Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Picks I have known and loved

What's Hot
I happened to be looking through the various tins of "stuff that'll come in useful" above my desk and found one containing a whole load of plectrums of loads of differing styles and brands that I've used over the years starting with teardrop Gibson heavies via Fender, Dunlops of many types / gauges, several weird ones, a dalliance with Timber Tones until I discovered that with the exception of the ebony ones, I wore them out faster than Usain Bolt can run 100m, and finally almost full circle back to Fender heavy.

Strings on the other hand were Ernie Ball for a long time with a change to D'Addario maybe 25 years ago. Anyone else have a pick journey? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Started off using Dunlops, I think the nylon ones when I first started playing. Tried alot of their range, the Delrins, the Gator Grips, Jazz III's before settling on the Tortex wedge ones, the wider surface makes it easier to hold. Tried a few Fender ones but didn't really get on with them and Dunlops have been my go-to since.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 905
    Dunlops 30 years ago, then Tortex, now Herdim, which are quite similar to the Dunlops in many ways, but with a better edge - if you'll pardon the pun ;)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • I'd say Dunlop Nylons from the start. A music shop I got my strings from mustn't have sold anything else! I tried Sharkfins and a few others, a mate had me on those small Gibson boys for a while, but always went back to Nylons. 1mm at the start, but gradually getting lighter over the years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dunlop 1.0mm nylon. Had a brief fling with stubbies but it’s Nylon all the way for me. Anything else feels weird  - although I play with fingers a lot these days at home. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11679
    I went through all manner of Fender and Gibson picks, all shapes, all sizes, all thicknesses until I was given a Herco Flex 50 by a mate and I've been brand-loyal ever since.
  • pjfpjf Frets: 347
    Dunlop Tortex, then Dunlop nylon .70mm gradually moving up to 1mm. Then the acoustic bug bit and I started using V-picks, Red Bear, Blue Chip and various other fancy ones. Then I got a real tortoiseshell pick (repurposed from an old comb, apparently) and used that for a while.

Then in ~2013 I decided to ditch picks altogether as I was playing lots of fingerstyle acoustic. Plus, I (naively) reasoned, if guys like Mark Knopfler can play electric that way, so can I :) Nowadays I still don't use them 99% of the time but tend to keep a couple handy. My pick work certainly won't have improved in recent years but it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse when I do "pick" one up.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    Tortex Green (.88) for me, but recently been using the 'the wedge' versions, white and very slightly larger, but not a lot in it.
  • Dunlop nylon 1mm (the black ones with grip) for the longest time. No idea why I picked them to start with but i just found everything else too hard/slippery for a long time. I used to buy them by packs of 10 and must have lost dozens.

Then decided a year or so ago to try a jazz III as I was after a warmer tone (and to see what the fuss was about). Didn't get on with the small size but liked the tone and added firmness.

Settled on a middle ground with the ultex jazz III XL. Not too dark and not too bright, a bit grippy, nice firm tone. Now I find the Dunlop 1mm a bit floppy and trebly.

Still use it for acoustic strumming though, perfect for that.

Despite having stuck to only two types over 20 years, I still have dozens of different picks in a box, like any self-respecting guitar player :)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I didn't use picks until the last 8 or so years so I'd have to include my fingers in this thread.
    I can only use the tiny Dunlop Stubbies. All other picks feel awkward and uncontrollable.
  • Jazz 3s for so long now I can't remember what I used before that.  Seem to remember little Fender tortoiseshell ones, even smaller than the Jazz 3s for a while, but I probably just went into a shop and bought a few of what I liked the look of without thinking too hard about it.  Always preferred quite stiff though.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I'd say Dunlop Nylons from the start. A music shop I got my strings from mustn't have sold anything else! I tried Sharkfins and a few others, a mate had me on those small Gibson boys for a while, but always went back to Nylons. 1mm at the start, but gradually getting lighter over the years.
    I love Dunlop Nylons. I’ve used 0.88m ones since I was 15. That’s 41 years....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    Gone all round the houses and ended up back with Fender mediums. 

Until I discovered Fender Tortugas. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Yellow, orange and purple Tortex.. then Herco Flex 75s for about 10 years. Then I went to Jazz IIIs about 10 years ago. Ultex 2.0 Jazz IIIs now. The Hercos feel like dustbin lids now!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    soma1975 said:

Until I discovered Fender Tortugas. 
    been meaning to try these. i found i like the sound of celluloid but it's a bit floppy with anything less than an XH/ 1-and-a-bit mm

other than that, 1mm tortex, ultrex and dadd cortex have been in my plec tin for years
  • After using Gibson Tri picks for 25 years, I realised they lagged with the quick alternating picking I had developed. I gave them up (for lead playing) immediately & spent the next 3 years buying every sort of pick I could. 

The weird thing about picks I learned is you usually dont know if it suits you unless you've put several hours of play in with it. Thats why this project took 3 years. I spent enough on picks to have afforded another decent guitar TBH, but it was worth it.

These are some I reviewed during that period.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • T.T.T.T. Frets: 2
    In my early days it was anything I found. Now I only buy Dunlop Tortex Purple 1.14mm.

However, recently I received an "official" Satriani pick set which contained a stainless steel pick.

Just give one a try...
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2066
    jdgm said:
    I spy an Eros in amongst that lot. My favourite pick ever. I wish I’d bought that pack of 50 in the 80s :)
  • Yellow, orange and purple Tortex.. then Herco Flex 75s for about 10 years. Then I went to Jazz IIIs about 10 years ago. Ultex 2.0 Jazz IIIs now. The Hercos feel like dustbin lids now!
    I forgot about the glow in the dark Pickboys.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Jazz III ----> Red Bear ----> Blue Chip(Large Jazz 60)