Why does Eric Clapton attract so much negative comment..

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Joking aside…

for me, apart from a couple of tracks with cream, everything he’s put out just lacks feeling and soul imo… it’s paint by numbers blews/rock and it’s very dull… but, that’s just me and my tastes… it doesn’t matter what I think or the fact that I’m right… if you like him, fair play!….
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4732
    Jimbro66 said:

Wasn't he actually singing about George's missus?
    They were together by then - the Layla... record was when she was still with George.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    The point is Clapton was a great guitarist at a time when rock and blues guitar was erupting and he led the way. His work with Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers and Cream would be enough to ensure his legacy but add in Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes and his solo work makes for a very impressive body of work.
    personally I preferred his solo work, though patchy at times as he was going through various addictions etc, still some real gems amongst that.
    For me his greatest period was from Layla to Another Ticket - ironically (or possibly because) that's when he was suffering from severe addiction issues. The racist outburst which is in the middle of that would be unforgivable in any other context, and almost is anyway - for many years I had real trouble being able to listen to anything he did - but he does seem genuinely ashamed about it, and he maintained friendships with many black musicians afterwards who presumably did forgive him. The anti-vax nonsense alienated a different set of people, and he does seem like a right dickhead in a lot of ways, but... he's still one of the most important rock guitarists whether you like him, or his music, or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25570
    Things I don’t like about him:

He admitted he raped and abused his wife Patty Boyd

The entire “Keep Britain White” thing and his support of Enoch Powell

His support of fox hunting

His anti vax views.

While in many cases I am perfectly happy to separate art from artist rape and racism are things that I can never look past.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    He's also supposedly a West Brom fan, though sadly he never chose to try and win me around by investing in making the club less of a joke ;)
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    Speaking for myself, I just don't like his music, and I don't think his guitar playing has ever been anything special. Even in the sixties I think you could argue that players like Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck and Mike Bloomfield were way more innovative and technically better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    edited April 2022
    I think for guitar players at least Clapton was ahead of everyone and aggressive and on fire for about 4 years and then he started playing Strats and just noodled around the major and minor pentatonic for 40 years. 

It’s incredible that someone with one of the greatest LP sounds would later play some of the worst Strat sounds.
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 508
    LPManic said:
    I think for guitar players at least Clapton was ahead of everyone and aggressive and on fire for about 4 years and then he started playing Strats and just noodled around the major and minor pentatonic for 40 years. 

It’s incredible that someone with one of the greatest LP sounds would later play some of the worst Strat sounds.
    Got worse when he picked up acoustic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
    ICBM said:
    The point is Clapton was a great guitarist at a time when rock and blues guitar was erupting and he led the way. His work with Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers and Cream would be enough to ensure his legacy but add in Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes and his solo work makes for a very impressive body of work.
    personally I preferred his solo work, though patchy at times as he was going through various addictions etc, still some real gems amongst that.
    For me his greatest period was from Layla to Another Ticket - ironically (or possibly because) that's when he was suffering from severe addiction issues. The racist outburst which is in the middle of that would be unforgivable in any other context, and almost is anyway - for many years I had real trouble being able to listen to anything he did - but he does seem genuinely ashamed about it, and he maintained friendships with many black musicians afterwards who presumably did forgive him. 
    For sure ICBM - it was a stupid thing for Clapton to say - and as you say he seems remorseful about it now - much as I guess Bowie regretted the Nazi salute at Victoria station right? There was a lot of silliness going on with rock musicians in the 70s - hence the whole fantastic Rock Against Racism movement...

To be fair - throughout his career he has done much to raise the profile of black musicians and the blues genre whilst he's raised millions for his drug and alcohol rehabilitation charity through his Crossroads festivals and guitar auctions.

Musically - christ...it's Clapton - where do you start?! So many hits, albums - I'm not even what you'd call a fan but I could easily come up with 5 faves (including that adrenaline rush opening riff of Layla, the guitar solo in Forever Man).
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    Sunshine of your Love is a super song
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1265
    He has consistently come across as a complete tosser. I like some of the Cream era stuff, but I'm there for Jack and Ginger. As soon as he picked up a Strat it was over for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13743
    Like a few Cream tracks, and Layla, but the rest I can take or leave.

But music is totally subjective so you can all fill your boots.

Like most musicians he should stick to music, and not express his opinions on other topics.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Very interesting guys and thanks to all for your contributions.  Here in Ireland we listen to his music, which is generally well liked, but know almost nothing of the guy himself.  Or his opinions or utterances.  Most of us know of his addictions and his Crossroads work.  AFAIK he remains the only non Beatle to play guitar on a Beatles record.  If that is so, it sets a very high bar and is an indication of what other musicians felt of his guitar playing.  On balance I like and have always liked EC records and I have most of them on CD.

Thanks again, it is always interesting to read your opinions and I appreciate your honesty.  I did not start this thread to cause a war or to make a thread that is known as clickbait.  And fair play to you guys, you gave your reasoned opinions without questioning my motives.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198

Like most musicians he should stick to music, and not express his opinions on other topics.
    What jobs are allowed opinions?

• If you read EC's autobiography, it's hard not to conclude that the bloke is an arrogant wanker
    Having watched the recent documentary and particularly the bits about his childhood, I came away thinking it would be hard not to be totally screwed up.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13743

I didn't say he couldn't have an opinion, he should just keep it to himself, especially as it includes rants on stage about "Enoch being right", and more recently anti vax nonsense.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12887
    Aside from his personal flaws of which he has many he has always come across to me as a great guitarist who became a bland middle age and then old man which you can hear in his output. 

• vizviz Frets: 11042
    edited April 2022

I didn't say he couldn't have an opinion, he should just keep it to himself, especially as it includes rants on stage about "Enoch being right", and more recently anti vax nonsense.

Yep he should take a leaf out of this musicians’ forum!

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 519
    munckee said:
    Aside from his personal flaws of which he has many he has always come across to me as a great guitarist who became a bland middle age and then old man which you can hear in his output. 

If he had managed to kill himself with heroin post Derek and the Dominoes I imagine his stock here would be higher.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    He's not the first and certainly won't be the last musician to express his unpalatable opinions. Music-wise, he's done some great stuff and some not so good stuff. Definitely a game of 2 halves. Oh..and he can play a hell of a lot better than me. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.