Oversanded taper - reduce thickness of headstock or leave as is?

What's Hot
SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
edited August 2021 in Making & Modding
Guys I made a little boo boo on my tele neck today when creating the slope down from the fretboard to the headstock. I oversanded and created a slight depression.

To make it a little less pronounced I’m considering reducing the thickness of the headstock down to about 14.2mm

Would this work ok with my vintage kluson style tuners? The pole piece is approx 25mm tall, so around 11mm sticking out above the face of the headstock. How much further can I sand without running into problems?

I was thinking of sanding the depression out completely and adding veneer to the back to make the thickness back up.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    edited August 2021
    You can go down to about 1/2" without issues.  Most are about 14mm

Don't worry about the height of the tuners, the actual geometry from nut to string hole hasn't changed.  It will if you veneer the back

Personally I would level it out and add a veneer to the front
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Vintage ones are thinner, so sand it down to a uniform thickness and the guitar will also sound better :).

14mm overall is fine, I would just do it and not veneer it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    Would this work ok with my vintage kluson style tuners?
    Yes. The ferrule/bushings push in from the front, overlapping with the split posts as they pass through from the rear.

Whilst it is true that the ends of the string posts will appear to protrude slightly further than normal, this cannot possibly look as daft as the modern Kluson brand locking 'heads that I tried on an MIM Classic Stratocaster.

WezV said:
    Don't worry about the height of the tuners, the actual geometry from nut to string hole hasn't changed. It will if you veneer the back.
    If you actually want to alter the geometry, create a shallow wedge to fit between the headstock and the Kluson back plates.

I have an old Wilkinson USA wedge in aluminium stashed away somewhere. I ought to check the slope angle in degrees.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    edited August 2021
    I routed it down to 14mm Feeling a lot happier with it now...that little dip was so unsightly. Just needs some light sanding to smooth it out further.

https://i.postimg.cc/NG776Y8b/3-E30-C8-C2-5-C3-B-4-F74-9-EF3-524-B9-BC0664-C.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom