Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

It’s the annual Gibson price increase thread

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
Read online that in the US the Standard has gone up $200 and the Classic has jumped up $300.  Basically a 10% hike this year in the range overall (roughly).

I’m not in the market for one or really expect it to be any different…expected it really as timber prices has gone through the roof.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Damn , they’re expensive enough already 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    It was inevitable, I guess. You guys in England really get slammed with the prices of Gibsons and Fenders. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Inevitable would indeed cover it. The price of Fenders went up multiple times in 12 months, the price of just about everything has rose. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14775
    tFB Trader
    Timber price increases are going to have a major impact on prices - I heard that even the availability of good mahogany and even figured maple top is not easy at the moment - Forest fires, various bugs, Canada limiting supply of spruce/maple - All have an impact
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    The worldwide shortage of shipping containers is having an impact on the guitar industry too, alongside various other pandemic-related pressures. Hasn’t the price of pretty much everything gone up? 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    edited October 2021 tFB Trader
    chrisv said:
    The worldwide shortage of shipping containers is having an impact on the guitar industry too, alongside various other pandemic-related pressures. Hasn’t the price of pretty much everything gone up? 
    I heard it's the shipping container cost that's  forced up prices alot and that's what's caused raw material costs to shoot up so much, the price of timber is rediculous at the moment.

There's bound to be some piss taking though
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
    edited October 2021
    Just wait a bit. I'm sure they'll reduce the prices again once the current global supply chain issues and post-Brexit wrinkles are ironed out.

Not.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited October 2021
    Will that price increase mean that it will stay in tune now?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    Maybe we’ll all just have to get used to owning only one, like they did in the old days.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2453
    If only they’d invent and force upon customers some kind of auto-tuning mechanism. That would be popular and would solve all the company’s problems. 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    Timber price increases are going to have a major impact on prices - I heard that even the availability of good mahogany and even figured maple top is not easy at the moment - Forest fires, various bugs, Canada limiting supply of spruce/maple - All have an impact
    Finding good mahogany has been a problem for years now unless you're one of the big makers, I think Gibson have pretty much sawn up the Fiji mahogany and leaves us little makers scratching around

The problem doesn't seem as bad in the state's compared to us.

This problem will only get worse and one reason we're having to look at alternatives to the traditional, even Huber and suhr etc are looking elsewhere
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    StefB said:
    If only they’d invent and force upon customers some kind of auto-tuning mechanism. That would be popular and would solve all the company’s problems. 
    Well, they only means you don’t have to do the tuning, but the constant tuning still needs to happen!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    I was contemplating an LP Tribute in the near future but not if they bump the prices over a grand. They seemed good (ish) value at the original £899 price but more than that and you're into nice Japanese territory which will probably be a much better guitar.
  • Inflation is running at 5.3% in the US at the moment. As ever, the real rate will be higher. Buckle up…
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    I am accumulating guitars at the moment. I think it's a safer bet than holding cash. Not so much an investment as a hedge. Plus you get to have lots of guitars
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2425

The cost of the materials prob isn't a huge issue. The price of the manufacturing processes are probably the dominant part.

Guessing a few numbers, if the cost of the wood doubled from $10 to $20, the cost of the guitar only goes up by $10. The routing costs all still stay the same.
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 88
    It’s not only the guitars. I have had a few emails from parts suppliers saying they’ve been notified by companies that their components are going up from 5th Oct.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5004
    Everything is going up in price, it's a perfect storm, many factors from the Pandemic to the Suez canal blockage, to China being douchebags.

Anecdotal I know but I got a quote from my local tyre place for 2 premium front tyres about 2 months ago, couldn't afford them at the time so had to wait till this month. Called them to book in, the same tyres have gone up by £25 each. Once the stock left was sold, the new stock has increased by nearly 24 percent. Literally from now till who knows when, everything we import is going to increase in price. Stuff we don't import will also go up due to increased costs in the supply of products necessary to manufacture. 

Might be the end of this era of cheap and wasteful production, who knows...

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2021
    It’ll just turn to expensive and wasteful consumption. Without an alternative the necessity and demand will remain, and the consumer will be charged more and be forced to pay for it.

That’s capitalism for you.