Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who is the lead guitarist in this clip?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    That's the way the business works these days, and rightly - performers have wised up to the situation in the past, where if they didn't get a percentage of the writing credits they were back to working in the chip shop once their 15 minutes was up and the record company dumped them.

In my opinion it's not a rip-off - from the point of view of the songwriter, a percentage of the royalties from a hit by a singer who didn't even do *anything* for their cut, is far better than the whole lot from a song which remains unheard. The singer has earned it by simply being the vehicle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Switch625 said:
    I did a google and found that Cathy Dennis also wrote/produced the Kylie hit "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". Amazing what you find out through these random threads.
    She joint wrote it with Rob Davis (guitarist best known for being in Mud)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    Philly_Q said:
    A bizarre thing I just read whilst trying to google this is that Dennis used to go out with Noel Fitzpatrick, the super vet, and that Toxic ( which Dennis co-wrote with Britney) is allegedly about him. 
    Bloody weird world of celebrity. 

Yes, my brother told me that story.  I didn't know who Noel Fitzpatrick was - I guess most people nowadays wouldn't know who Cathy Dennis is.

Switch625 said:
    I did a google and found that Cathy Dennis also wrote/produced the Kylie hit "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". Amazing what you find out through these random threads.
    And co-wrote I Kissed a Girl. I suspect for that and Toxic she probably wrote them and there was an agreement that she got co-writing credits, although entirely my speculation. 
    I heard an interview with some professional songwriter/pianist the other day - can't remember his name and I'd never heard of him before.  He was saying there's quite a complicated etiquette around songwriting credits nowadays.  When you look at new albums by, say, Beyoncé, each individual track has different producers and every track has multiple writing credits - the artist, the producers, the guys they sampled something from, everyone who made some tiny suggestion in the studio... the person who actually wrote the original tune will be in there somewhere, but they're sharing the royalties with a lot of other people.

Noel is one of those people who pop up in odd places on TV/radio. He's a veterinary professor and not very rock and roll so seems a long way away from someone who might go out with a pop star. Although possibly more of a household name these days than Dennis is.  

I watched bits of Supervet and I tended to have reservations about how he charged people huge sums of money for cutting edge procedures on animals. I'd have to rewatch and maybe rethink but the ethics of it didn't sit well with me at the time so he seems an odd figure to me.

Back on the songs I remember listening to an interview with Lilly Allen ( and I quite like some of her stuff) and she was asked about songwriting. From what I understood she came up with some of the words and got 50% of the song writing credit. But she didn't seem to understand that other people would perceive this as her ripping off the actual songwriters. I suppose 50% of the royalties for a song recorded by a successful artist is better than 50% of the royalties for a song recorded by no one so everyone goes along with it. 
    loads of stars do it, you get Madonna, Robbie Williams, etc, "collaborate" with an excellent writer, and then change the words a bit. tbh the real writer will be far better off than they would have been

I try to tell my kids that their boy band favourites who "write their own songs" don't really.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    edited November 2020

The problem with copyright law is that no set of rules you can devise will lead to a fair outcome in all cases, there's always going to be a massive amount of arbitrariness.  Songwriting credits have always to some extent reflected the power structure, and sometimes the price of getting your song on an album by a megastar is being willing to accept they get a writing credit.  It's the way of the world and in many cases reflects a reality: that the main reason your song is going to make a lot of money isn't that it's the greatest song ever written, but because it's been recorded by a top-selling act.

One thing I don't like is that often for political reasons critics refuse to look beyond the songwriting credits.  So we see artists being hailed not only as great performers (which they probably are) but as creative geniuses based on their alleged songwriting, when a modicum of digging around would suggest that their input beyond their singing amounts to some doggerel lyrics.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1738

Noel is one of those people who pop up in odd places on TV/radio. He's a veterinary professor and not very rock and roll so seems a long way away from someone who might go out with a pop star. Although possibly more of a household name these days than Dennis is.  

I watched bits of Supervet and I tended to have reservations about how he charged people huge sums of money for cutting edge procedures on animals. I'd have to rewatch and maybe rethink but the ethics of it didn't sit well with me at the time so he seems an odd figure to me.

I watched one (and only one episode) where he designed and fitted an artificial hip joint to a 3 legged cat (which I think came to the owner as a stray - tho I may just be making that bit up). The final cost to the owner was not disclosed.

My father who is not a cat-person, still relates the tale in disbelief to this very day :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    AK99 said:

I watched one (and only one episode) where he designed and fitted an artificial hip joint to a 3 legged cat (which I think came to the owner as a stray - tho I may just be making that bit up). The final cost to the owner was not disclosed.

My father who is not a cat-person, still relates the tale in disbelief to this very day :)
    My dad had a much loved cat which needed a hip replacement. The poor cat was in serious pain from it and the only alternative was to have him put down (the cat, not Dad... :) ). The insurance didn't cover it, of course.

It cost £4K, some time in the 1990s. Dad still thinks it was worth it - the cat lived about another ten years!

I don't know if I would have done the same, even if I could afford it... it's a tough question.

This may be the most surreal thread diversion on the forum.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • so no-one knows who she is then?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1927
    so no-one knows who she is then?
    Seems not 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1432
    edited November 2020
    Switch625 said:
    The other writer of that song was Rob Davis - guitarist from Mud.

EDIT Just scrolled up and @Jalapeno beat me to it
  • BodBod Frets: 1432
    edited November 2020
    Double post - ignore.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    I thought maybe David St. Hubbins... until I noticed it was a woman.

Spinal Tap co-creators get OK to pursue 400M fraud case
    AK99 said:

I think anyone would be locked up if they attempted anything he does on humans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 603
    edited November 2020
    Could it be Heather Enid Wells?

She mentions that she's played with Cathy Dennis' Dad, and she's from Norwich...

If anybody has Linked In Premium send her a message to find out - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/heather-enid-wells-17226810
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    edited November 2020
    Switch625 said:
    Could it be Heather Enid Wells?

She mentions that she's played with Cathy Dennis' Dad, and she's from Norwich...

If anybody has Linked In Premium send her a message to find out - https://uk.linkedin.com/in/heather-enid-wells-17226810

I don't think it is. I was thinking she looked a teeny bit like Bridget Mermikides (who has done some electric guitar work) but actually I'm sure it's not.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    loads of stars do it, you get Madonna, Robbie Williams, etc, "collaborate" with an excellent writer, and then change the words a bit. tbh the real writer will be far better off than they would have been

I try to tell my kids that their boy band favourites who "write their own songs" don't really.
    This is a popular piece of cynicism but I don't think it's true in most cases. Most pop stars do actually have talent and a strong work ethic, that's usually why they are pop stars. Most of Robbie Williams' hits for instance were co-written with Guy Chambers, and while I'm sure Chambers probably did more of the donkey work, I'm also sure that Williams did more than just change the odd word.

edited November 2020
    Stuckfast said:

This is a popular piece of cynicism but I don't think it's true in most cases. Most pop stars do actually have talent and a strong work ethic, that's usually why they are pop stars. Most of Robbie Williams' hits for instance were co-written with Guy Chambers, and while I'm sure Chambers probably did more of the donkey work, I'm also sure that Williams did more than just change the odd word.

I don't know what each artist does, but you know what I mean
    I suspect it is most of them, they'd be writing songs already if they were able to

in fact, after writing that earlier on I read an interview with Cathy Dennis where she describes this issue herself

here it is: The Gentlewoman – Cathy Dennis

The most intense relationship between writer and performer emerges from co-authorship. Currently on the rise in the music industry, it can be a tricky process, with singers craving credibility and royalties, but having very little to add creatively. Cathy is largely diplomatic. “This year I have been working with artists a lot and mostly I’ve enjoyed it. Of course there are times when people don’t pull their weight. It’s annoying when you give them half a song and you think, ‘Well, you didn’t do anything other than say yes and no!’ But I have said many times over the past year, and I should remind myself right now, that I just don’t think it’s cool to start breaking down who did what in terms of input. What’s done is done

• A bizarre thing I just read whilst trying to google this is that Dennis used to go out with Noel Fitzpatrick, the super vet, and that Toxic ( which Dennis co-wrote with Britney) is allegedly about him. 
    If you go looking on YouTube, there's a video of Cathy's (forever shall she be known, being the pinup of my younger years) original recording of toxic that she gave to Britney.... It's indistinguishable from the released version
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    so no-one knows who she is then?
    No, but it seems she's got a bad hip and might be put down by a celebrity vet.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehead said:
    A bizarre thing I just read whilst trying to google this is that Dennis used to go out with Noel Fitzpatrick, the super vet, and that Toxic ( which Dennis co-wrote with Britney) is allegedly about him. 
    If you go looking on YouTube, there's a video of Cathy's (forever shall she be known, being the pinup of my younger years) original recording of toxic that she gave to Britney.... It's indistinguishable from the released version
    Just waiting on a Teams call. The vocal from that demo forms part of the final Britney version from what I have read and can hear. There's an almost falsetto part from about 40 seconds in that I think is Cathy singing, ostensibly lifted from the demo. She's certainly credited with BVs on the track.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7250
    Is that guitarist the woman who used to be a presenter on Rock School?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.