Guitar options for a little person

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Baby Taylor or similar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8838
    At 5 I’d go for 4 strings. Either a string acoustic, they do exist, or a “low G” baritone ukulele The use has the same tuning as a standard guitar barred at the 5th fret. He can learn chord shapes without stretching for the bass notes.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got one of these as a travel guitar. Epi Pee Wee LP Jack Wilde
    It needs to be tuned about a 5th higher than concert. However, anything with a scale this short is harder to keep in tune.

If you happen to live close to Portsmouth you can have it.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got one of these as a travel guitar. Epi Pee Wee LP Jack Wilde
    It needs to be tuned about a 5th higher than concert. However, anything with a scale this short is harder to keep in tune.

If you happen to live close to Portsmouth you can have it.

That is a most generous offer, however I am in the midlands!

whilst doing a tidy out today I found 3 strat bodies I was given some time ago. They are only the bodies with pickups and a whammy bridge.

they are quite light too, so I was thinking of stripping one back. Painting it his favourite colour, Orange, and then buying a neck and new hardware for it. As I’ve not done this before, where would one acquire these components?
  • If you are looking to keep this on a budget, you might try your local recycling (tip) centre. Where I am this is now by appointment only, so it could be a pain. I see guitars in there from time to time. I bought a hideous strat copy in there last year for a partscaster project. I had a choice of 3. They were £15 each. I was after the body, but the neck seems in good condition too. Electrics & hardwear were dire. Some charity shops have guitars from time to time too. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    I'd really avoid learning on a PoS as it puts a lot of people off.

For £100 the Bullet Mustang is insanely good.
  • I'd really avoid learning on a PoS as it puts a lot of people off.

For £100 the Bullet Mustang is insanely good.
    How is the weight on it? I am very tempted by the slightly more expensing FSR Orange mustang as his favourite colour is orange
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    It's pretty light, but probably not compared to a true mini guitar.

The only daft decision seems to be going with the big headstock which adds weight and makes it a bit neck heavy.
  • There are various vinyl stickers that can be used on flat top guitars. I have seen some (USA) that cover the whole top. Might be a cheaper option.
  • My 8 year old got going with a Danelectro 63. I taught her Seven Nation Army in lockdown but after that the novelty wore off. 

The 5 year old despite have massive hands isn’t ready to learn yet! 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    If you are looking to keep this on a budget, you might try your local recycling (tip) centre. Where I am this is now by appointment only, so it could be a pain. I see guitars in there from time to time. I bought a hideous strat copy in there last year for a partscaster project. I had a choice of 3. They were £15 each. I was after the body, but the neck seems in good condition too. Electrics & hardwear were dire. Some charity shops have guitars from time to time too. 

One of our local charity shops had a Squier bass in recently with no strings on it.  By you had bought a set of strings it would only have been about £10 or £15 cheaper than the same model brand new.  No way of trying it out to see if it works either.  I suspect it's still there unless they have reduced the price significantly.