Guitar practice/slow down apps

What's Hot
SteveFSteveF Frets: 543
What are people using these days?  I had been using Riffstation which I had on my MacBook since I got it.  I somehow missed that fact that it had been discontinued and therefore lost it when I did a clean install of my OS the other day. 

Are there any around that are compatible with Apple Music/Spotify etc?  My only gripe with Riffstation was that I had to sort a non-DRM mp3 for each song I wanted to learn, whereas it would have been nice to just access my Apple Music library and work on songs from there. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited December 2020
    Always found this handy on YouTube?  You can adjust the playback speed without altering the pitch
    https://i.imgur.com/F2RIs0l.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sergiosergio Frets: 119
    I use YouTube for that. The sound quality is worse than the streaming service and it tends to have some weirdness when running at very slow speeds (0.5x or so) but I find it good enough for practicing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve been using Anytune on iPhone and iPad for a few years, which works with tunes in the apple library on the device.  Dunno if it works with streamed music, because I’m not a streaming type.  It allows tempo and pitch adjustment, as well as looping of sections.

Also the YouTube feature mentioned above is pretty good, although no looping.
  • KDogKDog Frets: 1
    You can't loop in Spotify but you can slow it down if you play it in the web app and use the chrome extension called Spotify Playback Speed Access. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3457
    www.guitarbackingtrack.com for me

You can slow down the backing tracks by adjusting the tempo
  • I use Capo, which does all sorts of things, probably more than I need: https://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011

is pretty good but you have to pay a subscription for the slow down feature

• hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 119
    edited December 2020
    I’d normally use audacity. But it can be a bit of a faff if you’re trying to capture the wav from YouTube. But you can loop and alter speed and pitch. I’ll check out some of these others next time. 

Oh yeah, also Songsterr is good. 
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 857
    I use Perfect Tempo - Simple interface and works through iOS devices with Apple Music
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    Another Capo user. I use a different app (4K) if I need to extract the audio from a YouTube video.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 543
    Thanks all, I'll check these out. The new Boss pocket GT thing also looks cool with it's YouTube looping capability but that's a bit more of an expensive option. 
  • Anytune+ on iOS and macOS. Works with any music you have stored locally (inc. music in iTunes libraries) but not with streamed music stored by Apple, Spotify, etc., unless you have a way of capturing the music and making a local file from the streamed data. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7432
    edited December 2020
    Transcribe! It’s a great app for analysing and learning songs. It can use audio or video files (great for learning YouTube downloaded lessons/ performances)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Go Play Along, as you can sync mp3s to Guitar Pro tabs. Loop, slowdown, trainer, etc. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    I use a 4K video downloader. Rip the music from YouTube. Put it into Logic. Change the pitch to whatever key the band plays it in and then bounce it. Then put it on my phone and play along with my Boss Waza Airs. Awesome!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    +1 on Transcribe!

Slow down, speed up, pitch down, pitch up. Its a great tool.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2482
    The way I’ve done it for years works fine for me:

Download You Tube vids with Real Downloader, at the same time saving a MP3 copy.

Import the MP3 into Amazing Slow Downer by Roni Music. Plenty of control over how much of a track is played and looped if required. Very good sound quality even at greatly reduced speeds. Pitch change if wanted. Then can save the slowed tracks to play in other devices. It does all I need and very well.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7432
    merlin said:
    +1 on Transcribe!

Slow down, speed up, pitch down, pitch up. Its a great tool.
    I use the section and measure markers a lot - really helps work out the song structure, timing, and repeat sections and save that data ready for next time I open the file.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    ASD on iOS, free.  Opens your Spotify playlists etc within the app.  Also changes pitch if you want 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1474
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024