School me: 4-way switch + Reverse control plate on a MIM Telecaster

What's Hot
I own this MIM Telecaster with 4Gen Fender Noiseless PUPs.  I am planning to install a 4-way switch and reverse the control plate. 

My understanding is that this should be pretty simple, will probably need to ground the neck pick up and change wire in one of the pots which is likely to be too short when I reverse the control plate. 

BUT...this is my first time doing this kind of work, I've never soldered anything before and I want to avoid screwing things:  Any practical tips I should keep in mind? Anything that might go wrong?  Will a 4-way switch work with the Noiseless pick ups?  Any resources that have helped with these kinds of mods before?

Also, what would your suggestions be for sourcing a new switch and cable?  While I'm in there, any other useful mods to consider?

Sorry for the vague questions, but any input would be great.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• here's an article on N3s 

https://electricpickupartist.wordpress.com/2020/06/05/fender-n3-noiseless-tele-pickups-baja-wiring-conversion/

so it seems the noiseless have a separate earth for the cover - so can have a baja mod
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Of necessity, the noiseless pickups are dual coil. Connecting two dual coil pickups in series is likely to result in a loud, muddy sound.

I have never been a fan of the reversed control plate idea. On some Telecasters, there is a shallow portion in the control cavity between the selector switch and the first pot. This will obstruct the electronics if you try to fit them in reverse.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I always flip the control as I want to use volume swells a lot more than I want to change pickup. 

I have the neck set up for jazz and the bridge for ice pick :) 

I've got the baja mod on my tele and I like the new setting but there's a volume drop that might make it challenging to use in a band situation.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited October 2021
    I always flip the control as I want to use volume swells a lot more than I want to change pickup. 
    I must have unusually long fingers. With the controls mounted conventionally, I can pick with my thumb and index finger whilst simultaneously using my ring and little fingers to roll the volume and tone controls à la Speedy West. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thank you both so much. @Funkfingers ;yes I was concerned that the dual coil on noiseless pick ups might be an issue. I've come across a few people who say they still work in series (like this guy), but others on tdpri report other experiences.  Would be great to know if others have tried it.

Yeah @tanihhiavlt ;, exactly, I also find that tend not to switch pick ups that much, but definitely play around with the volume and tone knobs.  

I guess part of this whole process has to do with making the instrument feel my own, by working on it and changing things around...good point about the shallow cavity Funkfingers, I'll have a look

Thanks again to both of you for your input!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    Connecting two dual coil pickups in series is likely to result in a loud, muddy sound.
    It does even with regular single coils!