Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: Charvel goodness! (or: How early is too early to be considering a refin?)

What's Hot
TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
edited October 2020 in Guitar
Back in 2018 I picked up one of the Japanese RG550 issues, and it was a monster of a guitar. It looked stunning, weighed absolutely nothing, and held tuning like nothing else I've ever owned. Sadly however, I just couldn't deal with that Wizard neck, and I ended up sadly moving it on to a forumite.

Fast forward a year, and the Superstrack itch bites again. I asked on the forums not too long ago for suggestions, specifically looking for something with a meatier neck than the Ibanez.  A certain @ICBM posted a picture of one of the MIM Charvels, and that seemed to be just the ticket. Long story short, I found a B-stock bargain while browsing Autumn sales, and this popped up...

I called the store to enquire about the condition & the guy said it's like new, just without the tags & whatnot - & he wasn't joking, the plastic is still on the pickguard!

It plays like an absolute dream, & sounds meaty as hell... But man, that colour. I know many folks will probably love it, and for the money saved it's not the end of the world, but if anyone near Birmingham has a purple one to trade... I'm genuinely curious as to how much a new finish would cost, though. I'd ideally want some crazy swirly neon purple/pink shit with a matching headstock Kill the resale value all in one go, eh?

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    I love that colour! Although on the way the reflections line up I thought it was kind of a trans finish or sunk into the grain, and that would tip it over into super-cool for me.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 705
    Maybe a custom pickguard from Jack's or similar would give it enough of a makeover to quiet the voices? Wouldn't spend hundreds on a refin unless I knew the guitar was staying for good.
  • Wow, I love that finish - although I think you might be right about a cool swirl job or similar on there  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clearly you don't like it. I'll take it off you :)

Maybe wait a tiny bit and see if you warm up to it? After that you can take the hit on resale value and strike that down as cost of ownership... Who knows, maybe you'll find someone else equally keen on a wacky finish!
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • enjoenjo Frets: 286
    My strat is that colour but it's just not right for a superstrat - my vote is go nuts.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    edited October 2020
    Don't refinish it as it will kill the value. Plus the Specific Ocean or whatever it is called is a sought after colour for these. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    I bought a (cheap) brand new Les Paul Signature T a few years ago and stripped it the day after it arrived. BUT, I am a painting veteran. If I were you, I'd keep that gorgeous colour or trade it for something else.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Just go for it.

A proper swirl job will cost a lot and not add much to the value.  I don't think it will hurt it much,  but might limit the market more than the current colour... You either love swirls or you don't

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Clearly you don't like it. I'll take it off you :)

Maybe wait a tiny bit and see if you warm up to it? After that you can take the hit on resale value and strike that down as cost of ownership... Who knows, maybe you'll find someone else equally keen on a wacky finish!

This is definitely the plan. The title was a bit tongue in cheek, as I'm really not looking to rush out & commit to a refin right away =) Hopefully I do end up loving it.

Cheers all.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    I’d get a new body made rather than refin. Then you spend similar money on a separate asset and can’t get back more of the total outlay later if you need. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 229
    If it gets you the guitar you want, then go for it, lifes too short to worry about re-sale and other such issues.  Just do the research to find a finisher who can meet your needs and standards (I'm sure you would anyway).

Cliff
  • I kind of agree that if you solve the problem with a refinish, then go for it.

I am mulling over the same at the minute and am intrigued by the trade off - spend at least £2-300 in order to de-value by £2-300.

But is that the case (ie would an £800 guitar with a £550 resale only have a £350-400 resale if it had been refinished ???) ?

If the refinish is good quality executed by a reputable source (and there seem to be a number known here), surely the value should go up shouldn’t it ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I quite like the colour, but if you don’t then change it - it’s just a modern guitar, not a vintage holy relic... as long as the finish is done to a proper professional standard it won’t affect the value. (To anyone with sense.)

I have a friend who is always having guitars refinished - I think he’s nuts, but it seems to make him happy!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Just do it! I can highly recommend @lamf68 for the job :)

I have to say though, I really like it the colour it is already
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Just do it! I can highly recommend @lamf68 for the job :)

I have to say though, I really like it the colour it is already
    Seconded he has done a couple of refins for me and have both been excellent.
  • I’d get a new body made rather than refin. Then you spend similar money on a separate asset and can’t get back more of the total outlay later if you need. 
    This is the sensible option, plus probably won't cost much more by the time you factor in the extra effort needed to strip and prep the stock body for a refin!
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    Maybe a different scratchplate might do the trick for you - a bit cheaper and less permanent?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    What @Pabcrane said.
    Slap a white scratchplate on there.
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    Its your guitar so it doesn't matter what you do with it. if you plan on keeping it i wouldn't worry about the value and go crazy with it.

If you one day plan on getting rid of it and dont want to lose money id do one of the many good suggestions already said.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited October 2020
    Just wanted to give this thread a lil update since all I really did in the OP is complain about the colour

2 weeks in now & this thing is just an absolute monster. Plays like a dream with the best neck I've felt on any superstrat style guitar, & it holds tuning just as well as the RG550 I had. The trem isn't quite as responsive (the RG550 trem you could blow at gentle & it'd begin warbling), but it's plenty of fun all the same.

The pickups are permanently dialed to 11, which isn't always my kind of thing, but when it is my kinda thing, the guitar just screams. Cleans in the middle positions are very much me, & I'll keep arguing forever that superstrat cleans can be better than regular strat cleans Nice variety between the inner & outer coils as well.

Only things I've had to do since bringing it in was raise the tuning a little bit as it was a little south of Eb (& it's held tuning perfectly since) & use a bit of furniture polish to stop the whammy bar from sounding a bit sketchy, but other than that? It's a monster. I'm in no way affiliated with the guy selling one in the classified for £350, but feck me, I doubt you'll find anything better for the money.

(Still don't love the colour, though )