Pointy guitars

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5822
What are the pros and the cons?
If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    Cons: they look ridiculous.

Pros: unless you're in a hair metal band.  Which looks kinda fun.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    Explore owner here!

Pro: They look ridiculous in a good way - this stuff’s supposed to be fun isn’t it?
    Con: Danger of impaling the singer through the neck with the headstock or the bass player through the chest with the tail fin...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Does an SG count? I go through phases of thinking it looks ok then changing to thinking the "devil horns" look ridiculous and childish. Can't bloody stand ACDC either which is the first thing people associate with one. I originally wanted mine because of Ian Mackaye.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    The pros are you get a great sounding instrument, which can run rings round most vintage gear, they sound brilliant and are usually very easy to play.

Cons are you will chip the horns. 

If you ignore the opinion of most guitarists who think a guitar design should be from the 50s /60s you will find yourself in a position to buy a radical looking guitar which sounds immense and plays so well you csn concentrate on the playing and not the hocus pocus bullshit (mojo) we have been forced to believe in from decades of marketing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • When I was gigging I had a variety of Jackson Kellys and Vs, and I found that they hung in a more comfortable position than Strats
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    Cons: they look ridiculous.

Pros: unless you're in a hair metal band.  Which looks kinda fun.
    You need to try a mockingbird, you would be converted. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Pros: They are great. 
    Cons: Unless its got Gibson on it, it might take a while to resell. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    skunkwerx said:
    Pros: They are great. 
    Cons: Unless its got Gibson on it, it might take a while to resell. 
    The tides are a changing, I sold a Jap warlock within a week and last week my jap mockingbird in a day, the younguns are loving the points! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    I've a 1988 Charvel model 1 ,and it plays easier than any other guitar I've had. Played better than my PRS Custom 22 which was the deciding factor to sell it and keep the Charvel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    sawyer said:
    I've a 1988 Charvel model 1 ,and it plays easier than any other guitar I've had. Played better than my PRS Custom 22 which was the deciding factor to sell it and keep the Charvel.
    I loved the neck on my old Charvel Model 1C! So effortless to play. Wish I'd kept that guitar. Quite fancy one of the single bridge humbucker versions. Mine was HSS which is probably my least favourite pickup config! The prices seem to have gone up a lot though, mine was under £200 but that was about 12 years ago.
  • TTBZ said:
    sawyer said:
    I loved the neck on my old Charvel Model 1C! So effortless to play. Wish I'd kept that guitar. Quite fancy one of the single bridge humbucker versions. Mine was HSS which is probably my least favourite pickup config! The prices seem to have gone up a lot though, mine was under £200 but that was about 12 years ago.
    I do love Jackson & Charvel necks; don't think I've ever had one I didn't get on with. Even the super cheap JS32 Dinky that I had a couple of years ago had a really nice neck. As an added bonus, I've never played a guitar with such good top fret access as my Soloist 

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    TTBZ said:
    SG … ACDC … is the first thing people associate with one.
    Name drop Zal Cleminson!  :)

TTBZ said:
    Charvel Model 1C! So effortless to play. Wish I'd kept that guitar. Quite fancy one of the single bridge humbucker versions.
    My best bitsa Charvel Model series guitar is a 1 neck on a 3 body.

FWIIW, I have an unfinished project single H Charvel, languishing in a corner. This has the JT-6 vibrato inserts.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited August 2020
    TTBZ said:
    sawyer said:
    I do love Jackson & Charvel necks; don't think I've ever had one I didn't get on with. Even the super cheap JS32 Dinky that I had a couple of years ago had a really nice neck. As an added bonus, I've never played a guitar with such good top fret access as my Soloist 
    I recently played a San Dimas (I think) and was surprised at how big the neck felt. Not just wide but it was quite fat too. I found it a bit of an effort to play. Big fan of the Jackson necks though. I'm not a shredder at all but now find myself sat trawling eBay and reverb for Model 1 

Anyone played the super cheap Kramer Barretta Special? Specs seem pretty good for the money (mahogany body, maple neck), are the necks anything like Charvel or Jackson?
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 807
    edited August 2020
    Here's what a Charvel can do:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI4viWY39Ns

This is a Jackson Vinnie Vincent V. The body is actually flat and is painted to look like two guitars. I love it!!! :-

https://i.imgur.com/TuUMAoI.jpg
  • TTBZ said:
    TTBZ said:
    sawyer said:
    I recently played a San Dimas (I think) and was surprised at how big the neck felt. Not just wide but it was quite fat too. I found it a bit of an effort to play. Big fan of the Jackson necks though. I'm not a shredder at all but now find myself sat trawling eBay and reverb for Model 1 

Anyone played the super cheap Kramer Barretta Special? Specs seem pretty good for the money (mahogany body, maple neck), are the necks anything like Charvel or Jackson?
    I don't know about the Kramer, but the Squier Contemporary Active Strat I had last year had an almost identical neck to the Charvel San Dimas Style 2 that I had at the same time 

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    TTBZ said::Anyone played the super cheap Kramer Barretta Special? Specs seem pretty good for the money (mahogany body, maple neck), are the necks anything like Charvel or Jackson?
    I had one for a while and put a Tusq nut on it. Played nice, stayed in tune using the bar and the Alnico pickup was polite. Neck is generic, more like a Pacifica than a Jackson.

I eventually upgraded it by purchasing a Jackson JS22 Dinky for the superior neck and pickups, but I upgraded those ceramic pickups with Artec Alnico humbuckers for something more characterful.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    Only one Con. Necks are too thin. 

Since putting together my own version of a shred guitar recently I'm convinced of it and most super strata/shred guitars just don't have the necks I want. The rest of the specs are great thiugh
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    rocktron said:
    Here's what a Charvel can do:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI4viWY39Ns

This is a Jackson Vinnie Vincent V. The body is actually flat and is painted to look like two guitars. I love it!!! :-

https://i.imgur.com/TuUMAoI.jpg
    the Vinnie Vincent Jackson isn't flat 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mbe said:
    TTBZ said::Anyone played the super cheap Kramer Barretta Special? Specs seem pretty good for the money (mahogany body, maple neck), are the necks anything like Charvel or Jackson?
    I had one for a while and put a Tusq nut on it. Played nice, stayed in tune using the bar and the Alnico pickup was polite. Neck is generic, more like a Pacifica than a Jackson.
    ah, probably won't bother then, will have to keep on the lookout for a used Charvel Model 1!
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 278
    edited September 2020

I reckon Moser guitars rate when it comes to pointy bonkers ness