Can anyone help explain this?

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
I just can't understand how that price is even close to reasonable;

I guess it does include a cover at least...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    wood you believe it?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Your confusion comes from thinking you're looking at a piece of guitar equipment, when actually you're looking at some furniture for a dentist/architect/etc.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    I've often wondered that. Surely these pieces would be more practical as furniture if the handle was moved from the top, to the sides? I guess you have to pay extra for common sense...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

Never heard of Myrtle wood! But I guess like most hardwoods it is pretty expensive and they ARE dovetails not finger joints!

No doubt those Mesa speakers are pricey and all up I can see how the cost MIGHT be justified. Shipping and therefore one assumes, insurance is included and the thing must go over 1/2 a hundredweight packed!

But not my cup of char and I doubt it sounds better than a good plywood cab, or even as good?

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    The hardwood cabs do sound different from the ply ones, definitely. Whether better or worse is down to taste I suppose!

I can understand a substantial price for a hand made cab with nice hardwood. (Although maybe not quite *that* much!) What I find harder to justify is the base cost of a standard Mesa cab, and especially the upcharge for a fancy tolex, eg snakeskin or different colours. The manufacturing cost is the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    i'm pretty sure you could get a second hand roadster/roadking for that!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    Your confusion comes from thinking you're looking at a piece of guitar equipment, when actually you're looking at some furniture for a dentist/architect/etc.
    If that was the case, then they could at least have tidied up the wiring or hidden it from view, instead of using a zip tie...
    <space for hire>
    For that price I'd want the label on the right-hand speaker put on straight too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    2 x Black Shadows in 1 cab = serious damage to your back
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567

Nice "Boogie" label?

I'll get me coat.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Erm... as a long standing member of the "I really don't get the fuss about Mesa/Boogie amps" club, I'd say that's the sort of thing that would have more appeal if it was on fire.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    totally
    play every note as if it were your first
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    ecc83 said:

Never heard of Myrtle wood! But I guess like most hardwoods it is pretty expensive and they ARE dovetails not finger joints!

No doubt those Mesa speakers are pricey and all up I can see how the cost MIGHT be justified. Shipping and therefore one assumes, insurance is included and the thing must go over 1/2 a hundredweight packed!

But not my cup of char and I doubt it sounds better than a good plywood cab, or even as good?

Dave.

MESA don't use finger joints on their standard cabs, they use butt joints and staples. Hint, if the manufacturer makes a song and dance about using 18 mm ply, then more than likely they are using butt (or rebate) joints and staples. The 18 mm ply is simply a larger target into which to fire the staple so reducing construction time.

Whether hardwood sounds "better" or "worse" is not really an issue here I suspect, as this will have been constructed mainly for the aesthetics.

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    I had the Mesa 2x12 Recto cab.  60Lbs of back breaking power.

Sounded good, though.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4327
    Jalapeno said:
    They are the wrong Black Shadows. Look like Celestions to me.
    Jalapeno said:
    Not really, they're only the Celestion ones - same weight as V30s. (And also not much more expensive, for what it's worth.)

Now if it was the old EV Black Shadows… yes! The little Mark series combos with those in feel like they're full of concrete.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    I wood'nt...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    impmann said:
    Erm... as a long standing member of the "I really don't get the fuss about Mesa/Boogie amps" club, I'd say that's the sort of thing that would have more appeal if it was on fire.
    Nice one
  • RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    Wonder if the sound has a nice Timbre.....