SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Something a bit special for my 40th - possibly high-end Strat?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• OnparOnpar Frets: 436
    edited April 2022
    Hattigol said:
    Fuck's sake, I had to ask didn't I?! That's definitely given me something to think about, though I think maybe i prefer the little bit more relicing on the eBay one. 

Onpar said:
    The Jumbo frets vs medium vintage will make a huge difference to playability. I would probably base my decision on which frets you prefer. And which one you think looks cooler of course. 

I purchased the white version of the 59' CS Strat new from Coda a few weeks ago and I love it.

Only you know best though buddy. Go with what excites you the most. 
    Will that difference really be that huge? I have jumbos on my Duesenberg and medium jumbos on another, both of which I like. I didn't think there'd be that much  of a difference between the two? Not sure I've ever played 'medium vintage' so hard to judge.
    Yes, in my opinion the difference between the Jumbo 6100 frets compared to medium vintage frets on a Fender CS Strat is huge. I had jumbos 6100 on a CS Tomatillo strat and found them a bit too big. But that's just what I found, you might love them. That's why I found buying in person from a shop took out the guess work but I know that's not always possible for everyone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    The ancho poblanos would swing it for me and it looks really nice but that ding is quite a big one (or two).  I think it would depend on whether you could genuinely put it out of your mind or whether you’d always be wondering what had happened?  If it’s the one for you I’d certainly try and get £100-200 more off for that if you can.
  • thebreeze said:
    The ancho poblanos would swing it for me and it looks really nice but that ding is quite a big one (or two).  I think it would depend on whether you could genuinely put it out of your mind or whether you’d always be wondering what had happened?  If it’s the one for you I’d certainly try and get £100-200 more off for that if you can.
    I'm fairly certain I could put it out of mind, and I don't really care what happened exactly. It can't have been that catastrophic a mishap if it's just those dings. I've done much worse myself and the guitars have still been fine! 

I'm not convinced on paying the full asking price mind you. Anyone had experience with Pro Tone Music, and know whether he's generally reasonable with negotiating asking prices? 
    Yes, I have.  He’s a really nice bloke IMO and I bought a beautiful Les Paul off him.  However, he drove a really hard bargain and didn’t seem willing to move on price much at all (although it’s hard to know exactly because I had to trade 2 guitars, pedals and cash, but the sense I had was that he was easily going to cover the price he’d set for the guitar).  Depends how much you want the guitar in the end.  For me I was willing to do it because I really wanted that exact Les Paul.  Having said that, I did and would always negotiate, and on a different day and a different guitar he might be more open.  I think the knock in the move would be a legitimate reason for a bit more off personally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 476
    If I recall correctly Pro Tone music is Craig Greenwood if you guys ever remember him. King of the bedroom dealers, would buy at rock bottom and set prices as high as the sky, like 50% above market rate. Also known for being rude to people and not declaring damage on stuff he resold, as well appearing to have sold fakes as custom shops. There are multiple threads on here about him, he was banned from here a number of times under different ID's. There were plenty of stories in other places too before he changed from Greenwood's guitars to Pro Tone. No idea what he's been like in recent years but my memory yells barge pole when it comes to dealing with him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, talk about two completely different opinions on the same person! I definitely think his prices in general are a tad 'optimistic', to put it politely. I wonder how often he ever actually sells anything for the stated asking prices? 
    I think he’s managed to make the transition from bedroom dealing/sole trading to owning and running a bricks and mortar shop in central Liverpool, VAT reg’d, an odd employee etc. (the “recent move” may have been to a different premises though?).  I think his prices reflect that to a large degree.  I’m sure there will be differences of opinion on both him and the prices he sets, but by and large they seem fairly in line with what shops charge for s/h guitars?
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 476
    thebreeze said:
    I think he’s managed to make the transition from bedroom dealing/sole trading to owning and running a bricks and mortar shop in central Liverpool, VAT reg’d, an odd employee etc. (the “recent move” may have been to a different premises though?).  I think his prices reflect that to a large degree.  I’m sure there will be differences of opinion on both him and the prices he sets, but by and large they seem fairly in line with what shops charge for s/h guitars?
    Nah, well before he was a bricks and mortar he was scalping for as much as he could get, and he was asking way more than most shops I know charged back then. Like I said I can't comment on anything last 4-5 years. Didn't you get into an argument with him when he was pretending to be 'a good friend of his' defending himself on here with a couple of his 6 or so aliases here and being generally rude? 
    OP, I think it's a case of caveat emptor. He had issues in various facebook selling groups as well as on here. I'd say google his name, (which will probably lead back to here actually!) do a bit of reading, and see if you personally are happy to deal with him. 
    wizbit81 said:
    thebreeze said:
    Nah, well before he was a bricks and mortar he was scalping for as much as he could get, and he was asking way more than most shops I know charged back then. Like I said I can't comment on anything last 4-5 years. Didn't you get into an argument with him when he was pretending to be 'a good friend of his' defending himself on here with a couple of his 6 or so aliases here and being generally rude? 
    OP, I think it's a case of caveat emptor. He had issues in various facebook selling groups as well as on here. I'd say google his name, (which will probably lead back to here actually!) do a bit of reading, and see if you personally are happy to deal with him. 
    I did, your right, and I definitely agree that as in any buying situation it’s caveat emptor and you should go into it well researched and weigh up for yourself how it all fits.  Having met the bloke though and dealt with him (which I hadn’t when I took umbrage with his approach to the Forum) I decided I didn’t need to have a fixed view of him.  I think you give sensible advice too.  
  • Well, after months of scrimping and saving, researching and deliberating, searching and scouring the internet, the search has finally ended!  :o

Think I sicked up a little into mouth when I clicked "confirm transaction" on my banking app; biggest transaction I've ever done aside from buying a car and a house! Alas, it's done now, no going back!

Thanks everyone for your advice and generous offers throughout this thread
     Keep your eyes peeled for a NGD thread in the coming days (assuming it survives the courier!  :# )
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 240
    Did you spend that much online without playing it first!
    Brave move, look forward  to finding out what you bought.
    Enjoy it, CS guitars are invariably great to play.  If not, you can always return it.  I look forward to seeing what you went for!
  • Ungulate said:
    Brave, or foolish? Time will tell! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 240
    Ungulate said:
    Brave, or foolish? Time will tell! 
    Brave, go for it!! Post pics ASAP.