Solo of the Month (SotM) #67 - Challenge

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    poopot said:
    I'll probably just cheat and use a pitch shifter!
    Or retune the guitar :)
    Strings are too heavy for standard and I cannot be bothered to restring and reset intonation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeroenvanhulsteijnjeroenvanhulsteijn Frets: 67
    edited February 2021
    Entry coming in.

Recording setup:
    D'Angelico Premier EXL-1 with Benedetto B6 - ZVEX Lo Fi Loop Junky - Double clone of an Ibanez GA10 - Line in laptop - Audacity.

Timing is a little off, but recording makes me nervous. And my dynamics are all over the place. I forgot that it is pretty difficult to get an even tone suitable for recording. Good practice though.

I added a really short echo in Audacitiy. That's it. I don't know how to properly master tracks  

• LogieLogie Frets: 443
    @jeroenvanhulsteijn ;

Timing is a little off, but recording makes me nervous. And my dynamics are all over the place. I forgot that it is pretty difficult to get an even tone suitable for recording. Good practice though.

You and me both :)
  • I've had a few run throughs and they're all rubbish. I'm just not feeling it these days. I'm hopeful something usable will emerge before the closing date!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• joeWjoeW Frets: 462

Agree with everything you said.  Press a red record button and weird things happen to my timing.  Perhaps its always like that and recording just allows me to hear it?  I really might have been better with a less clean tone, but struggled to get a sound that didn't completely suck on playback.  
    Good practise indeed and cheers @poopot for the track.
    edited February 2021
    OK, be gentle  
    My first ever stab at recording to a backing track. It's mainly ad libbed but it ain't jazz! It was quite nerve racking actually and it definitely puts the pressure on to get it right  but maybe it'll improve my playing if I have a bash at one every now and again. 
    I used one of my own patches on the POD GO straight into Audacity with my Fat Strat Texas Special on the Pearly Gates bridge.
    Didn't have any set ideas as I'm a dreaded box player. I started off on the little bluesy figure and winged it from there   

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited February 2021

Logie said:
    OK, be gentle  
    My first ever stab at recording to a backing track. It's mainly ad libbed but it ain't jazz! It was quite nerve racking actually and it definitely puts the pressure on to get it right  but maybe it'll improve my playing if I have a bash at one every now and again...

Could you email the mp3 file to the address given in the original post (repeated below)
    solos@theFB.co.uk

It's not a competition.
  • Entries from @jeroenvanhulsteijn and @joeW are in the playlist in the original post. Good to have some new participants.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 ;

Sorry about that. Guilty of not reading the instructions properly again. Sorted now I think.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited February 2021
    Entry from @Logie now in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    I've had a few run throughs and they're all rubbish. I'm just not feeling it these days. I'm hopeful something usable will emerge before the closing date!
    Not just me then....

Although, I have actually got the middle section sorted I think. I’m just struggling to find a good start and finish.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Well, I'm liking all of these. Well done gents. @Logie your Strat sounds immense. 
    @Deadman ;
    It took me an hour to figure out how to record it but some kind gent on youtube showed me :)
  • DaintyDainty Frets: 18
    Just Sent one... Thanks 
  • Dainty said:
    Just Sent one... Thanks 

It's in the playlist. That makes 8 entries.

A good crop this month and lots of new participants.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closes at midnight tomorrow (21st Feb 2021).

It's not a competition.
  • This was really fun. Has been more than 20 years since last time I recorded something. Thanks @stratman3142 for organizing and for refreshing my weird mixdown!

It was also funny to see really different sounds but all solo's seem to have the same drive / feel / vibe to it. Perhaps that's due to the backing track, pushing us into a certain direction. It was a real nice backing to noodle with. Thanks for delivering @poopot !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Entry closes at midnight tomorrow (21st Feb 2021).

What!! I thought I’d got another week!!! Probably not going to make it then :(
  • Just sent mine in, cutting it fine as I didn't start until Friday evening and was not able to get to it yesterday.

My first ever time doing anything like this, and it's not as polished as I would have liked, hopefully I will have more time next month :)

Recorded this on Logic Pro, using a Boss GT-1 as the interface, but with clean patch with no amps/effects. I just picked an amp preset in Logic and tweaked it a bit. Guitars are a Westone Spectrum DX and a Fender Tele.

I split this into 3 parts, came up with the middle quite quickly, then the third part. Struggled to come up with anything for the first part, but eventually managed it.

Although I have played guitar for a while, I am only just learning theory, and was trying to use arpeggio's of the chords to make it more musical, with the third section being a more minor pentatonic thing.

• Kasalic said:
    Just sent mine in...

That makes 9 entries. It's in the playlist. Thanks for sharing some details.

It's not a competition.