Are the Foo Fighters Over?

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6950
Genuinely not meaning this to be morbid, but wondering what people's thoughts are on whether the band will continue, and also whether you think they ought to continue, following their recent tragedy.

Hawkins was an integral part of the band, almost as much a poster boy for them as Grohl himself, and their loss no doubt will be huge to them, but...other bands have replaced members who have passed away without feeling the need to disband or change the band name.

So...should they? Will they? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I'm assuming they are done.

Although he was only a member from album 3 onwards the relationship between him and Dave seems critical to the band. 

Knowing Dave he's more likely to form another band and do something different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm assuming they are done.

Although he was only a member from album 3 onwards the relationship between him and Dave seems critical to the band. 

Knowing Dave he's more likely to form another band and do something different.
    This was my thought too.
    Only thing is, I think this most times and then the band in question does the inevitable "He'd have wanted us to carry on" thing. ZZ Top being the most recent one that springs to mind.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    I’d imagine they’ve not decided yet when they still have a funeral to get through and a lot of grieving to do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 689
    edited March 2022
    I totally expect them to be done. Can you see Dave fronting a stadium gig having a great time playing all the old hits? I can’t. 
    They’ve always been a band who are there to enjoy themselves and just do whatever the dynamic tells them feels right, Taylor and Dave’s bromance was just a huge part of that. 

The best I’m hoping for is a frekin massive tribute show the likes of which has never been seen one night only at Wembley stadium with every rock god that Dave knows playing every Foo Fighters song off every album. With me in the front row.
    Please. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    I can't imagine how fucked up this is for Dave Grohl. I think you're right @darius it's unlikely that he will want to drag the memory up with those songs every night
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    I must admit I've been assuming they'd carry on, after some time off.  But it's interesting to see these contrasting opinions.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    I can see it going either way. I don’t think Taylor would want them to stop on his behalf. But I can totally understand why that’s going to be really hard for all of them, and especially Dave. But Dave has spoken many times about how music was the one thing that helped him through when Kurt died, and the Foos were the outcome of that, so I hope there might be some solace there as well. 

I don’t think they’ll make any decisions quickly, and nor should they.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6950
    edited March 2022
    darius said:
    I totally expect them to be done. Can you see Dave fronting a stadium gig having a great time playing all the old hits? I can’t. 
    They’ve always been a band who are there to enjoy themselves and just do whatever the dynamic tells them feels right, Taylor and Dave’s bromance was just a huge part of that. 

The best I’m hoping for is a frekin massive tribute show the likes of which has never been seen one night only at Wembley stadium with every rock god that Dave knows playing every Foo Fighters song off every album. With me in the front row.
    Please. 
    I am a fan of the band Gov't Mule. They are nowhere near the scale of success of the Foos, of course, but when their original bassist died suddenly around 20 years ago, they arranged recording sessions with some of his favourite bassists. 
    Quite a coup to get some of the names they got, not least because many of them probably had no idea who GM were.
    They ended up with enough material for 2 albums and a bonus disc EP, featuring the likes of Les Claypool, Jason Newsted, Chris Squire, Bootsy Collins, Flea, Jack Bruce, Roger Glover, and even John Entwhistle, would you believe. 

They staged an epic gig featuring many of the bassists who had made the albums with them, too.  

Eventually, they regrouped with a new bassist and they are still going strong.

Point being, if ANYBODY could get a whole ruck of big name musicians to turn up for a tribute gig and/ or album for Taylor Hawkins, it's Mr Popular, Dave Grohl. 

Can you IMAGINE some of the names who would be up for it? 

• randellarandella Frets: 4732
    Point being, if ANYBODY could get a whole ruck of big name musicians to turn up for a tribute gig and/ or album for Taylor Hawkins, it's Mr Popular, Dave Grohl. 

Can you IMAGINE some of the names who would be up for it? 
    Aye, it'd probably be easier to name the ones who would say no!

I dunno what Grohl will do. If anyone has options for side projects and other work, it'd be him. If he carries on with FF, then fair play. Whatever he does I hope it helps him and the rest of the band get through the hard times and, whatever it turns out to be, I'll listen to it.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    Dave could play in the best band he's been in since Nirvana

Them Crooked Vultures

:)
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1121
    I expect it will be over. Although there will likely be a lot of pressure from "the industry" for them to keep going. No doubt Grohl will carry on making music, FF or not.

I still remember buying the first album on CD. Where does the time go? For some reason it was only £10, when most new CD albums at the time were £12 or £15.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4732
    Keiko said:

I still remember buying the first album on CD. Where does the time go? For some reason it was only £10, when most new CD albums at the time were £12 or £15.
    I remember when it came out too - a mate went and bought it, and lent it to me for 'a quick listen'. I still have it in the CD rack downstairs, the guilt is real :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    edited March 2022
    They won't be thinking 'who do we get' at this point.
    I reckon they will be thinking 'do we go on? yes or no?'.

I do think they will continue though but after a period of mourning and thinking about who can drop into the band.
    It won't be the same though- obviously.

The question will be if they get someone to drum will it be a touring/session member or a fully fledged band member?
    I'd tend to think the latter but certainly they don't need anyone to play on a new album- Dave could easily do that.

There are loads of top tier players who could easily match the technical challenge of the music- it isn't particularly complicated, It is just an endurance task more than anything- 3 hour long sets night after night.
    There is probably going to be a lot of rumbling along the lines of going to a public audition, find an unknown player who is awesome (or a woman, or a minority), I've already seen a couple of music blogs suggest it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    That all sounds sensible, though I'd be amazed if they go with someone they don't already know. If they do get another drummer they'll want someone they've played with before and (most importantly) that they know can handle touring and playing 100+ dates a year. I do think they would want to whoever it was to become a fully-fledged band member, same as Rami was formally added a couple albums ago after playing with them for years. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 384
    Not anywhere near as big as Nirvana or the Foos, but Feeder carried on following an appropriate break after their original drummer Jon Lee died, and found some further success. Hoping that the Foos will be able to do similar but would understand if not, sometimes the grief is just too hard to take without changing direction.
    I love my brick
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I can never see the point in guessing to be honest. It's Dave's band, he will do what he wants to. 

Bands can go on with other people. Taylor was a massive part of the band, they will 100% miss his personality but a drummer can step in. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    axisus said:
    I can never see the point in guessing to be honest. It's Dave's band, he will do what he wants to. 

Bands can go on with other people. Taylor was a massive part of the band, they will 100% miss his personality but a drummer can step in. 
    I agree. It’ll take a while but in my opinion they can’t/won’t jack it in. Another kick arse drummer will become available, at some stage. He (or she!) will have some massive boots to fill, but filled they will get.

Dave’s daughter plays drums....

It’s still very raw and poor Taylor isn’t even cold yet but I simply can’t help but wonder.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7432
    Hope it’s not that precocious Nandi girl……
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 667
    edited March 2022
    I reckon they'll crack on. I mean this with the greatest of respect to Taylor but this isn't Soundgarden losing Chris Cornell.
    They existed before him and they can exist after him.
  • Let us learn from Spinal Tap