Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Protone Music

What's Hot
EppiEppi Frets: 10
Has anyone experience of this seller?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    edited April 2020
    He’s bought guitars from me before but I’ve never bought one from him. Never had any issues dealing with him, though I’d probably never buy from him as the markup is too great. I can get what I’m looking for cheaper on the secondhand market, or not pay a lot extra for brand new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Used to be Greenwoods and now Protone Music. Legit physical shop in Liverpool. 

Used to buy off ebay and sell online but went bricks and mortar a few years ago. 

Legit and a decent guy that owns it. 
    I did a trade with him a couple of years back - and also sold to him about eight years ago without knowing it was him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7453
    Ok , if it’s Greenwoods then I sold an LP Jr to him a few years back via EBay. He bid low but no one else seemed interested and once we agreed the deal he followed through with no problems at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavemateDavemate Frets: 68
    Dealt with protone quite a few times, no problems at all and all items were as described.
  • EppiEppi Frets: 10
    Thanks for this information it is very useful having a wide range of experience to draw on when you are unfamiliar with dealers that are unknown to you.
    Thanks for this information it is very useful having a wide range of experience to draw on when you are unfamiliar with
      dealers that are unknown to you.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9941
    He’s bought a couple of my guitars for lowish but not take the piss prices. Absolutely no issues at all. I knew he was a dealer and I knew he was going to sell at a markup. He didn’t pretend to be anything he wasn’t.
  • I did a car park deal with him a few years back. The guitar I traded (a guild M75 iirc) popped up on eBay within the hour at a hugely inflated price. No idea if it sold at that but I got what I wanted out of the deal so I was cool with it.   
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 781
    Seen him around a lot. Seems to be a decent guy to sell to, but a lousy one to buy from (due to prices, not service).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    Seen him around a lot. Seems to be a decent guy to sell to, but a lousy one to buy from (due to prices, not service).
    I agree. Conversely if he was great to buy from (due to price) he’d be lousy to sell to. Both buyers and sellers do much better if you cut out the middle man and buy and sell on forums like this and not through a second hand car salesman type guitar dealer  :)
    Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.
  • There have been threads about this before, where people have given their opinions and experiences. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/127564/craig-greenwood-greenwoods-protone-music/p1

Whilst operating as 'Greenwoods Music' he and his multiple sock accounts were kicked off the forum for repeated breaches of the rules. 

Draw your own conclusions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    There have been threads about this before, where people have given their opinions and experiences. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/127564/craig-greenwood-greenwoods-protone-music/p1

Whilst operating as 'Greenwoods Music' he and his multiple sock accounts were kicked off the forum for repeated breaches of the rules. 

Draw your own conclusions.
    Thank you for this.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Lists guitars that are sold as available. I've removed them from my watch list
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 380
    gave me an ok price for a cu24 but never got back to me to close the deal after chasing him twice. 

Ive had better experiences with people willing to pay the more reasonable asking prices in forums and try and flip for profit (their risk) elsewhere than store or bedroom dealers that either lowball and/ or not communicate.
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 476
    Heard of him being ok, also heard of him being an absolute prick. He disgraced himself on this forum. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2321
    I wouldn't go there. Personally.  Buying or selling.  
  • CFHCFH Frets: 463
    I’ve had a lot of good dealings with Craig. His prices are high but his trade values are pretty fair, and he’s driven half way across the country to come to me to do deals on more than one occasion. Just my experience of course. 
  • sawyer said:
    Lists guitars that are sold as available. I've removed them from my watch list
    No love for Protone here but you could say that about pretty much any of the big UK guitar retailers.