Fuzz factory clone advice

What's Hot
I've just built a fuzz factory clone using turretboard to this layout:
I want to connect a dpdt switch (not bothered about an led).
Am i right in thinking that the neg from the battery snap is earth?
Also do the input/output wires on the board go to the foot switch or directy to the stereo/mono jacks?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    The neg from the battery snap is earth - the Stab knob is where the positive from the battery comes in, and the knob varies the voltage getting the the circuit, like a dying battery. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited May 2014
    The negative from the battery clip goes to the ring terminal of the input jack, not directly to ground - so it's only connected to ground when a plug is in the jack - otherwise the battery will be on all the time. Although given the current draw of the FF, you wouldn't notice for quite some time…

Also, make sure that you use the 'circuit input to ground' bypass switching and not the standard true bypass arrangement, or the pedal will self-oscillate when it's turned off and may bleed into the bypass signal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cheers for the advice guys!!
    Tested it out - all knobs work ok - the only difference in mine is that the gate knob on the diagram acts as a volume on mine and the vol knob on the diagram is a gate.
    Either way it seems to be very good - certainly compares to the fuzz barn i had previously.
    Happy days.
    A Fuzz Factory was my first electronics/FX project. I've still got it somewhere - I built it with an SHO in the same box. I had fun playing it as an instrument, but all the knobs and weirdness I found to be a bit overwhelming for normal use. I should dig it out and play with it more - I love all that fuzzy splatty stuff it does. I bought a pair of matched AC128 transistors from that dude who sells them for the project, and I bought another pair at the same time in case I had a need to build another one. So they're still in my bits box somewhere...
  • It seems a bit uncontrollable at times - is that normal?
    It seems a bit uncontrollable at times - is that normal?
    No.

It should be a bit uncontrollable *all* the time :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    If you don't think it's broken...

...it's broken.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Is what has been proposed above correct? AC128 trannies are PNP Which would surely make it positive earth circuit, with the + on the battery snap going to earth?? 
    I honestly can't remember - I know I only used one battery in the Fuzz Factory/SHO build, and I don't remember having to work around a positive ground thing....

Fuzz Factories are negative ground.

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    My mistake.
  • Well,
    After i housed it up it stopped working - passes a clean sound but no fuzz whatsoever - i'll trace the wiring after work tmoz - sounded good when it worked though.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Short somewhere, possibly to case.
  • Ok,
    So, if i test it unhoused and touch the stab knob across the wire contacts it works fine but as soon as i house it in the metal enclosure all i get is a clean signal - guessing there's an earthing issue - should i solder a wire directly from the stab knob to earth?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

What DC socket are you using?

What pots are you using?

Pics would be helpful if you can.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Hi,
    Its battery only - and i'm using 5k and 10k as in the layout.
    Are any of the pot terminals touching the casings, or shorted to them with stray bits of solder or anything?

• suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 410
    edited May 2014
    Cant see any - just had a closeup look with a mignifying glass too.
    Take the components out of the casing one by one until it comes back on, if there's enough wire to allow it.

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2014

and i'm using 5k and 10k as in the layout.

Sorry I actually meant as in lug or pcb - basically I was asking as along the lines of what ICBM just asked. 

Is it possible to remove/install pots one at a time to see if one is causing the problem?

Also, when installed there aren't any wires being over-bent or connections strained are there?

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.