Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your favourite Tele's that aren't Tele's

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28356
I've always loved the Tele shape. I call something a Tele if it is a Tele shape, even though strictly it isn't one.

Anyway, I thought that it might be interesting if we posted our favourite 'Tele's that aren't Tele's'. To that end I am submitting the first guitar I built, affectionally known as Angel. It's a real bastard - Floyd Rose, BK Nailbomb bridge pickup, Sustainiac in the neck, my own headstock shape, my own graphics, my own Chinese number inlays. It even has LEDs in the neck! You can get a Humbucker style Sustainiac, but I wanted that Frankenstein look of something that isn't quite fit for purpose (visually).

So, what Tele-type guitars do you lot like? Not necessarily something you own, just something you've seen.

1reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4705
    I have one of these which i love, its my most played guitar, pickups have been swapped for a set from a American Telecaster, Saddles have been changed for some brass saddles 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1659
    edited June 2021
    I've got one of these and it's brilliant. The MusicMan pickups are superb, neck a touch beefier feeling than the Luke, push-push built in boost and split, build quality is fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7233
    edited June 2021
    Probably this one fits the bill, though I have lots of off T-style guitars

Or this one

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1056
    My Townsend - SD Pearly gates at the bridge, scalloped board after the 12th fret, finished in real amp tweed fabric - it's bonkers and I love it :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1757
    I had one of these back in about 2007.

Its a 1987 TLE Custom

They look AMAZING to me really brutal.

It's the only guitar I have ever sold due to not being able to get on with the neck - it felt very wide, flat and square - and I wanted to like it so much.

They are basically built like a first Gen Chaparral Custom - Mahogany body, set maple neck, ebony board, boomerangs, Hamer Slammer Pickups, and OFR. The bound top goes around a figured maple Veneer. All that Mahogany made the thing sound HUGE.

I've know where a few other ones are, so I could get another one if I could get some kind assurance that the neck was not the same.

Cool guitar.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3114
    I've always liked the Godin Artisan TC. Quite tratitional for the early 90s.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4298
    I rather like these two;

A Squier Contemporary Telecaster HS (which is reasonably traditional I suppose):

and the Fender White Chicken (which most definitely is not traditional, for Fender at least):

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    I'm such a company man. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/4uFZ3KV.jpg

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 445
    Musicman Axis Supersport. Great guitars and an excellent all rounder.

http://imgur.com/UaJ5pGb
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4298
    I'm such a company man. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/4uFZ3KV.jpg
    They're damned good though - aside from being fairly heavy in my experience!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24136
    @axisus First of all, nice work with that guitar, I love all the detail of the graphics and inlays.  There's a bit of a George Lynch vibe about it.

I do really like traditional Teles, but I also think it's really just a body shape that you can use as a blank canvas for whatever pickups, hardware, finish etc you want, just as people do with Strat-types.  And I quite like the way a Tele balances, in some ways better than a Strat because it doesn't have the extended upper horn.

I liked the Ibanez/Starfield T-type Richie Kotzen had for a while:

Also the one Carlos Cavazo had with Quiet Riot, I don't even know what make it was:

Carlos Cavazo

The Blues Saraceno Samicks were sort of Tele-ish:

ExtinctDefunctRare Guitars - Page 2  Guitar Cool guitar Guitar  collection

And I know it's not a popular choice, but I like the Strat/Tele hybrid thing.  Not so keen on this one with 50s styling, I'd like one with a big '70s headstock, humbuckers and a black scratchplate.  Like a more streamlined Tele Deluxe.

Fender Unveils Parallel Universe Guitar Series Featuring Strat-Tele  Hybrid Jazz Tele amp More  Music News  Ultimate-GuitarCom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2484
    Closest to the recipe is the G&L ASAT - my friend has one and the pickups are just brilliant, and the neck is great.

As for stuff I haven't played, I do love the look of the Pacifica Teles as mentioned by Ross above. I started on a Pacifica so I'll always have a soft spot for them.

But I really love the Fender Troublemaker Teles, I'd love to have a go on one.

See the source image

Especially Dan Hawkins' from the Darkness, which is such a cool hot rod take on it - single Bare Knuckle Nailbomb and a custom guard to hide the neck pickup cavity:

Tim
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4303
    I’ll go with my Charvel which I posted in the other thread earlier:

I also quite like the look of the Ibanez FRIX, although I played one in Andertons once and I was pretty underwhelmed with it. Looks like they might have been discontinued.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2072
    axisus said:

I remember this guitar from long, long ago - Still think it's badass. Great thing.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited June 2021
    My Feline Tabby Special, Schaller Floyd. Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells, oversized Fat Cat trem block. Sounds huge! 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4853
    edited December 2021
    Still thoroughly enjoying my Harley Benton TE52NA which is my 'go to' on my guitar stand. I replaced the tuners with Wilkinson but kept the traditional deluxe look, put brass compensated saddles on, polished the frets, & smoothed a couple of the fret ends. Had a slight wobble with microphonic feedback but it was the bridge plate not the pickup and a few thin bits of blutack under the plate sorted that. The maple neck is quite chunky but supremely comfortable, and the Roswell pickups are blindingly good. At 8lb 4oz it's not light but looks, plays, & sounds great with a terrific low action.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73488

Late-80s HMT acoustic-electric. Thinline body, Lace Sensor neck pickup, piezo bridge pickup.

I owned one about fifteen years ago, largely because one of my major musical influences, Heather Nova, used to play one.

It's an odd-looking thing, but the best-sounding 'solid acoustic' I've ever heard. Sadly I couldn't get on with the neck - wide, flat and with huge frets, and with a non-standard neck joint so not easily replaceable. Even odder, the body is very slightly oversized, so it doesn't fit in a standard Tele shaped case. Why?!

I'd quite like it back though... I could probably do something about the frets and maybe re-radius the board.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12148
    Anderson Cobra
    Japanese Pawnshop 51
    Harley Benton thinline
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4179
    I’ll go with my Charvel which I posted in the other thread earlier:

I also quite like the look of the Ibanez FRIX, although I played one in Andertons once and I was pretty underwhelmed with it. Looks like they might have been discontinued.
    Love that Charvel. It's not a current model?