EMG pickups pt2. Can I ditch all that solderless stuff and use regular pots/switches?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
I'm getting fed up with all that solderless garbage, With EMG active pickups can one dump all that stuff and just solder in some regular pots, and a regular switch?

What I do know with my stuff now is that the volume pot is definitely buggered. Honestly I'd rather ditch all that stuff and just wire them up in a regular way - one wire to switch, one to ground and presumably one to battery.

Would I need 25k pots?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, just use 25k pots
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Yes, yes, and yes you should.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    It is much easier I find with soldered pots . We keep the 25k ones in stock and CRL switches 
    Even the connection of the battery is easier in my opinion

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Yep - that's what Feline did with the EMGs in my Performance
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    It is much easier I find with soldered pots . We keep the 25k ones in stock and CRL switches 
    Great! How do I order? I can't see them on the Feline website. I'm after 1 vol 1 tone and a 5 way switch.

Can anyone advise me on wiring the battery wires from the pickups? Presumably you wire so that they are only active when the guitar is plugged in?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    edited October 2020
    The red battery lead is connected directly to the red wires of the pick ups ..  the battery is switched into circuit by inserting the guitar lead into the stereo jack which shorts the battery ground to guitar ground
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    50k and 100k pots are acceptable for some applications.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Great! How do I order? I can't see them on the Feline website. I'm after 1 vol 1 tone and a 5 way switch.

Can anyone advise me on wiring the battery wires from the pickups? Presumably you wire so that they are only active when the guitar is plugged in?
    phone me or PM me

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!