EHX Soul Food vs Wampler Tumnus

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NelsonP said:
    Honestly I think its just a desire for change and a bit of GAS. Think I'll stick with the Soul Food.

Now, about those Ibanez TS mini's. They look very nice!
    The Keeley Red Dirt Mini is on offer at Andertons at the moment and is a fabulous modded Tubescreamer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I was gigging I'd get something else because the Soul Food isn't especially well made, but soundwise it's probably not worth it.

If you do want to go that route give the Frederick Gold Eagle a go. It's still going to sound like a Klone, but it's handmade in the UK which is a plus in my book.
    Great call for the Frederik Effects. UK made, North London, and a good price. 
    Happy to support a UK entrepreneur. Thanks for that.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    The Tumnus is one of only a handful of drive pedals that has massively impressed me. 

I’ve had other Klon clones that were very ‘meh’ in comparison. 

Kudos to the Mosky Golden Pony. Sounds as good as the Tumnus for peanuts. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    Philtre said:
    jpfamps said:
    57Deluxe said:
    Mosky Golden Horse is the Tumnus clone...
    I've just checked out the price of the Golden Horse.

Can't see how anyone is making money out that; I couldn't buy the parts at that price, and would charge more than the retail to fix it.

Crikey £18.95 from Amazon! Don't suppose anyone's selling a s/h one for a fiver... B) #NorbertColon
    I only paid £9.50 new on a TC specials day... superb little pedal
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The tumnus on the other hand sounds too bassy and I don't quite like it's decay.
    I am sure there is great applications for them.
    Have you tried the ocd? the low gain works so well with any amp/guitar combination it's a spoiler. many cheap clones available too
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    This thread made me experiment with my Tumnus pedal at the weekend there and it works really well for me. My Orange Rocker 15 can be a bit dark for what I want sometimes and the Tumnus into the Dirty channel gave me exactly what I wanted. The Tumnus does have a lot of bass though, but I tuned that out no problem.

I have been looking at OCD's on and off for a couple of years but got confused by all the different iterations and I'm not sure they do anything I can't already do with what I have.

Are the cheap clones as good as the real deal?
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    As mentioned above I've bought an EQD Plumes. Loving it so far and it seems to be much more versatile than a Klon.
    Since I use my drive pedals into an Atomic Amplifire versatility is a good thing as I'm changing amp models all the time.

I listened to an old recording I made using the Soul Food the other day. It did sound good, but it was more of that low - mid gain boosted Fender amp thing that I like when I hear it, but rarely ever use when I play.

I can see myself using the Plumes much more.

For now, I'll probably hang on to the Soul Food as well, but it's not on my board any more.
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    edited December 2019
    andyp said:

I have been looking at OCD's on and off for a couple of years but got confused by all the different iterations and I'm not sure they do anything I can't already do with what I have.

They are different flavours of the same thing really. I personally preferred  the 1.1 version mainly because i found it less in your face mid range wise than others but they really are the same pedal. Should mention I mainly played on vox ac30s and mesa f series amps.

only know the mooer and dano. the mooer one is a faithful clone of version 1.3 or 1.2 can't recall, the danelectro is too muddy for me but get a lot a praise by some.

• bassborabassbora Frets: 133
    andyp said:
    This thread made me experiment with my Tumnus pedal at the weekend there and it works really well for me. My Orange Rocker 15 can be a bit dark for what I want sometimes and the Tumnus into the Dirty channel gave me exactly what I wanted. The Tumnus does have a lot of bass though, but I tuned that out no problem.

Joyo Ultimate Drive is an OCD clone and it’s decent. I still have it because it was so cheap it was not worth selling. I had the v1.4 I think of the OCD and I just thought it was ok much prefer the Wampler pedals. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks both of you, that’s really useful.

:)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Resurrecting this thread, just been comparing a Soul Food and an Archer on my board and have to say I’m preferring the Soul Food by some margin at the moment. I don’t use them with gain above about 2, so boost territory, I reckon the Archer would come into its own at volume But for home use it adds a frequency spike in the midrange that is a little unpleasant, the Soul Food adds it in a different place that is much sweeter with my rig.

Just though I’d mention as it’s easy to make statements like Soul Food shit, Archer great, but as ever there’s never a straight line on these things as the rest of the chain is so variable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10621
    Soul food is one of the best sounding drive pedals I have ever used, much preferred it to the OCD . Unfortunately the build quality is so bad it would make Behringer blush ... the pots are truly awful and anything other than 9V neg centre will fry the pedal .. the IC's blow before the stupid diode shorts so there's no protection. Had they put the diode in series it would protect the circuit. Mine lasted about 50 odd gigs before becoming unreliable due to the pots then an AC supply got plugged in it and promptly fried all 3 chips. I could change then but what's the point when the rest of it is built so bad. Better to get a Klon kit for £25 and build that
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17945
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    Soul food is one of the best sounding drive pedals I have ever used, much preferred it to the OCD . Unfortunately the build quality is so bad it would make Behringer blush ... the pots are truly awful and anything other than 9V neg centre will fry the pedal .. the IC's blow before the stupid diode shorts so there's no protection. Had they put the diode in series it would protect the circuit. Mine lasted about 50 odd gigs before becoming unreliable due to the pots then an AC supply got plugged in it and promptly fried all 3 chips. I could change then but what's the point when the rest of it is built so bad. Better to get a Klon kit for £25 and build that

I've had so much trouble with EHX pedals I won't buy them

@handsomerik was modding them but stopped because they were hard to mod without them breaking because the components were so crap.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    edited May 2020
    My soul food is back on the board as a result of this thread.

Eqd plumes not happy about the situation.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    I had no real complaints about my Soul Food either, it sounded great as a boost in place of a tubescreamer for a less compressed sound that also cleans up better.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5208
    Danny1969 said:
    This...^...I play at home and I thought it’d break if I turned it on....
  • I’m a self confessed Soul Food lover. I think, going into a high headroom tube amp, it’s spot on. Very dynamic and natural and reacts very well to your playing. 

I’ve never been one to use the volume pot on my guitar for ‘cleaning up’ as many do when using a gain pedal, the beauty of the soul food is, for me, that I can get close to this and retain a bit of smooth clean with softer playing and get enough rasp when I dig in and play harder. It suits the type of stuff I play any way. 

I had a Tumnus Deluxe which I thing is a bit more, erm, ... violent??!   It feels a bit more supercharged, definitely louder, loads more bottom end. And ultimately I feel I had to change my playing style a bit to get it to do what the soul food did. Great pedal though, by any means.  

I think all klones are suited better to tube amps, in solid states or modellers I think they only work with gain right down as a ‘lifter’, or bright boost - and there’s better pedals out there for that. 

Biggest issue I’ve always had with the SF is that it just doesn’t look very nice. I’m tempted to just rehouse mine in a plain galvanised box. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020