Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: Fender Vintera Road Worn Tele, Lake Placid Blue

What's Hot

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    chris78 said:
    chrisv said:
    Haha that’s cool to hear. I really liked that guitar. Hoping they hurry up and release a Road Worn '50s P-Bass too... 
    a roadworn jazzmaster wouldn’t do me any good
    There was a run in shell pink last year I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Chris, I love that... it would look awesome too with an off-white scratch plate. Congrats mate.
    Thanks, I might try the white at some point.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Very nice!
  • It's a beauty for sure. HNGD.
    edited October 2020
    Tried to get a few close ups of the relic work, it’s nicely done I think...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473

That's streets ahead of the original Roadworn belt-sander relicing.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Very very nice. Love my roadworn. Glad they're still as good!

If only they did a 60s version...

If only they did the nitro finish without the fake wear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    Keefy said:

Yes it is. Worth noting these are nearly a grand new. The original Road Worns Teles were like £600, so a very substantial increase.
    They were £859 when launched in 2009. It’s mentioned in the guitar.com review and the original Music Radar review is still up with the pricing on. I paid £920 new for this, so they have managed to keep these Road Worns pretty well priced I think.

For comparison, I bought my Fender Classic Player 50s Strat in 2009 I think and that was around £450. The equivalent Vintera 50s Modified is £849. A Squier Classic Vibe 50s is now closer to the price of my old Classic Player...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    rze99 said:
    Keefy said:

Yes it is. Worth noting these are nearly a grand new. The original Road Worns Teles were like £600, so a very substantial increase.
    They were around 600 at original release,  but that was a long time ago and they did end up increasing to a touch under a grand up to being discontinued.

This definitely is an improvement visually over the brad paisley tele I had. Very nice indeed.
    crunchman said:

Maybe that will come, I think these are a limited run so maybe the gloss will be next? The lacquer classic series were nice, I had the Jaguar.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    crunchman said:

Maybe that will come, I think these are a limited run so maybe the gloss will be next? The lacquer classic series were nice, I had the Jaguar.
    I think they talked in one of the recent andertons videos about the Mexican facility not having a dedicated area for nitro finishing. They essentially have to stop production of the regular poly models, do a run of nitro models, and then back again to poly.

They mentioned this new line would be limited because of that. So I guess the facility must occasionally book to do runs of nitro models across the year.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    chris78 said:
    chrisv said:
    Haha that’s cool to hear. I really liked that guitar. Hoping they hurry up and release a Road Worn '50s P-Bass too... 
    a roadworn jazzmaster wouldn’t do me any good
    There was a run in shell pink last year I think.
    Wish I'd seen that at the time.
    Just looked and you're quite right. Came with American Vintage pickups.

Hmm - WTB thread.....
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    I just picked up a blond Road worn 50’s Tele - not really a relic fan but at this price point I can be a little less serious about it, but.......

Great light weight and sounds fantastic - I’m a Tele convert (amazingly this is my first straightforward vintage spec Tele) but the neck on mine is not the chunky 50’s U they advertise - thought I might be imagining things but my digital callipers confirm that even with strings in place the thickness is much less that it should be at the 12th fret, in fact it’s marginally thinner than at the first fret - someone’s belt sanded this one a bit too much!

Really rather annoying as it’s now going to have to go back as the neck feels a bit odd when everything else about the guitar is really very good.

Come on Fender!
    edited October 2020
    Sorry to hear that, are you getting a replacement?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Sorry to hear that, are you getting a replacement?
    Will probably leave it for now. There isn’t any stock in the Uk until next shipment, I bought from a shop that declares the weight of each guitar so I knew I wasn’t getting a boat anchor, if the neck shape is another variable then it makes it difficult,

I may wait and step up to an American Original Tele or something.
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    nice, especially the lake placid blue.

now you have three from the vintera range, what is your conclusions on them?
    finest1 said:
    nice, especially the lake placid blue.

now you have three from the vintera range, what is your conclusions on them?
    I think they’re very good guitars, with specs I like for reasonable money.  I’ve had good experiences previously with the MIM Classic Series and Classic Player guitars and the Jazzmaster got my interest when the Vintera range was launched, so I got one and I’ve really enjoyed it ever since.

Then I wanted a Strat and I felt the Vintera was a good price/spec balance so went for that and I’m really happy with the Strat too.

Early days with the Road Worn but i’m very impressed so far.  Maybe too soon to say it’s my favourite but that’s my initial feeling.  No issues with any of them, except that I don’t like the stock Jazzmaster bridges so it has a Staytrem.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    Love my vintera 60s strat. White like yours in your image :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Js24Js24 Frets: 7
    Hey @chrisj1602 - thanks for uploading lots of pics! I'm not usually a roadworn guy at all, but your guitar looks great.

I've really wanted to get my hands on a nitro finished Lake Placid Blue Tele for a while, and I managed to stumble across a crazy deal for a new one of these the other day,  and I couldn't say no! Unfortunately I've still got a couple of months before the shop gets stock from Fender, but really looking forward to it turning up and keeping my Jazzmaster company.

Anyway, how are you getting on with it a couple of months down the line? Made any real changes to the guitar? How's the pickups/wiring?

I was originally thinking I'd definitely swap the guard for a white one, but the more I see pics of it with the black guard, the more it grows on me...

Anyway, congrats on the guitar!