all versions of the SD-1 use the 4558. There are some other Boss pedals which don't use the standard 'square' 8-pin Dual In Line IC though, in particular the DS-1 which uses a Single In Line type… for what reason I'm not sure.
    Yeah same here, I didn't mean to be rude, I just thought it was funny.

That's a good point about the SD1, now you mention it I remember seeing on the schematic that it used a 4558 too. Woops :))
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    Just got me a Caline 'Orange Burst' which cost me £20 new from Ebay.

Sounds pretty sweet and is very useable for the money.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Has anyone else got any of the Caline drives? The Blue Sky is meant to be a Timmy clone and there's the Cacti pedal which seems based on the Fulldrive.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited April 2014
    ^ Nope. I actually noticed the cacti the other day when i was fiddling about online giving myself GAS :))

I wonder if the blue sky is actually a timmy clone- by that I mean, has anyone actually reverse-engineered it or are they just going by the knobs? I only ask because the orange burst stonevibe mentioned is (far as I'm aware) an xotic BB clone, so that being the case the blue sky could easily be an RC or AC boost clone rather than a timmy clone, as the knobs are the same- and if my mooer pure boost (RC clone) and dano timmy clones are anything to go by, they sound very close indeed to each other, you could easily confuse one for the other if you hadn't reversed the circuit to know for sure.

Obviously if someone has actually reversed it and found it to be a timmy clone that's different- just a lot of the time you see things being claimed to be clones with little actual evidence behind the claims and they often turn out to be clones of something else instead. :))
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    This is a great thread. Will keep an eye on it, looking for a small drive pedal (ideally xotic sl sized).
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I plugged in my joyo crunch the other day and liked it so much I took it to the gig.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I've got the green Joyo one, their Tubescreamer-without-the-buffer clone. Vintage Overdrive, I think? 
    I paid £16 for it on here, and worth every penny it was too. It sounds like a TubeScreamer, which is a cool thing sometimes. It doesn't sound as good as a Muff. Nothing sounds as good as a Muff. 

Just buy a Muff. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    Exactly like that one and very good it is too. 

I can't really justify it when I have a shredmaster. 
    I have both as well.

The shredmaster sits on a shelf now. It lacks the hooligan factor of the shredmaster. 

I know it doesnt fit in with "new pedal under £40" but used they are £15, you cant go wrong

As documented the joyo ocd clone isnt bad at all for the price.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    I am currently trying out cheap drives

Recently (within the last 6 months) I've bought a Bad Monkey (2nd time I've owned one) a Joyo Ultimate Drive and the Caline Orange Burst.

All of them new cost me in the £20 region.

So got a lot of versatility for around £60 in total.

Still on the lookout for cool cheap drive pedals and so this thread is helping me with that.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I'm going to throw in the little bear R.Attack RT2, metal casing, lm308 chip and does all 3 flavours of rat for under £20 brand new delivered from china!
    only issues are its quite large, the battery clip is bloody stiff and to secure it to a pedalboard you have to remove the feet and battery compartment still ridiculous value for money
    Annoyingly the nux delay pedals seem t have sky rocketed in price as mine cost me £17 and now they are between 40 and 80!
    but if you aren't bothered about names you can get a klon,tube screamer,sweet honey,OCD and a rat for under £40 each these days putting together a cheap pedal board has never been easier or produced such high quality sounds
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited April 2014
    I never trusted the NUX just because with a digital chip I had such strong "you get what you pay for" suspicions, but most of the cheap pedals I've bought have turned out quite well, so I might give it a shot.

Exception: Behringer. I've owned two behringer pedals, both were so awful I gave them to friends, both friends seprately came back and said "wow this thing is a noisy POS huh?". 

Joyos have a bit iffy casings but they dont sound cheap, behringers sound cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited April 2014
    JayGee said:
    Danelectro Cool Cats. 

There's a Transparent OD Mk 1 on my board (along with a Peach Fuzz and a Vibe) and I used to have a Distortion (the red one) on there which also makes a good drive if you keep the gain down and goes back on the board to substitute for the red channel of my Mesa 5:25 for "backline provided" gigs.

They're really good sounding pedals, not good for the price, just good sounding full stop.

I gather the other Drive (the silver one) isn't too shabby either but haven't tried one myself...
    +1 - and get the silver DRIVE too for that squarer wave classic Marshall sound.. but the Transparent Drive is just delicious with all my amps...

Settings for Les Paul into a Super Reverb
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 761

TODV1 is a brilliant pedal, and even the V2 one is great for the price too!

I'm selling my V1 at the momemt though as I've got a Tim clone that I've been using more. I've A/B'd them and I can't hear any difference!

Guv'nor Mk2 is also a keeper, it can get VERY close to a lot of the channels on my JVM. Great pedal to have just in case I need to use a different amp at any time!

I've also got a Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive - there's been a few listed on e-bay recently that have gone for arounf £40. These are great pedals, very versatile/compact

Joyo AC Tone - until I played the Wampler Ace Thirty, this was the best Vox In a Box I had tried! I think all the pedals from this range deserve a lot of praise, great tweakability as well as being able to connect them straight to a PA or a PC for direct recording (The Rocktonics range are exactly the same pedals too, I had both the AC versions and they were great!)