I has discovered ... the Carpenters

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
I'm often dropping in to charity shops to see if they have any old CDs of interest, and on a whim I picked up the Carpenters greatest hits a couple of weeks ago. They are one of those bands that everyone sort of knows, you recognise the 'big' hits, but in my case I'm usually lost after the first line of singing along. To me they seemed like the ultimate 'soft rock' of the 70s, something that I didn't really have much interest in. 

Anyway, after a few spins in the car I just really got into the record. It's a weird kind of nostalgia trip, weird because I never really knew their stuff that well. Karen had a lovely voice. No real range or power, but it has a gentle charm, and she seems to have a quite unique was of just slipping into a lower range than you might expect. Many of the songs have quite a strong melancholy flavour which really suited her style. They are a slightly strange band in that they got famous and made a lot of money singing other people's songs. Not many successful 'bands' do that, it usually seems to be the domain of a certain type of solo singer.

Anyway, I went online and found this rather lovely concert from 1974 - live at Budokan. The show is actually a lot of fun, classic Carpenters songs plus a medley of hit at the time thrown in, and with a very capable band. Tony Peluso is there of course looking Mr 70s with his long hair, sideburns, white flared suit and giant collar, and he lets loose a few times with some perfect soloing. Karen was a delight back then, the ultimate girl next door. Such a shame that she never managed to defeat her problems.

Bloody hell, I'm so middle aged these days!

Anyway, here's the concert if anyone is interested.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Another band I've never stopped liking since I was a small child. 'Superstar' is probably my favourite song of theirs. She had an absolutely beautiful voice - no, not that much range or power, but so perfect and controlled. There's definitely a melancholic side there as well, which seems tragically appropriate with hindsight.

She could also play drums quite well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • They're my dad's favourite act so I grew up with them on in the Cortina. I don't think there's anything of their's I haven't heard. The production and arrangements of their stuff is great imo. 

Passage, Horizon, Now and Then and Made in America are probably my favourite albums. A Kind of Hush is pretty great too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 837
    Went to see them in, as I recall, 1976 in London. I would have been 21.

Karen Carpenter was brilliant. Her voice was just so pure. I don't think we knew about her problems with anorexia at that time. I don't really recall much about Richard except he did some classical stuff which was a bit boring. His main function in the concert, it seemed to me, was to provide instrumental lead for the backing.

She was quite breathtaking. A genius and so gifted vocally.
  • Always loved a bit of The Carpenters ( and my never to be tribute project The Skapenters). I can’t watch video though, she looked so ill for so long and I always feel should have been helped. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    Karen Carpenter had a voice that very few others could match, perhaps what we call perfect tone.

The ABBA ladies had it, Joni Mitchell had it.  Perhaps Ms Winehouse had it
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    And the fuzz tone on "Say Goodbye to Love"...
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1559
    The production on those Carpenters records is just...wow...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    Yes- best voice in popular music. Hands down. Transcendent. There's a purity and sincerity to it, but as others have said her voice is a beautiful 'instrument' in its own right.  

Rainy Days and Mondays is my fave. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890

I should hate them, given what I grew up listening to, but they are an absolutely wonderful band. Love them. 

Karen is up there as one of the greatest vocalist in my opinion. Just sublime. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    Karen had a voice like warm honey, just an incredible singer and was a highly skilled drummer too.
    Those old tracks are so luscious with those vocal harmonies and Richard's slick arrangements. And then there was 'Goodbye To Love' with that legendary outro solo by Tony Peluso. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    It's OK to like The Carpenters.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3813
    ICBM said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHyzGXAJPg

• ICBM said:
    Another band I've never stopped liking since I was a small child. 'Superstar' is probably my favourite song of theirs. She had an absolutely beautiful voice - no, not that much range or power, but so perfect and controlled. There's definitely a melancholic side there as well, which seems tragically appropriate with hindsight.

See, by the time I really knew who the Carpenters were, I already knew how the story ended…so I was never sure if the melancholy I could here was just in my imagination because I knew the back story.  
    Do you think it was there in the music anyway, before she died?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    ICBM said:

See, by the time I really knew who the Carpenters were, I already knew how the story ended…so I was never sure if the melancholy I could here was just in my imagination because I knew the back story.  
    Do you think it was there in the music anyway, before she died?
    Clearly! Just listen to some of those famous songs!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    I have always liked the Carpenters, but I must be the only person who dislikes the guitar solo by Tony Peluso. Probably because it sounds like the nondescript garbage solo that I would have played if I had been asked......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Rocker said:
    I have always liked the Carpenters, but I must be the only person who dislikes the guitar solo by Tony Peluso. Probably because it sounds like the nondescript garbage solo that I would have played if I had been asked......
    Have to say I'm not a fan of it either. Not only the notes, but I don't really like the sound - it sounds like someone trying to be rock'n'roll without actually quite getting it, if that makes sense. I'm all for putting edgy fuzz tones into pop records, but it's just a bit cheesy really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Rocker said:
    Have to say I'm not a fan of it either. Not only the notes, but I don't really like the sound - it sounds like someone trying to be rock'n'roll without actually quite getting it, if that makes sense. I'm all for putting edgy fuzz tones into pop records, but it's just a bit cheesy really.
    I love the note selection but hate the bee in jamjar sound like most and always imagine what someone like Brian May could have done with it, completely OTT multi-part harmonies!  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Rocker said:
    I think it's a superb melodic solo, that's why it is so famous. I've always hated fuzzbox sounds. It took me quite a few years before I could really appreciate the solo due to the tone. I'm used to it now but nobody should ever solo with a fuzzbox!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No shame in liking The Carpenters - they were very talented.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 815
    axisus said:
     No real range or power, but it has a gentle charm, and she seems to have a quite unique was of just slipping into a lower range than you might expect.
    Couldn't have put it better. She didn't even want to sing iirc. Shy talent is wonderful.My parents had sme lp's so i grew up on it.