Rosewood on Mexis

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Anyone know if Fender are going to go back to rosewood on their Mexican guitars like the Player etc., now that the CITES thing is out of the way?

Or have Fender just used this as an excuse to give their American models something that people will pay more for?

By all means speculate if you don't know.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Pau Ferro and Laurel bring several advantages.
    1) They keep the materials costs proportionate for the Mexican and Asian product ranges.
    2) They kept mass production possible when CITES first hit.
    3) They reinforce the illusion that a rosewood fingerboard warrants a substantial upcharge (or positioning higher up the price range).

The American Professional Jazzmaster is only offered with a maple fingerboard. I suspect that this will remain the case for some time to come.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Pau Ferro and Laurel bring several advantages.
    1) They keep the materials costs proportionate for the Mexican and Asian product ranges.
    2) They kept mass production possible when CITES first hit.
    3) They reinforce the illusion that a rosewood fingerboard warrants a substantial upcharge (or positioning higher up the price range).

The American Professional Jazzmaster is only offered with a maple fingerboard. I suspect that this will remain the case for some time to come.
    Pau Ferro tends to be more expensive than rosewood though. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    edited July 2020
    PF is far more PC than rosewood so likely to be a popular option for the manufacturer
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    rlw said:
    Pau ferro is also a rosewood variant
    Its not technically a Dalbergia, but it is very closely related
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Normal rosewood looks better, imo. Or at least more fitting for what we all know or love.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Loobs said:
    Normal rosewood looks better, imo. Or at least more fitting for what we all know or love.
    Aye I'm surprised to hear they're closely related, they look quite different, that's the only reason I care about rosewood.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    WezV said:
    rlw said:
    Pau ferro is also a rosewood variant
    Its not technically a Dalbergia, but it is very closely related

You are quite right too.  I corrected that and posted something quite different - but obviosuly I didn't :)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    If you look at the rosewood currently being used on the likes of Gibson CS, Fender CS and to some extent PRS -  you can see marked reduction in quality in most new production even at the high end (if darkness/lustre is an indicator of quality). The golden years of rosewood maybe behind us due to lack of supply - hastened by the demand for tropical hardwood furniture in the far east amongst other factors. Even ash is being phased out by fender in it's mid and low ranges due to the impact of climate change of North American ash forests and invasive species spread in the US. There may well be pockets of supply that  where plantation stock come into rotation but that will likely go to the high end stuff.
    I personally find the American exclusive features thing dishonest pricing.

What I mean by that is that they have features that people want but the price difference is disproportionate. I.e. They don't let you have a rosewood fretboard for a bit extra, you have to buy a model that's several times the price.

Not to mention you have to pay the premium for it being made in America even if you couldn't care less where is was made (which surely only Americans would care).
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    The other issue to take into account is logistics - Why spend time and money + peeing of Greta to ship Indian Rosewood to Mexico, when you can obtain Pau Ferro from a yard or two down the road and effectively it will do the same job
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The other issue to take into account is logistics - Why spend time and money + peeing of Greta to ship Indian Rosewood to Mexico, when you can obtain Pau Ferro from a yard or two down the road and effectively it will do the same job
    Cause it looks better lol
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    but 2 rosewoods are not the same anyway - Funnily enough I had this same topic come up today in the shop and the comment was 'it is darker' - I immediately showed a row of LP's to a customer and pointed out they are all the same but massively different regarding colour/texture 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
     guitars4you said:
    thegummy said:
    but 2 rosewoods are not the same anyway - Funnily enough I had this same topic come up today in the shop and the comment was 'it is darker' - I immediately showed a row of LP's to a customer and pointed out they are all the same but massively different regarding colour/texture 
    Very true and let’s not even whisper the whole Fijian vs Honduran vs African mahogany- there be dragons there!
  • I won't buy a guitar with Pau Ferro - end of, saving me a lot at the moment. It looks like Formica 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    i reckon some laurel can look as good as a given piece of rosewood, but the stock photos of the squier 60s p bass i keep wanting to buy look like a very ugly board indeed
    thegummy said:
    Can you tell whether a fretboard is rosewood or pau ferro from looking at it?
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    No
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    No

there will be a range of colours and grain patterns you get in Pau Ferro, and a range of colours and grain you get from Indian Rsoewood.   There is a hell of a lot of cross over in the middle
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    WezV said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    No

there will be a range of colours and grain patterns you get in Pau Ferro, and a range of colours and grain you get from Indian Rsoewood.   There is a hell of a lot of cross over in the middle
    The PF I have seen has a reddish tint and I don't care for it personally. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6231
    I recently found out that a guitar I’d owned was
    Pau Ferro and not the Rosewood I’d believed it was. I hadn’t bothered to check and now I feel completely violated. The wood was very dark with a nice tight grain and the guitar sounded and felt wonderful, so how was I supposed to know it was so inferior??
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom