Castledine Supra-Vibe - Now the Supra-Vibe appreciation thread

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7022
    I'll never sell it!

*check the classifieds next week*
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3492
    edited March 2020
    @soma1975 I'm concerned a tiny bit that you say it's not as mental sounding as some you've tried. I mean, I don't want anything too ludicrous, but I want it noticeable. This was my experience of the Shin Ei small box. It seemed a lot of money to spend on something that was quite quiet in the mix of things. 

Any chance you could list out your favourite vibes by way of a ranking? Sorry to be a pain.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh it goes louder than unity. I just meant the throb at max isn't ever 'too much throb' which some others have had. You definitely know it is on!

Not played the pricey bastards but prior to this the Jam retrovibe mk2 was my fave and I knocked the intensity trim down just  a hair on that. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1082
    Looks great. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
  • soma1975 said:
    Oh it goes louder than unity. I just meant the throb at max isn't ever 'too much throb' which some others have had. You definitely know it is on!

Not played the pricey bastards but prior to this the Jam retrovibe mk2 was my fave and I knocked the intensity trim down just  a hair on that. 

Superb, thank you! :-) Sounds like a winner. We need some clips on soundcloud with the SV20 ;-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Will do when the family next buggers off. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1375

@soma1975 How is the Fuzz Fella?
    I flipping love it. Been on a huge Fuzz Face journey and spent shedloads trying the latest and greatest. The Fuzz Fella is an inexpensive and practical 'working man's' fuzz face. Excellent cleanup. It's on the smoother side of the spectrum compared to the Red Velvet '68 they make. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1375
    soma1975 said:
    I flipping love it. Been on a huge Fuzz Face journey and spent shedloads trying the latest and greatest. The Fuzz Fella is an inexpensive and practical 'working man's' fuzz face. Excellent cleanup. It's on the smoother side of the spectrum compared to the Red Velvet '68 they make. 
    All the demos of the Chasetone fuzzes I’ve heard have sounded great. And very affordable as well.

I have a Secret Preamp and it is also quite magic and not too expensive. It does a thing that is a very musical thing.
    Anyone know of an inexpensive off the shelf pedal that would work as an expresison pedal? 

From Stu:

The speed pedal has to have a dual gang 100k pot like the original Uni-Vibe, so an off the shelf expression pedal won't work.

It's here!

Woah. All i can say is that it craps on my old deja-vibe from a stratospheric height. It is sooo good.

A big surprise is how good the preamp circuit is. Holy crap. Adds some serious muscularity to the sound.

So happy!
    HNPD

Yep been playing with the preamp on without the vibe for a couple of days and it's lovely.

soma1975 said:
    HNPD

Yep been playing with the preamp on without the vibe for a couple of days and it's lovely.
    Yeah me too! It's great. I'm plugging straight into the vibe > skreddy bc109 > zombie Klone and the Castledine/Klone combo is killing it as always on.
    Just did a swap on here for a Keeley TS9 so chucked that on the board. 

Vibe
    Fuzz Fella
    Bad Bob Booster
    TS9
    Volante. 

The vibe sounds great with any/all of them

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Fuzz after vibe?
    edited March 2020
    Yup. It sounds great with my setup. 

Hate the fizz of fuzz before vibe. 

This was the drybell Vibe machine 2 before the same fuzz fella pedal  I use now. Vibe on from about 54 secs in 

https://soundcloud.com/user-886084606/chase-tone-fuzz-fella-demo

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yep. As recommended by Stu Castledine. Never tried it before. Sounds awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yey. The only issue I have found, and it might be related to the buffer in the TS9, but unity gain plus a tiny bit to offset the perceived drop all modulations have, set perfect with the fuzz face comes out as just under unity if only using the TS9. Of course the answer is to just use the fuzz face but I think it might be either the buffer of the TS9 or its bass rolloff being exaggerated by the vibe. 

FF plus TS plus vibe sounds outrageous. 

soma1975 said:
    Yey. The only issue I have found, and it might be related to the buffer in the TS9, but unity gain plus a tiny bit to offset the perceived drop all modulations have, set perfect with the fuzz face comes out as just under unity if only using the TS9. Of course the answer is to just use the fuzz face but I think it might be either the buffer of the TS9 or its bass rolloff being exaggerated by the vibe. 

FF plus TS plus vibe sounds outrageous. 
    Yeah. Im using a hudson sidecar with the gain off after a klone