Waterslide decal / Tru-oil (aka I'm an idiot)

What's Hot
So I got very excited and ordered a Rothko & Frost custom waterslide decal for my parts Tele, didn't think too much about it until the decal's arrived and the supplied guidance says it won't stick to a Tru-oil finish. 
Balls.

Any suggestions/work-arounds or is this just a case of tough, I'm an idiot and should have checked before I bought it? 
Tim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I seem to recall a vid on U tube that proves otherwise, will go and have a look =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3113
    I have used R and K on Tru Oil...however my last one (last week) on lacquer fell off before I sealed it in lacquer, I put it down to me rushing the job, but perhaps there is an issue with the waterslide adhesive?
    Dunno, I sulked and gave up!!......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    @gary_mac thank you very much indeed!
    Tim
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7073
    Ive put a water slide decal on tru oil. Then a bit or truoil over the top to seal/help it stick at the edges. Works well.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    paulnb57 said:
    I have used R and K on Tru Oil...however my last one (last week) on lacquer fell off before I sealed it in lacquer, I put it down to me rushing the job, but perhaps there is an issue with the waterslide adhesive?

Interesting - would I need to put another coat of oil over the decal once it's on? Wasn't planning on lacquering this neck.
    Tim
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8869
    I’ve used waterslide transfers over Tru-Oil. Admittedly they were print-it-yourself rather than R&F. The solvents in Tru-Oil can cause transfers to shrink and buckle. My solution is a light coat of spray varnish to protect the transfer, followed by more coats of Tru-Oil.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3113
    timmypix said:
    paulnb57 said:

Interesting - would I need to put another coat of oil over the decal once it's on? Wasn't planning on lacquering this neck.
    I would as without that or lacquer the decal would be quite fragile and at risk of being scratched/rubbed off...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Cheers everyone, crisis averted!
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    Cheers everyone, crisis averted!
    Well, I say this, I haven't tried it yet - will post to the board with results in due course.
    Tim
  • Hope it goes well.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    I have attached the R&K metallic decals to Tru oil headstocks, but always sealed them with acrylic clear afterwards.
    Those decals are so incredibly thin so it's imperative that only the lightest of dusting coats are applied over the decal to avoid it shrinking and wrinkling. 
    6 or 7 coats did it for me. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2633
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:
    I have attached the R&K metallic decals to Tru oil headstocks, but always sealed them with acrylic clear afterwards.
    Those decals are so incredibly thin so it's imperative that only the lightest of dusting coats are applied over the decal to avoid it shrinking and wrinkling. 
    6 or 7 coats did it for me. 
    Yes this.. I put the decal on and then spray a thin layer of clear coat on the top of it.. Let it dry and you are sorted.. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5012
    On the bright side, at least it means you won't be able to put a fake Fender logo onto a parts guitar.
    Do R&K still send a test piece with the decals?
    If so try it out on a piece of Tru oiled scrap wood first. 
    Sarge said:
    Unfortunately I'm not exactly the most practical person and I'm in a flat in an city - as such, no scrap wood and no facility/space to spray lacquer on afterwards. Could I rub some more Tru-Oil on after? or would this risk removing the decal?
    Tim
    timmypix said:
    Sarge said:
    Unfortunately I'm not exactly the most practical person and I'm in a flat in an city - as such, no scrap wood and no facility/space to spray lacquer on afterwards. Could I rub some more Tru-Oil on after? or would this risk removing the decal?
    Personally I wouldn't be rubbing anything over their decals. 
    I once sprayed the first coat of clear slightly too wet, but not what you would call "wet"  and the decal wrinkled as it started to dry.
    I don't recommend it but as I've not tried it I don't know for sure. 

Surely you can oil and apply the test piece to something around the house? A cd /dvd case maybe? 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 858
    edited January 2021
    Roland said:
    I’ve used waterslide transfers over Tru-Oil. Admittedly they were print-it-yourself rather than R&F. The solvents in Tru-Oil can cause transfers to shrink and buckle. My solution is a light coat of spray varnish to protect the transfer, followed by more coats of Tru-Oil.
    What spray varnish did you use Roland? Halfords spray lacquer okay?
    https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-clear-lacquer-500ml-468843.html

With Rothko and Frost decals, if you apply tru oil (or any other finish) over the decal manually, the ink rubs off.  

I found out the hard way...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8869
    I used a polyurethane varnish. That Halfords example is acrylic based. I don’t know what the impact would be.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17027
    I always lacquer the headstock face when doing oiled necks, then I oil the rest of the neck once the decal is on and covered in lacquer. 

You can still do this, sand the oil off the headstock first.