Pedalworx OD?

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
edited June 2014 in FX
I've scored a Pedalworx Cactus Crunch OD cheap, only because it has a crackly pot seemingly, but hopefully when it turns up I should be able to sort that fairly easily. Can't find much info on them apart from a single YouTube clip. The Pedalworx site is pretty useless as I think this pedal is discontinued (although it does have a quite fetching image of boobies on the home page, not that any of you will go and check of course).

So, any good? Are they rated? I've not spent much so no bother if it's a pile of poo, just wondering if I've unearthed some super rare boutique gem for peanuts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    Fairly early boutique brand that the market moved on from, but good quality products that usually sound as good as anything else if not better . Is it a George blekas or Bob Mcbroom build? Bob was a bit if a legend, unfortunately he passed away relatively recently. His mcboost was better than my Cornish TB83 extra and the mcsqueeze is the best comp ever :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Not sure what vintage it is tbh. I've seen pictures of one in a brown case (the one in the YouTube clip) and there are apparently some in a green metallic case with a cactus graphic. This one's just plain grey. I'll put some pics up when it arrives next week.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882

@Moe_Zambeek.

Well it arrived today. Opened it up and it's dated as a 2006 build on a 2005 board and the PCB has "BL" handwritten on it. I've got no idea who built it, doesn't seem to tally up with either of the builders' initials you suggested. 

I've had a tinker with it and found a couple of faults which were fairly easy to sort out: a broken wire on the output jack and a dodgy input jack which was grounding to the pot next to it (either a bad design or the jack holes have been drilled in the wrong place). A couple of noisy pots will need replacing as they didn't respond to switch cleaner spray very well, but at least it's actually working now. It sounds pretty good, grits up very nicely without getting into major distortion and has a huge amount of level boost. Overall for £20 I'm very happy with it.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    Sounds good.20 quid is a bargain!