have you disliked a certain type of guitar,but then changed your mind when you actually played one?

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Other way round for me.

I had an Epi LP Custom, and it got to the point that it was played 3 times in 3 years, so I PX'd against a Charvel, which gets played a lot.

Also I tried my old teachers PRS (all £3000 worth) and couldn't wait to get back to my £400 Strat......It was lovely to look at, but it didn't feel right to me.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    lol. Yes. The Les Paul. I hated them before I got one. Mostly because I'm an asshole.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4244
    edited June 2014
    Rickenbacker bass, hated the look and my perceived idea on its tone, then had to dep as a bassist one night, and the only bassist that wasn't gigging had a Rickie 4003 so I used that reluctantly. Rickie Guitars I still hate. The bass had a surprisingly good range of tones, and access to all the. Items was so easy,nice bass.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    The first time I played a PRS Custom 24 I found I didn't like it, then I tried a McCarty & loved it. It dawned on me that I like the wide/fat neck profile.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2348

always been into les pauls and humbucker guitars, thinking strats were old mens guitars,but couple of yrs ago picked up an old Japanese squire strat, only started playing it about a year ago and realise what an amazing design in ergonomics, and sound these things are,, however still gig mostly les paul, and a flying v type thing (more for image than anything else)

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11723
    SG

Never liked them but the staff in a shop were noodling on one when I was in there.  I had a go, and it was probably the best guitar I'd ever played.  Ended up buying it.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    edited June 2014
    When I was younger, if it didn't have humbuckers then I simply wasn't interested.  Now I've matured, I much prefer the single coil variety. Having said that, I have a Les Paul type guitar at the moment and I love the sound, I'm just ambivalent about the neck pickup on clean.

I'd also agree with @midlifecrisis about the design of strats.  The way they sit and feel is near perfection.

Balls.  I'm gassing for a strat now.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    edited June 2014
    Strat.  When I started playing I was much more of a lead player than a rhythm player and all the players whose sounds I most liked played Gibsons. Santana, Mick Taylor, early Clapton, Page, Peter Green, early Beck, Larry Carlton with SD. So for several years I played a LP Custom.

Then I got a gig in a "Blues Brothers" type band playing Stax, James Brown etc and most of the recordings were single coil rhythm sounds.  I got the chance to pick up a Tokai Strat which seemed a steal because it was better than the stock Fenders of the era and a helluva lot cheaper so I went for it.  I found it was ideal for the rhythm sound I wanted but what really surprised me was how easily I could get lead sounds very close to what I was used to on the LP.  I realised it was easier to get lead sounds I was happy with on the Strat than get rhythm sounds I liked out of the LP and when cash got tight I sold the LP and kept the Tokai.  I never loved it the way I loved the LP but as a practical, versatile guitar it was the better option.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Musicman guitars, always hated how they look, but after playing one the neck blew me away. Wouldn't own one but it's a guilty pleasure 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    JookyChap said:
    Jaguars.. Always thought they were for girls or for short armed geezers compared to the real thing (a Jazzmaster, obv.)

However, now I'm old and infirm and my arms are clearly shrinking, I can just about put up with them.

They always looked cool mind
    I really wanted to like the Jag the first time I played one. It was a frustrating 5 minutes of over fretting riffs and generally playing like a spanner. I put it down and vowed to never touch one again.

1 year later I am in PMT trying all the Jazzmasters, mascis squier, vmjm, blacktop etc... I got to the Classic player Jag, I refused to play it but the sales lad was really keen for me to try it. I was protesting I didn't like em and I couldn't play them etc...
    Anyway I picked it up, plugged it in and remained welded to it for 50+ mins. Deal done, guitar sold... I only went in for a fuzz pedal....

I now have 5 of the damn things. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteadhockSteadhock Frets: 4
    Honestly I think almost every single one of my guitars have been a 'surprise' purchase. Went in to buy an Ibanez superstrat type, walked out with a PRS. Hated Telecasters with a passion, now I can't get enough of them. Conversely, so many guitars I wanted to love I just hated, too. I had the chance to try out one of the high-end Musicman Petrucci models once and was very excited to see what a top of the range MM would be like...and absolutely hated it. Had real GAS for a Strat for a while too but have just never found one I can get on with well enough (hence the newfound addiction to Teles). But probably the most surprising was the Gibson Firebird X - yes, that one with the strange shape, bluetooth pedals, etc. Every fibre of my being told me to hate that guitar but damn, I actually liked it more than just about any Gibson I've ever tried. Go figure! Not enough to buy one of course, but still.

The only thing more frustrating to me is amps. If only I could fall in love with one I can actually afford...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Steadhock said:
    Honestly I think almost every single one of my guitars have been a 'surprise' purchase. Went in to buy an Ibanez superstrat type, walked out with a PRS.
    Same with me. I went in to buy a Squier Jagmaster and came out with a pink PRS Custom 22 :).

Most of my others have just been in the right place at the right time and discovering that I really like them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Semis. For a while they were the province of
    • people old enough to be my dad, who were into jazzy stuff that didn't include overdriven Marshall stacks
    • 1960's pop groups with short hair, polo neck sweaters, cheesy grins, and twangy stuff with no sustain
    Then I met someone who had a 1968 ES-335. Then I became aware of players like Larry Carlton.

Now I have an ES-335 and an SA2200 :D
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1587
    Like many others here, LPs and Teles. Now have one of each while some of my modern era designed guitars have left the fold! 
  • the humble telecaster

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

It seems my youthful Strat-Aversion is not unusual!

Always been a HB guy. Had a Japanese 335 copy as my first ever guitar(cant even remember the name - i was 15 and a rock dude - never should have sold it), SG, LP. Didnt like Strats. I didnt mind Strat players(although i always thought theyd sound better with a LP!) but id tried a couple and didnt like the string tension or the way they felt. And then as time went on i started liking single coil sounds more and i play with hardly any effects and only just breaking up levels of gain so the Strat's sonic palette started seeming more attractive. Bought one a few months ago and although the pickups werent great and ive recently swapped them out it really is lovely and as people have said its a masterpiece of design and ergonomics.

If i absolutely had to choose one guitar it would be a LP and if i had to play a rough n tumble gig it would be an SG but deep down i know that my Strat might be my best guitar? Does that make sense?     

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

Also, Teles. A lot of my favourite players are Tele-Guys. Robbie Robertson, Keef, Steve Cropper. I should love them but ive tried a few and whether or not they were just poorly set up or bad guitars ive absolutely hated them. Ive just put a SD Twang Banger in a Strat to make it sound more Tele ish so it sure isnt the sound i dislike. Weird. Ive clearly just not found 'the One' yet.

It is my 40th birthday next year.... 

;)
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    PRS. I used to hate them for some reason but then I changed my mind when I played an old standard 24 which was incredibly (bought it there and then).

Telecaster. Used to despise then thinking silly emo and indie kids only played them. Then I tried one out through a cornford carrera and it was one of the best tones I've ever heard
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    Two for me:   
    Ibanez RG.  I had the assumption that they were pointy guitars only made for widdly metal players and would inevitably sound like a fizzy, crappy YouTube video - therefore I hated them.  But over someone’s house I picked one up and literally did not want to put it down, offered him cash and went home with it.  Love the Wizard neck, love the comfortable feel, and love the versatility.  Got three of them. 

Fender Jazzmaster.  Well, it’s got the word “jazz” in it so I closed my mind, because I am not a jazz cat.  These guitars weren’t even on my radar until last year.  I'd literally never noticed them.  I don’t like Strats, (had three, so I've made the effort), to the extent that I figured anything by Fender was probably a bit rubbish — but on a total whim I went and bought a Jazzmaster and even though it’s the opposite of an RG I still really like it — not for its playability, because it’s a bit of an effort as it happens, but because for some reason I feel totally comfortable and psychologically confident playing it on stage.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Jaguars and Jazzmasters - I always thought they were a bit naff and were played by people who were attempting to be cool by playing shit guitars. I played a few and based on their in-shop set up, my views were backed up. Plus with the exception of Elvis Costello and the Beach Boys (and only the Smile-era stuff), I couldn't find anyone who's music I liked that used them...

Then a great friend sent me this link:

Immediately... this was my sort of music... and the mad bugger stage right is playing *that* solo on a Jazzmaster getting that sound (he swaps to the Jazzmaster for the end solo). After trawling Youtube for every performance of this band I could find, and then discovering the mad bugger was called Nels Cline and discovered his even more barking mad solo stuff and his incredible jazz-based stuff... I had to have a Jazzmaster... and so began my offset journey. I now have a Jag and a Jazzmaster - and they are now my main 'home' guitars... I shall one day put together an originals band doing similar style to Wilco, but with a UK-based perspective. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom