Amp for heavy tight stuff plus genuinely pretty cleans

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Yep, the last thing I want to do is start some rumour that they've changed it or something, as I said, I really doubt it!  It just works for me for whatever reason.
    If you're up for it (and maybe this is a new thread) take the feed from the line out into some sort of recording device. Set the level to 10 o'clock on channel 1. Set the gain to 9 o'clock. Then record a chord... then switch to blue mode... record the same chord. Then do the same thing with the gain knob at 11 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and then full whack.

Be interesting to see what the differences in levels translate to directly from the preamp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
    edited August 2014
    ThePrettyDamned;311541" said:
    Balls, machete is 800 quid. But possibly worth saving for. Has an emulated out, too.

The demos are from players who are not that good at heavy styles though...
    I vote for this. Picked one up a couple of weeks ago and love it. cleans are typical fender if a little harder in the attack, the pull boost is perfect for blues with single coils or classic rock with hb, and the gain channel will do pretty much any sort from tight and bright to smooth and dark thanks to a very reactive eq, damping and notch controls.

Items a 1x12, but it's a big box that produces more than you'd expect. Really good master too, I can run it with the kids sleeping in the next room and it still sounds decent.

• Cool, I can do that, my amp is at the lockup at the moment but when I practice next I'll record that in my DAW.  I'll start a new thread so as not to derail this one anymore, sorry! 
    Cool, I can do that, my amp is at the lockup at the moment but when I practice next I'll record that in my DAW.  I'll start a new thread so as not to derail this one anymore, sorry! 
    Epic :)
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Mate...i can wholeheartedly recommend the ironheart. If i was you and made the decision on the IRT range, i would get the 60w head and an oversized 1x12 cab.

Reasons:
    - 6l6 or EL34 power tubes which is a great option. 6l6 would be perfect for Djent and modern metal tones...but you could always switch over to EL34's too.
    - the MV/Attenuator works really well, and sounds great at low and high volumes.
    - 3 channels with 2 independent EQ, plus the boost on the EQ setting which really does wonders
    - seperate boost function...that with the 3 channels means you really dont need any OD or distortion pedals
    - Dynamics knob which tightens up the amp for Djent stuff and turn the other way and you get looser and perfect for lower gain stuff
    - the clean is great as well...not widely advertised and extremely underrated.

Im happy with my Marshall...but i have to admit i miss my IRT120...they are fantastic amps. In an ideal world i would buy it again!
    I hated the IRT. It sounded generic and lifeless to me, and didn't seem to have enough saturation in the distortion to me. Nothing like a 5150 in the room. I'd much rather have the VH100R, which you can pick up 2nd hand for £200-300. Those are KILLER amps.
  • Lol, I'm pretty sure I remember trying to put @Drew_fx off the Ironheart on the basis of the lack of saturation and overtones to the drive sounds compared to the 5150.  

Honestly it is an acquired taste of an amp.  I don't think it is shit, but I do think it is an acquired taste and at a cheap price point used.  Like the EVH 50, I do think part of the hype is the price point (I strongly prefer the EVH 100 to both, but at considerable extra cost).  The IRT just seems to sit right for me and require little tweaking to be usable.  If you want any extra saturation to it you'll need to add more gain from a TS, and even then the upper end harmonic content that comes with the drive on a better amp is missing on the IRT.  But considering the s/h prices of the IRT they're a good option if you like dry bitey guitar sounds.

FWIW I'm considering selling mine, it'll be well within your budget however you're quite far away from me in Cambridgeshire TPD!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Drew_fx;311964" said:
    I hated the IRT. It sounded generic and lifeless to me, and didn't seem to have enough saturation in the distortion to me. Nothing like a 5150 in the room. I'd much rather have the VH100R, which you can pick up 2nd hand for £200-300. Those are KILLER amps.

If you can get the VH100 at that price then 100% yes! I just didn't think they were that cheap.
  • Yeah the old style handle VH100Rs do seem to go super cheap.  I don't know that they made any changes to the current one except going to the Ironheart style handles (which are a great design IMO).  I almost wouldn't buy a new VH100R based on what I've seen older used ones go for, it is almost criminal depreciation.
    samzadgan said:
    Drew_fx;311964" said:

If you can get the VH100 at that price then 100% yes! I just didn't think they were that cheap.
    Yup! I bought one for £200 once. They come up often enough.
    Yeah the old style handle VH100Rs do seem to go super cheap.  I don't know that they made any changes to the current one except going to the Ironheart style handles (which are a great design IMO).  I almost wouldn't buy a new VH100R based on what I've seen older used ones go for, it is almost criminal depreciation.
    Yeah Laney told me there is no difference apart from the handles. I bought a new VH100R back in 2009 or something, cost me £700. They're really expensive these days!!
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 391
    Have a look at the older Boogies, DCs, Fs, studio calibers etc. There are a few 30 watters there.
    Boogie cleans and boogie dirt. 
    Or a JCA and some nasty boost pedal
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    Engls might well be worth a look. Some people find them a bit bright/processed-sounding, though.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    What about the AMT Stonehead?, should do a good job of the sounds you described.

Shit, what just happened, I recommended a solid state amp to theprettydamned, it's like role reversal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude;312043" said:
    What about the AMT Stonehead?, should do a good job of the sounds you described.

Shit, what just happened, I recommended a solid state amp to theprettydamned, it's like role reversal.
    I really, really want to try one - but they just don't appear in this country!

It's a real consideration though. Small, light, loud, 4 channels...

I will save it as an eBay search. :)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited August 2014
    You can buy from AMT UK now but they don't have any Stoneheads in stock.  http://amtelectronics.co.uk/
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    You can buy from AMT UK now but they don't have any Stoneheads in stock.  http://amtelectronics.co.uk/
    It's a bit ridiculous, though, when you can buy cheaper (including delivery) from Thomann than you can from the original supplier.
    <space for hire>
  • It is daft. Also, I'm big on try before I buy - unless it's really bargaintastic. So I don't know... If one comes up used, I'll probably try it.
  • I didn't catch the price for the Stonehead direct as it is out of stock, just checked and looks like you're right for the preamp pedals.  I thought they were more expensive than that at Thomann, is has it changed or is that just the pound doing well against the Euro?
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    They don't come up massively often (one just went on Ebay for £500) but if one does, I'd wholeheartedly recommend an Egnater Vengeance. 

I bought the last one from guitar guitar for £500 new a few months ago and love it. The clean is super clean (someone actually complimented on my clean sound at a gig the other day which is a first) and the dirt channel is more gain then you'd ever need and does everything up to metal. It cuts through the mix brilliantly with high gain by setting the mid switch to the most mids but still sounds very heavy. 

If you've seen the what amps thread you'll know I've owned near enough most things out there (easily 50+ amps from marshalls to bogners etc etc) and gigging wise I'd take this over any of them.