Looking for a custom built Fuzz Factory on 1590A?

What's Hot
cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you would be able to do a custom fuzz factory in a 1590A enclosure?
The only pedal missing on my pedalborad is a fuzz now, the problem is that it needs to be horizontal + 1590A size.

I'm sure it's possible, see below ;)

thanks!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    won't be cheap: the pots in that are worth £10 alone, jacks, enclosure and 3PDT another £10, £10 for the transistors.
    PCB £5 +p&p

A couple of hours for the PCB and god knows how long for the awesome finish - is it a transfer? Have a wow - hope that helped.. not sure it did.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    haha, not sure if helped as well yet! .. are you saying you can build it or just pointing me to the resources?
    Let me know if you can and I'll pm you :)

thanks
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16658
    I would ask @badgerific
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thanks mate just pm'd him
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    These guys have a great rep on Basschat

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Another vote for @badgerific, class geezah!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    cbellanga said:
    haha, not sure if helped as well yet! .. are you saying you can build it or just pointing me to the resources?
    Let me know if you can and I'll pm you :)

thanks
    I'm just saying a plain jane pedal in a 1590a enclosure is likely to cost more than an actual zvex fuzzolo or a piggyfx schweinfleisch or a Malekko Omicron Fuzz.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    You need a tech with tiny fingers to fit all the guts in! I would mount the pots on the side leaving the top for the footswitches.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    There are very few components in a Fuzz Factory other than the pots, so it shouldn't be too hard to fit it in.

I know, there are three transistors and a small number of other small parts too, but you can stripboard it in not much more than the footprint of the pots. It's basically a "development model" with most of the values you would want to experiment with replaced with pots.

No, I am not offering to build one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    Proximity of the knobs to the stomp there would be a royal PITA, as would the layout internally. It's doable, certainly. But I very much doubt you'll get any volunteers for that build I'm afraid.
    edited July 2014
    haha yes .. just bought all the components (about £15) and will give it a try myself .. watch this space ;)
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1009
    There is a madbeanpedals project for this called the stubbi. I'm not offering to build it as I hate 1590a builds!!
    See here

This link had the build doc pdf if you're interested.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    I think if you use fairly small knobs (height-wise) and set the switch to the maximum height, there shouldn't be too much of a problem with the switch being close to the knobs, since it will be above them.

You must still use a nut on the inside of the switch though, or you'll probably separate the bushing from the switch body when you tighten the outer one - just make sure it's down as far as it will go.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I don't  quite get he obsession with tiny-fying pedals at the moment. It's fine for a one-knob booster but the full-size Fuzz Face is bad enough for hitting knobs when you switch it; I can't imagine what that would be like!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited July 2014
    I agree reg. hitting the buttons and all the fuss around mini pedals.

I think some pedals work well on that form factor (like an EP booster or  the polytune mini as you really don't need more space for a boost or a tuner) and that helps a lot if you have to commute around london .. any weight saving makes a difference when you're lugging around gear on public transport.

On my case specifically, I'm planning to trigger the pedal remotely + don't use a lot of fuzz for what I play so it's a good compromise.

And as I don't build pedals for living, I'd love the challenge of building something so small haha :)
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    cbellanga said:

And as I don't build pedals for living, I'd love the challenge of building something so small haha :)
    I did a few (probably about 20) and soon got bored of that ;)
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 148
    cbellanga said:
    I agree reg. hitting the buttons and all the fuss around mini pedals.

I think some pedals work well on that form factor (like an EP booster or  the polytune mini as you really don't need more space for a boost or a tuner) and that helps a lot if you have to commute around london .. any weight saving makes a difference when you're lugging around gear on public transport.

On my case specifically, I'm planning to trigger the pedal remotely + don't use a lot of fuzz for what I play so it's a good compromise.

If youre triggering remotely you can gain yourself some space by leaving the footswitch out.