1Q22 elstoof does a 62 Strat

What's Hot
Hello, I’m not convinced I’ll finish this in time for the end of the quarter but hopefully a thread will spur me on to fit it in. I’ve done a few partscasters in the past but this’ll be my first time spraying finish and also first time doing any relic stuff, having previously used french polish and oils. The plan is to make as close to a 62 Stratocaster as I can be bothered, I’ve never really been into Strats, never owned one, barely played one, visited a mate recently who’s been doing a similar project and discovered I had an itch that needed to be scratched. So, got a body from guitarbuild which seems accurate enough for my needs, decently weighted bit of Alder, and an Allparts neck. 

There’s been some period correct dowel glued into the body from when the “routing template” was “attached” and nails are ready for painting. Manchester guitar tech sonic blue is ready to go once the weather clears up a bit. One concern I have is the neck is already a pretty nice fit, once I fill it with paint it might be a bit too nice. 

Parts are coming in so we’ll see how the aging process goes. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2776
    Starting the thread spurred me on to get the guard loaded up seeing as the pickups came in from Monty’s last week. 

I aged the plastic a little bit, not going for a mega relic job just a bit of wear and tear. Doesn’t show up on photographs too well, looks newer than it does in person. A bit of aniline leather dye, a few tool marks and some 3000 grit did the trick

• Irresistible 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got the body sealed, primed and colour coated, I’ll leave it for the weekend then clearcoat goes on if the weather suits

• That looks great? How many coats of sonic blue did you do? I did 8 coats over the top of a very dull faded sonic blue body I bought a few weeks ago then 8 coats of gloss and I still managed to sand through it :-(
    edited February 2022
    Seems to be about 1/3 of the can left, did 2 of primer first so didn’t need too many coats to get coverage. After those pictures I ended up giving it a wet sand with some 1000 paper and another coat as I had a bit of dust on it and I can’t stop myself tinkering
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Looks lovely! 
    Thanks, your cans went on easy enough for this novice!
    edited March 2022
    I wasn’t happy with my clearcoat attempt, and in my self frustration I tried to be too clever and fix bits too quickly and make them worse. Once I got over my annoyance at my decisions I chose to sand the whole thing back, wasn’t feeling the sonic blue in any case. Sanding was deeply unpleasant and soon began to regret my choice, but on the bright side I know a lot more about spraying and sanding than I did last week. Some Daphne Blue in on the way to have another crack at it. Plus it’s more authentic to be handsanded and not CNC perfect, right?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A couple of daphne blue coats are on, much happier with this shade now I’ve seen it. I’ll spray some more tomorrow then clear coat over the weekend, just need to hold myself back from rushing again!

edited March 2022
    Got a few coats of clear on yesterday then put single coat of light tint just now. It’s exactly the colour I wanted in my head so well chuffed with how it’s going. Tomorrow I’ll sand out a little blob where my finger went too far over the nozzle and try to even out one or two bits I laid on a touch too thick, then stick another 3/4 of clear over the top before letting it harden

edited March 2022
    Had to put the parts on to see what’s what, I could’ve done a better job on spraying the body with more experience, just need to decide where te to leave it as is before final polish or have another little fiddle tomorrow (already made it a bit worse with todays fiddle). I can probably hide all my flaws in the relic job anyway. 

I can start sorting the neck out while the nitro cures

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just bollocksed it up, not easy this spraying game
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    More nitro on its way, another day of sanding beckons…
    Not much fun

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    we've all been there, probably more times than you will see posted ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    If you’re not making mistakes then you aren’t learning, right? At least I’m getting better, gradually. Done a much better sanding job this time so all worth it, luckily that the lad in Manchester has such fast shipping
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Think I’m getting the hang of it, got a few coats of tinted on without over spraying or any runs. It’s raining today so some clear on the top will have to wait until tomorrow 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2022
    Finally done with the spraying. Did a bit of fannying about on the neck as well, now just have to wait a few weeks before polishing and dropping keys on it all I guess

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    edited March 2022
    Looking good! Keys are a great tool for relic work I like. Create a dent then use a Yale key points to create a paint flake.Sand paper and Wet and dry to create the arm wear on the arm contour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Top job!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom