Studio monitor advice

What's Hot
Hi guys

I used to be all about the valve amps but due to living circumstances and small child I have sold them to go down the DAW / monitors route with occasional headphone use.

I play classic rock (think Darkness to ZZ Top) and have a Scarlett Solo to plug into but don't have any monitors (speakers) yet.

Budget is up to £300 for a pair. I've read reviews but wondered if anyone could give me firsthand experience?

Cheers
Andy
1979 Tokai TE-85
1980 Tokai LS-80
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

  • adaminoadamino Frets: 116
    Kali Audio LP6
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 3552
    Got a stunning pair of APS Aeons for sale, bit more than you are looking for  at £450 but these are proper speakers tbh

     https://gearspace.com/board/reviews/794895-aps-aeon.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • J.PJ.P Frets: 25
    Can’t go wrong with a set of Yamaha HS5s. Successors to the industry standard NS range. Pretty honest sounding. I’ve been running modellers/plugins through them for years and works for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3706
    J.P said:
    Can’t go wrong with a set of Yamaha HS5s. Successors to the industry standard NS range. Pretty honest sounding. I’ve been running modellers/plugins through them for years and works for me. 
    Personally think although the HS-5's look great, I think there are better sounding monitors for the same Money.  Presonus E5 XT's or KRKR Rokit's are 2 that spring to ming

    After trying a few in that price range I settled on the KRK's and really like them


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • J.PJ.P Frets: 25
    John_A said:
    J.P said:
    Can’t go wrong with a set of Yamaha HS5s. Successors to the industry standard NS range. Pretty honest sounding. I’ve been running modellers/plugins through them for years and works for me. 
    Personally think although the HS-5's look great, I think there are better sounding monitors for the same Money.  Presonus E5 XT's or KRKR Rokit's are 2 that spring to ming

    After trying a few in that price range I settled on the KRK's and really like them


    Nice one, KRKs are cool as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m selling my pair of Focal Alpha 50 monitors with isolation pads. I could do £300 posted on them. PM me if you are interested.



    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3706
    Keep your eyes peeled for offers on eBay. Music matters often have 15% off
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 15863
    Yamaha HS7.

    lovely things.
    Humans will swim in the sea even though there are many corpses in it.  They will not swim in a pool with a corpse in it. 
    Therefore all humans have a water / corpse ratio that is acceptable to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 1715
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 500
    Thanks for all the advice guys. After looking at all the options and considering the need to be quiet at home, I've gone with a pair of high end studio monitor headphones instead.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 6181
    J.P said:
    John_A said:
    J.P said:
    Can’t go wrong with a set of Yamaha HS5s. Successors to the industry standard NS range. Pretty honest sounding. I’ve been running modellers/plugins through them for years and works for me. 
    Personally think although the HS-5's look great, I think there are better sounding monitors for the same Money.  Presonus E5 XT's or KRKR Rokit's are 2 that spring to ming

    After trying a few in that price range I settled on the KRK's and really like them


    Nice one, KRKs are cool as well. 
    Just to say I've found krk rokits really unreliable. Been through 4 in total, mixture of blown tweeters and dead power supplies. In each case buying 2nd hand units let me get going but is a royal pita. Last time they broke I switched out to HS5s and kept my lone functional rokit as a drum monitor for me electric kit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
Sign In or Register to comment.