Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any love for BC Rich?

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2149
edited November 2020 in Guitar
This just came up on my facebook thread and I just thought 'brilliant' and noticed myself smiling...

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--XEDUtoSE--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1391637572/sze3igmzbmubpys9jcgp.jpg
I always wanted a single point Warlock as a kid, due to this album cover...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW785YAUQAEa2Cr.jpg
I've always been a fan of brands like BC Rich, Steinberger and Parker, but they do get sniffed at. Very different in the bass world.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0743/5341/products/IMG_9106_c4e9f6a6-abbd-4bd3-b0a1-b3f744abd1b7_2048x.jpg?v=1597356328

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I used to have major GAS for BC Rich after watching this;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NTDHjVKQyo

...but BC Rich seems to me like the Alfa Romeo of guitars. Great looks but you'll lose your arse on the resale, and unless you really know what to look for you could end up with a real banger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a Body Art Vampirella Mockingbird, I loved it but I don't have it any more. The new company seems to be aiming itself squarely at the metalheads from what I've seen on Facebook. I really like the new Shredzilla model (crap name though!), although some of them are so blinged up they look like Versace designed them...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 677
    edited November 2020
    A warlock was my first ever "nice" guitar! I remember saving my pocket money for ages and eventually getting it. I even took it to school in the one-size-fits-all foam case that it shipped in which was about 3ft across because I didn't have a proper case for it. Eventually bought a coffin case for it, of course!

Having a floyd rose wasn't a good idea back then when I didn't know how to set it up and use it properly, it was very much a decision based on looks rather than what would've benefitted my playing. I remember the only gig I ever played with it I was about 15 and smashed out a huge divebomb at the end the solo of "Walk" by Pantera, snapped a string and played the rest of the song miles out of tune. Best divebomb I've ever done though!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i've had many a BC Rich and love them. Warlock is probably one of my favourites...but this...this is the best

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    I love the USA Custom shop guitars but they're very expensive. Import BC Rich are very hit or miss. I don't have much love for the new BC Rich, very gaudy purfling smothered all over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They have transformed themselves in the last year, by starting again,  the new extreme series is a truly top end guitar, they have also stopped all low end production and are concentrating on the highend only.
    This needed to happen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I agree but unfortunately the new models have put a lot of the old school fans off. Though there is some hope in the pipeline for the new Ironbirds etc coming next year.
  • I was lucky enough to find and buy a USA Custom Shop Mockingbird Supreme about 15 years ago having wanted one like FOREVER - well at least since I was about 5 and looking at the pictures in a copy of International Musican Magazine in the early 80's.

It's a bloody wonderful thing, and more compact and comfy in person that you might expect.

One of the guys on the BC Rich page in Facebook, was responsible for ordering it originally from the US, and very kindly dug out and sent me the original receipt in the post. There were three that were ordered in the same spec, this one, a Bich, and a Bass of some kind.

Must admit I've never had a go with the import or bolt on versions, or the recent ones, they've never really interested me. 

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I like Parkers but have no interest in BC Rich. Ugly, vulgar, trashy glam rock guitars.
    At least Parker were a bit innovative.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1021
    I had a couple of original Mocking birds back in the 80's they were pretty rare ... they really were exceptionally well built i loved the neck thru design and  the dimazio pickups and the on board pre amp made for a power full beast ...

I saw that ogwt kulick show which alerted me and id seen robin george with his bitch , but a local player had a mocking  bird  and i got in touch and tried it out, it was great  and i decided to get one . The only dealer at the time was in roath near cardiff i think they were called livewire , they were a grand then and i handed over my 79 white les paul custom and 500 sheets eek !

in the end when the novelty of anything pointy  wore off you couldnt give them away ;(  ...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thefezthefez Frets: 131
    edited November 2020
    Schnozz said:

what are all those knobs and pegs for?
  • westwest Frets: 1021
    10 string guitar ... coil splits and an onboard pre-amp ....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ... and pickup phase, Varitone (useless), and varitone on/off - that one has 2 preamps, master volume and master tone, and pickup selector.

The setup on the Mockingbird is much more straightforward.
    Master volume
    Master tone
    Preamp volume
    Varitone - 1st position is off - which is where it should be superglued IMO!

3 way toggle pickup selector
    Coil split per pickup - 2 way mini toggles
    Pickups in/out of phase - 2 way mini toggle
    Preamp on/off - 2 way mini toggle.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1591
    I've got a 72 Mockingbird.  It's the basic one and I replaced the DiMarzio's with Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats.  I still like to play it, it has a really nice neck and actually balances well on a strap.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've said it before, but if anyone comes across a BC Rich Gunslinger that is made in Korea with a dimarzio super distortion, please let me know.

I miss it dearly, and would love another. Sadly they've climbed in value a bit since bedroom dealers started hoovering. 
    Was that the Yellow or Red model?

I had the Red retro blade. Fantastic shred guitar, one of the best infact.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    I've said it before, but if anyone comes across a BC Rich Gunslinger that is made in Korea with a dimarzio super distortion, please let me know.

I miss it dearly, and would love another. Sadly they've climbed in value a bit since bedroom dealers started hoovering. 
    I bought it off you, Crystal?
  • daveyh said:
    I've said it before, but if anyone comes across a BC Rich Gunslinger that is made in Korea with a dimarzio super distortion, please let me know.

I bought it off you, Crystal?
    Correct. 

Lovely guitar that was. Maple neck and board. One pickup. And taxi cab yellow, no less... 
  • Some nice guitars in this thread. In the interest of balance, here's my very unsubtle monstrosity:

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom