Arrrgggghhh! This hum is driving me mad!!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2166
    Yeah, I’m calling an electrician today. Through the help on here and a few phone calls to other people, it does seem like it’s the house at fault. 
    In some ways I prefer that than for the gear to be faulty. 

Thanks for your help, all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    Go Acoustic or move house :-) . . . . Joking apart I had a similar problem at my last house . . . If the light was switched on in the dining room down stairs, my amp buzzed like crazy regardless of where it was plugged in . . .  Eventually found an eathing problem ( quite a few actually ) in the Extension . . . Then we moved house :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    ICBM said:

It's not the Victorians you have to worry about, it's the modern bodgers...

Indeed. Even late Victorian houses didn't have it installed when built, at least not your standard Victorian semi/terrace, grander houses much more likely. Generally late Edwardian when middle class domestic properties started getting it installed I think. Much more common in normal dwellings from 1930's on. It was still common in remote areas for houses not be mains powered until the 70's, my grandparents didn't have it until the 80's but that was a supply issue to a remote farm.
  • You need a good filtered supply (extension) board. You are picking up computer PSU switching noise through the mains supply, they are the noisiest items in the universe. Depending where amp and computer are plugged in it will get better or worse. Do you get the problem when computer is running on battery only and PSU unplugged?
    You are right to get supply checked, a plug in unit (plug with LEDS on)  can check L to N, L to E and N to E for earth and other faults. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom