Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who else is off the merry go round?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

It's currently Beebo Beebo Beebo - other pedals - Zoia Zoia.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I buy a lot less gear these days, one pedal this year  (Danelectro Pastrami for peanuts), one pedal last year (RaingerFX Drone Rainger, which I may move on soon). I have had very little GAS for a few years now, I think I hit saturation point!

My gig board evolves pretty slowly and the core of it remains consistent. I occasionally swap something in from my pile of spares just to keep things interesting.

in 2016

In 2018

And now I have taken the Hardwire reverb and external 2 button controller off (They weren’t really contributing much) and replaced the TU2 tuner with the Kong DT10 I was using previously.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I think as far as my traditional "pedalboard with an amp" setup, I'm finally off the merry go round. I've pretty well tried all the drives, compressors, delays, reverbs and trems that I've wanted to and have settled on what is below:

The chain is Polytune > EQ A > Timmy > TD-X > Cali76 > EQ B > DD-500 > Deco > Flint. All mounted on a Rockboard 3.1 and powered by a single Strymon Ojai plus a Gigrig Isolator.

The Deco and DD-500 can cover chorus and flanging when needed

The MC3 controls the DD500 and EQ-200 - the latter is set up so that one EQ is before the drives and one EQ is after the compressor. I have made my own Patchbay for the board which makes it really easy to set up with amps with or without effects loops.
    If I'm using an amp with no effects loop, the guitar plugs into the metal jack on the left and I plug a cable from the green jack to the amp input and all pedals are in series as per the routing above. If I want to use an effects loop, guitar goes in the metal jack and I connect into the front of the amp with the red socket. The yellow is the effects loop send and the green is the effects loop return. In this case, everything up to the compressor goes in front of the amp and everything after the compressor is in the amp's effect loop. Switching jacks take care of the routing depending on what is plugged in where.

• Cant even remember last time I changed mine. It's been pretty stable since I bought my helix. Im going:

TU-3 -> weeping demon -> helix, and i have a tempode for stabilising the tap tempo (although this isn't really needed since the 3 firmware)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I’m off it in the sense that one doesn’t scrutinise a sound being exactly like I’ve heard in the past etc I.e. vintage sounding etc. I’m more into new sounds that aren’t in other pedals if you know what I mean. Really don’t get this endless search of OD/Dirt pedals anymore. 
    That’s interest as that’s how I’ve ended up stopping changing.

Especially drive pedals, I’m as easily hyped up as the next person when you see a YT video by Rabea etc.

What stopped me was that they were always into loops and or a clean amp and that’s never been how I used any drive pedal.

So I’d use it for a bit into clean then be straight back to my amp for the driven tones and it would never be switched on again as I’d be back to my old faithfuls for shaping the driven tone I already had as I was no longer looking to hit a specific band sound more what I liked that was in the genre ballpark.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    markblack said:
    I wouldn't say I'm off the merry-go-round as I enjoy pedals, but as of now there's nothing I really want to try (famous last words)

Volante > My Dad was a fan of real tape echos and binsons - I still have one, but is massive and temperamental. I love this rhythmic style of echos, I just find it really musical again I can use it for an hour just making simple patterns. 

ZOIA > I've only scratch the surface - some times I just use it an effect, a trem for example, sometimes I use it to tray and create a pedal I've seen > reverb-chorus-delay-fuzz or I'll download a patch. Again you can loose yourself for an hour easily.

MOOD > I'm not sure about this to be honest - it may move on. But I keep thinking I'm missing something (this is my CB fanboy coming out again).

Automatone > Is massive overkill yes. But its really good, it does it all (yes its CB again) so many drive sounds from the classics to out there. Is it expensive, yes, but I really enjoy it.

I won't lie, I still go pedal hunting most days :) but there's nothing I really need.
    Volante I would have one of the again on a heartbeat but it’s far too big to fit my board :(

Zoia I’ve wanted to try and last year when I was trying loads of random pedals I couldn’t get hold of one.

Mood your thoughts mirror mine, one minute I felt it was amazing and we were making progress then the next day it was just impossible to get something out of.

Automatone again was on my list thinking it would replace my drive pedals but then you start thinking about stacking and pedals I’d miss so would likely be an expensive fuzz/ts.
  • I am trying to ignore the vast number of pedals that are available, both new and used, and I'm attempting to focus on learning to play the guitar instead. I have a small collection of pedals that I've picked up, a few drives, a couple of fuzzes, an echo, a chorus, and I'm seeing what I can do with those rather than buying more pedals that I don't know how to apply effectively!

Definitely more pedals in my future, but I'm trying to stay away for the time being.

Although I did buy a knock off Klon job from Wish a few weeks ago, and a Big Muff a couple of weeks before that. And a Danelectro FAB Fuzz not long before that...
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 456
    More serious answer.... I was thought I was off but in the past couple of weeks I've bought 3! There's just so much amazing stuff out there and it's just as much of a hobby trying all this gear out.

I also am a bit of a collector, so I have some that will never sell unless I really have to.
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited October 2021
    I seem to have found my sonic nirvana…not even looked at pedals for months…
    Right Sidecar for lower gain, Left for more, Fuzz for contrast, Boo Boost for volume increase. Plethora does more than Ill ever need…Quartemaster selects the pedals. (bypass, low gain, higher gain, fuzz, solo boost (Boo stacked with either bypass or selected pedal))

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• slackerslacker Frets: 2242
    edited October 2021
    I am trying to ignore the vast number of pedals that are available, both new and used, and I'm attempting to focus on learning to play the guitar instead. I have a small collection of pedals that I've picked up, a few drives, a couple of fuzzes, an echo, a chorus, and I'm seeing what I can do with those rather than buying more pedals that I don't know how to apply effectively!

Definitely more pedals in my future, but I'm trying to stay away for the time being.

Although I did buy a knock off Klon job from Wish a few weeks ago, and a Big Muff a couple of weeks before that. And a Danelectro FAB Fuzz not long before that...
    I played bass and acoustic for 17 years without pedals until I got into electric seriously. Pedals for me are part of the equation. I still play acoustic more, so I don't need pedals, I like them.

Electric guitar is a noise generator. If i want to learn a song I often start with an unplugged arch top. When I'm ahem composing I've got a bunch of whacky pedals.

Play guitar, learn theory scales modes, learn how to bend notes and where but also add glorious noise.

What would hallelujah sound like without 3 reverbs?
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3557
    DanR said:
    @BintyTwanger77 reverb has always been a pain to try to settle on.

My favourite is the Big Sky but I’ve neither the space nor need for something like that.

So the ones I’d be considering are the Blue Sky, Immerse and the 7, between them the Immerse is my favourite but not enough so that I can be bothered selling and buying again.

I’m afraid I have no idea who Boards of Canada are, I bought it during lockdown after seeing Yvette Young talk about it as she uses it in place of of a lofi junky which I love but is far too noisy.

So if that pedal does that bands sound this should.

One of my perennial favourite albums
  • I’ve not bought a single pedal since switching back to a Helix Floor 18 months or so ago… I can’t remember if it was pre-Covid actually! The problem with the HX is it does basically everything very well - or certainly, well enough for my needs and tastes. I do still catch myself idling over pedals at times, but mostly for the GAS, without actually buying anything. :)