New Wolf Alice Somg

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8533
Lead single from their 3rd album set for June release. It’s stunning IMHO.

Disclaimer, I’m a big Wolf Alice fan, My Love Is Cool probably my fav debut album of the previous decade, and Visions of a Life took them to new places as a good second album should and took in a Mercury music prize win along the way.

https://youtu.be/xzH6toY_EPw

For a young band, I quite like the way they are going a fairly trad route - social media darlings they’re not, great albums every few years that push them on, and tour the ass of in between (when they can of course),
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Oh wow! My fav band of the last few years. Thanks for this. I didn't know they had a new album coming out. As an aside - have you got Joff Oddie's acoustic album To Mr Fahey? All acoustic instrumentals Even does Steve Howe's The Clap. It was a limited run, but there may be some kicking around still. Came out last year. Loads of great WA gigs on YT. I'm working my way through them. Superb live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I first heard a clip, I thought oh dear, not a ballad. But after a proper listen, I really fell for it, it’s a beautiful song. Look forward to the album, which they say will have plenty of guitar action.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2867
    Not doing it for me. I loved their first album with the strong 90s alternative vibes, but nothing since has really had that so I've not enjoyed it so much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8476
    That's a lovely track, thanks for that! Saw them in 2017 (iirc) when they came through Brum, love that first album.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11469
    tFB Trader
    Need to listen some more - especially as we look after Joff's electric guitar

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Huge Wolf Alice fan, been lucky enough to see them live a couple of times. I think they’re the most exciting new band in years
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8533
    Nice Jonathan - is that the Jaguar? 
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 247
    edited March 2021
    I've liked them since the original EPs. I'm not sure about this one though.
  • Incredible band, been into them since they first broke. Also saw them at Kentish Town Forum and they were spectacularly good live. The new one sounds excellent as well, they strike me as a band constantly willing to experiment with new genres/sounds.

Additionally, and I'm sorry for lowering the tone, but I do have a titanic crush on Ellie Rowsell. What a voice. There is a film of them playing Don't Delete The Kisses at the Mercury Prize ceremony, and her singing is HUGE and I did get goosebumps. Also, Joff Oddie's guitar work and use of effects is, of course, always superb.
    This maybe of interest to some of you - only stumbled across it yesterday.
    Just beautiful...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71865
    I'm the other way round from most here - I've always found them uninspiring, I've tried a couple of times and they just don't do anything for me at all (including the Song To The Siren cover)... but I heard this song on the radio today and really liked it - was surprised to find it was them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11469
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Nice Jonathan - is that the Jaguar? 
    Yes - we refretted it last time it was in.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• How about this then? It's bloody brilliant

Yup, albums looking good so far.....
    I wondered if anyone was going to put this up. I've watched it four times thus far. Wish pub bands I've seen were as good.
    This is the best live version I’ve yet heard of “Last Man.....” Ellie’s vocals are spot on and she goes for the piano high notes, and Joff is an underrated guitarist, his pedalboard is an orchestra. Absolutely love the new album too.

https://youtu.be/6qkWM8OavQc

• chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    Wolf Alice are bloody ace! Talent and humour  :)

Been with them from earlyish. “You’re a germ” on TFI Friday was the first time i’d seen them play, and i was hooked.

Their Tiny Desk gig is superb.

”Lipstick on the glass” is my fav on Blue Weekend.
  • Its weird isnt it? I am fairly sure they'd have been 'also rans' in the early/mid 90's indie scene..... and I also suspect that rather than being a fantastic band they are more well produced.....but most importantly I think that whoever is writing the songs has a genuine gift for melody.... so many of their songs are quirky earworms..... I think they are an exciting band as I think their best work is in front of them - the singer has a massive voice which can be explored further and I think they'll eventually step all the way out from underneath the shadow of their influences as they grow in confidence.... thats not to say I havent enjoyed what they have put out so far - I have - I had my fill of indie in the 90's and would mostly dismiss retreads but they have so many good songs 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18262
    Wolf Alice in the running for a second Mercury Prize :+1:   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57913364
    Well deserved, it’s a fantastic album. And I’m not sure I agree that they would have been also rans in the 90s, right from their debut, yes you can clearly see their influences, but the strength and substance of their material was what struck me. And listen to Delicious Things (and quite a few other things) from the new album, I can’t think of where this directly defends from, they’re definitely growing their own style.