Building a multi scale guitar?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
edited April 2022 in Making & Modding
I'm fascinated by the look of multi-scale guitars but I have never tried one. I'm currently building a 7 string guitar and I'm now wondering about making it multi-scale.

Is there any reason why not? I haven't routed the body yet, or fretted the neck. I'm assuming it's a case of doing the maths for the frets and getting an appropriate bridge - or am I missing something?

EDIT: I guess it would need a different nut as well?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 691
    Yes, pick your straight fret, mark frets to longer scale on low string and shorter scale on high. Join the dots and that's your slots. Nut is angled so make your own.

Individual mounting saddles are best for bridge.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    Yeah  it's just a different order of operations.

Worth cutting the fretboard to shape before slotting so you can then mark fret positions down each edge. 

Although be aware the actual scale length for the outer strings will be slightly more/less than the distances marked on the edge of the board.   I.e.  25"-27" marked on the edges will give you slightly more than 25" on the high e string, and slightly less than 27" on the low E.  Not really a problem, but some like to adjust measurements accordingly.

Makes sense to have the "perp"(fret that is perpendicular to the centre line) between 5th and 12th fret depending where you want the fan to be.     If you want the nut less angled so chords feel more familiar, put the perp closer to the nut like 5th fret.  If its a shredder, push it towards the 12th.  

You can go as far as having the nut or bridge as the perp, which some refer to as a half fan.   Having it at the bridge means you can use normal hardware, but can give a very angled nut. It still works well with smaller differences in scale lengths, not so erll with extreme fans

I tend to mark each side of the board, checking fret to fret and nut to fret distances carefully on each one.  Then scribe between each side and clamp a block on the board to act as a guide for each fret.  Slow going but works well enough without making jigs for repeatability.

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1581
    This is the Firebird that @WezV made for me:

When you play, it is easy unless you look at the fingerboard!   However it really feels comfortable and it fits with the Firebird shape.  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Thanks people. I'm still undecided about this having never actually played one, but it's all food for thought.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    I've played one of @WezV ;'s fan frets and after 30 seconds or so really didn't notice the fan at all