NAD: now this is a PROPER amp......

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31591
edited August 2014 in Amps

And it's mine, all mine...a late 74 Hylight Hiwatt DR103- lovingly cared for by a mate of mine for many years it's been re-capped, cleaned, revolved and probably kept in a Humador !! £950 - a steal...

Calling @icbm ...any issues you can see?

Now- those neighbours....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    The neighbours will have to go.

It's a bit hard on them but they'll probably want to of their own accord soon enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Look at the size of that transformer!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    So, 16ohm cab, just adjust to suit and play, right?

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    I was expecting an Orange Micro terror :-P

Good score on the amp, i'm calling dibs
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Oh! Nice!

Gilmour at the ready...
  • damn they are so frickin tidy.

it makes my 70's fender look like it was wired by my 2 year old son!

happy NAD

The Swamp City Shakers
    Nah, they're just little ones. *These* are big transformers…

With a DR103 for comparison -

(Not my pics by the way.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    OMG - neat wiring...Harry Joyce!

After soldering they used to inspect the joint under magnification and then painted them if ok

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited August 2014
    OMG - neat wiring...Harry Joyce?

Harry Potter more like. that level of neatness is not possible by any mortal man

i wish he was still alive, he could teach my mrs how to organise my pants and socks drawer

The Swamp City Shakers
    OMG - neat wiring...Harry Joyce?

Harry Potter more like. that level of neatness is not possible by any mortal man

That's because it was mostly done by women :).

Who worked for Joyce's company and had previously done wiring work for the military, if I remember right.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    OMG - neat wiring...Harry Joyce!

After soldering they used to inspect the joint under magnification and then painted them if ok
    That's quality, military spec. I used to get that done when I worked for the RAF.

I know sod all about Hiwatt amps, would someone be so kind as to give me an example of a stereotypical Hiwatt sound?
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    edited August 2014
    Mid 70s Gilmour and Townsend, I reckon.

Although, I stand to be corrected...
    daveyh said:
    I know sod all about Hiwatt amps, would someone be so kind as to give me an example of a stereotypical Hiwatt sound?
    Old: The Who - Live At Leeds

New: The Killers - Live At The Albert Hall

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Chuffola;318075" said:
    Mid 70s Gilmour
    He was still using them on the 'On An Island Tour' in 2006.

He had three of them when he played The Bridgewater Hall - I don't know if they were all being used. It must have been pretty loud up there!
    Ah, that might explain it then as Pink Floyd and The Who have never been a particular favorite of mine. The Killers, some things I like but never paid enough attention to them to take note of the gear being used.
    ICBM said:
    Nah, they're just little ones. *These* are big transformers…

With a DR103 for comparison -

(Not my pics by the way.)

Show me the KT88's lit up. I will also need a tissue.......

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    daveyh said:
    Ah, that might explain it then as Pink Floyd and The Who have never been a particular favorite of mine. The Killers, some things I like but never paid enough attention to them to take note of the gear being used.

My gast is flabbered. I think my favourite guitar tone in the entire MP3-isphere is Echoes Live in Gdansk when he literally kicks the muff on and hits the massive CsharpMin chord as the very first note of the first solo....... It is breathtaking. That's the sound of a Cornish Muff going into the best pedal platform amp ever.

If my ear drum is to burst, I'd want that chord to burst it.

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    Yes. Yes, it is! :-)
    edited August 2014
    Gassage said:
    Show me the KT88's lit up. I will also need a tissue.......
    This is the gallery where I found those pics.

s347.photobucket.com/user/PeacefulMusician/media/Hiwatt%20restorations/HeadBox.jpg.html (cut and paste, link doesn't work)

There are at least a couple with glowing KT88s in :).

edited August 2014
    Gassage said:
    daveyh said:

My gast is flabbered. I think my favourite guitar tone in the entire MP3-isphere is Echoes Live in Gdansk when he literally kicks the muff on and hits the massive CsharpMin chord as the very first note of the first solo....... It is breathtaking. That's the sound of a Cornish Muff going into the best pedal platform amp ever.

If my ear drum is to burst, I'd want that chord to burst it.

See, thing is, I totally get why people like Floyd and have no problem with it (although can be fun baiting people ;) ) but fuck me they bore me rigid. I suppose it's all about what you get from music. Coming from a sleazy rock n roll background I prefer something that puts a woman on her back rather than getting her stoned.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom