Dunlop Crybaby 535

DarrenDarren Frets: 168
Just bought a Dunlop Crybaby 535 off a very good friend of mine.
Great sounding Wah - never had that many over the years.

I can't seem to find much info on it? It's not the Q version, this is all chromed out with an adjustable boost on the bottom plate and boost switch on the side.

The only information I did find was that somebody mentioning that it had a 6 way control on the side - mine seems to have a 10 way selector. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    I’ve got the original version of it with only four switch settings.

It’s the best-sounding wah I’ve ever heard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    ICBM said:
    I’ve got the original version of it with only four switch settings.

It’s the best-sounding wah I’ve ever heard.
    Were there many different versions of this Wah @ICBM ?

It's great sounding, I was just looking for general info on it and Google didn't bring many results.
  • I have the Q version - it can do moist very well.

Bye!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    Darren said:

Were there many different versions of this Wah @ICBM ?

It's great sounding, I was just looking for general info on it and Google didn't bring many results.
    I knew there was a 6-way switch version, didn’t know about 10.

I don’t know why it’s not more widely known about or rated either - other than probably because it’s usually confused with the 535Q, which it’s not the same as.

For one thing, the 535 (no Q) is fully buffered, not true bypass or half-bypass like the other models. Or at least, the 4-way one is, I can’t be certain about yours. You can easily tell if you look at the switch itself, if it’s a PCB-mount one with only two terminals then the switching is buffered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    I had exactly that version - a chrome 535 non-Q. It’s got some great sounds in it but I didn’t like the tension of the treadle, and it doesn’t have the adjustable tension that newer models do. I also then bought a Helix so it became redundant pretty quickly!

FYI, this model’s a favourite of Adam Jones of TOOL fame.
  • The 535 is excellent. I love it.

I replaced mine with a 535Q which was also extremely good, but I slightly preferred the 535. I don't know if they can sound identical (and maybe they do and my memory plays tricks) but in any case, you've got an excellent wah :) 
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    Thank you for the replies guys. I've only ever had 3 Wah's in total including this one.

Last one was a Morley Bad Horsie which I really liked, but this 535 is definitely more to my liking, tonally. 

Not played around with the boost yet, possibly at the weekend when I get more time. 
  • The 535 is excellent. I love it.

I replaced mine with a 535Q which was also extremely good, but I slightly preferred the 535. I don't know if they can sound identical (and maybe they do and my memory plays tricks) but in any case, you've got an excellent wah :) 
    What would you say the differences between the two were/are ?

Bye!