Coronet/crestwood/Wiltshire type or single p90 guitar?

What's Hot
I saw Peter buck rocking a satellite coronet the other day. Buck fanboy that I am it reignited an unrequited longing for a single p90 solid body (ok Buck’s model is a double pickup, but anyway). 

So I was wondering what my options in that area were, short of a vintage epiphone. Obviously there’s Gibson lpj (double cut) and sgj (I’m also a lemonheads fan). Maybe Gordon smith, maybe. These are all the same, aren’t they? A slap of mahogany with a p90 and wraparound bridge? Beat in mind that Fat necks are a turn off for me. Especially on guitars.  

As I’m not yet sure if it’ll be a keeper or a flipper my budget’s around 500-600 and I’m
probably staying away from small builders’ wares (I know there’s a sexy-looking gsp lpj for sale on the forum). 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Epiphone will have a Coronet/Crestwood out at sometime, maybe hold on for one of them?

• Epiphone will have a Coronet/Crestwood out at sometime, maybe hold on for one of them? 
    Oh yes, I forgot to say I was aware of that. Spec-wise they tick the boxes. Remains to be seen if they’re any good though, and it’ll be a while before they’re on the used market. But yeah, could be a winner. 

Not sure why I’m more drawn to a coronet than a jpj dc though. If I could get over that I could pick up a gibbo pretty easily and flip it if it’s not for me. 
  • Neil at @IvisonGuitars does something for you
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    horsehead said:
    Neil at @IvisonGuitars does something for you
    Not for £500 or £600
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you wanted to go the self-built route, there's an eBay vendor in Italy who makes Crestwood bodies for about £120 (necks also available). I'll see if I can find a link
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    edited September 2020
    tFB Trader
    MattNovak said:
    Me too, it's not worth making one at that money
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • horsehead said:
    Not for £500 or £600
    My bad I missed that bit, but if quality counts and can be afforded somehow...then..
    BOOM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020 tFB Trader
    horsehead said:
    horsehead said:
    Not for £500 or £600
    My bad I missed that bit, but if quality counts and can be afforded somehow...then..
    BOOM
    You're looking at £2k plus for a jnr type build, affordable is a whole different thing
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • horsehead said:
    horsehead said:
    Not for £500 or £600
    BOOM
    You're looking at £2k plus for a jnr type build, affordable is a whole different thing
    Affordability differs to different people man. I did indeed miss OPs original statement about the price range, so it's all good. Just sharing my opinion 
  • MattNovak said:
    I must say I got a bit excited there. But then I figured it’s £100 for the body (alder, presumably mahogany costs more) and £200 for the neck (advertised neck is 3+3 but batwing would be cooler). Plus shipping from Italy, from a guy whose work I don't know the quality of. Then I've got to finish it, add all the parts (which is all fun, but tbh I haven't yet finished my last build/finish project). From the standpoint of cost, predictability of quality & resell value I might be better off with the upcoming Epiphone reissue, even if it makes for a less fun journey.

Maybe if I got a lpj to test the waters it might be less impulsive to invest such money & time into a build. But commissioning a coronet build from Italy just because Peter Buck played something similar is just just kind of impulsive bullshit I do sometimes!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    The neck isn't even compatible with the body as it doesn't have the required long tenon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovak said:
    I must say I got a bit excited there. But then I figured it’s £100 for the body (alder, presumably mahogany costs more) and £200 for the neck (advertised neck is 3+3 but batwing would be cooler). Plus shipping from Italy, from a guy whose work I don't know the quality of. Then I've got to finish it, add all the parts (which is all fun, but tbh I haven't yet finished my last build/finish project). From the standpoint of cost, predictability of quality & resell value I might be better off with the upcoming Epiphone reissue, even if it makes for a less fun journey.

Maybe if I got a lpj to test the waters it might be less impulsive to invest such money & time into a build. But commissioning a coronet build from Italy just because Peter Buck played something similar is just just kind of impulsive bullshit I do sometimes!

It's your lucky day; I've just ordered one so you don't have to. I'll run some templates off it and then build it a neck. Will post pics etc when it arrives.
  • MattNovak said:

It's your lucky day; I've just ordered one so you don't have to. I'll run some templates off it and then build it a neck. Will post pics etc when it arrives.
    Exciting stuff!
    tFB Trader
    Coronet templates you say?

tFB Trader

I just made mine up, guessed DC tele and went with a 59 style anyway, now I've built it I'll be changing it to my own personal taste, too many being made now 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907

D'oh! That'll teach me for having an itchy 'buy it now' trigger finger. Have you made any using these @SteveRobinson ;?
  • Coronet templates you say?

I'm guessing that's the template for the '64 shape? Personally I prefer the more symmetrical horns on the pre '64, but that's just me.
    tFB Trader
    MattNovak said:
    D'oh! That'll teach me for having an itchy 'buy it now' trigger finger. Have you made any using these @SteveRobinson ;?
    Not yet, the first blank is underneath, roughed out ready for routing to shape.
    hessodreamy said:
    I'm guessing that's the template for the '64 shape? Personally I prefer the more symmetrical horns on the pre '64, but that's just me.
    Yes it is, I wanted to use the 6-aside "batwing" headstock so this body shape matches that.
  • hessodreamy said:
    Yes it is, I wanted to use the 6-aside "batwing" headstock so this body shape matches that.
    That's a point. I like the 64 headstock but the pre-64 horns. Still, when I comes to building is there any reason not to mix & match?