James Dean Bradfield - Manics live rig pics

What's Hot

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    LPManic said:
    TheVintage-T said:
    Just looked at the setlist....nothing from the Holy Bible?! Scary. 
    Yeah, travesty that they pretty much ignore GATS and Bible. Would have loved Faster and Roses in the Hospital.
    As a rule, they don't play anything from the Holy Bible since the anniversary gigs.
    I 99% I’ve seen them do faster since those incredible 20th anni shows. I could be wrong but I’m sure I last saw them about 5 years ago. The holy bible is top 5 record of all time to me 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    Vintage-T said:
    JDB loves the humbucker teles these days doesn't he?  I suspect as a man in his 50s his back thanks him for that!

Wonderful musician from my all-time favourite band, thanks for snaps :)
    He only used it for 2 songs, 80% of the gig was still the LP Custom.

Still dazzling how he never trips up on his lead when moving about. I don't move about much when playing, but could trip on my shadow easily enough

Exactly the opposite to the This is my truth tour when he only pulled out the LP for two songs when I saw them last.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ...I really don't get the "they just did soft rock" thing after Holy Bible honestly.

They did one album of stadium rock with EMG, but followed it up with a protest album that covered the Spanish civil War and drowning a village to make a reservoir, Hillsborough and arsonist teenage twins.

Then they made whatever the heck Know Your Enemy was, everything from Beach Boys to Disco to Metal.

Then a Pet Shop Boys record, then another soft rock album with one of the best love duets ever on it...

Then a heavy rock sequel to the Holy Bible..

Then a whole album about being in your 40s...

Nothing twice the same, ever.

I might be biased as a fan but they could have stood still for 20 years but like them or not they never have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ...I really don't get the "they just did soft rock" thing after Holy Bible honestly.

They did one album of stadium rock with EMG, but followed it up with a protest album that covered the Spanish civil War and drowning a village to make a reservoir, Hillsborough and arsonist teenage twins.

Then they made whatever the heck Know Your Enemy was, everything from Beach Boys to Disco to Metal.

Then a Pet Shop Boys record, then another soft rock album with one of the best love duets ever on it...

I might be biased as a fan but they could have stood still for 20 years but like them or not they never have.
    You missed the amazing kraut rock about of futureology too! 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6948

I for one have never said they just did "soft rock" since THB, but they haven't done anything essential since then either.

Journal For Plague Lovers was a very good attempt at recreating the Holy Bible spirit, albeit it came off more as a pastiche, and Know Your Enemy had a few good tracks, but I wouldn't miss them if they weren't there.

And you mention their Hillsborough song... Surely the absolute nadir of Nicky Wire's lyric writing? And, let's face it, he wasn't great at the best of times.

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6948
    LPManic said:
    TheVintage-T said:
    Just looked at the setlist....nothing from the Holy Bible?! Scary. 
    Yeah, travesty that they pretty much ignore GATS and Bible. Would have loved Faster and Roses in the Hospital.
    As a rule, they don't play anything from the Holy Bible since the anniversary gigs.
    I 99% I’ve seen them do faster since those incredible 20th anni shows. I could be wrong but I’m sure I last saw them about 5 years ago. The holy bible is top 5 record of all time to me 
    SetlistFM will give you the facts on this. Had a quick look earlier. Think Faster is the most recent one played (2018) except for Die In The Summertime which, bizarrely, JDB played acoustically in 2021 at an event with Nicky Wire, I believe.

edited June 2022
    <snip>
    I was actually referring more to @mrkb s comment and he KNOWS I don't agree with him

... and realistically, as my favourite band, we ain't going to agree, probably some stuff you consider essential I think is dross and vice versa... not something objective and daft to pretend it is.

I remember someone saying to me when I said the Manics were my favourite band "don't you think Nicky Wire is a bit of an arrogant knobhead" and I said "probably, never met him though"..

Ironically, if I was in the pub and someone started quoting the situationists and Albert Camus while lecturing me on Welsh volunteers in the Spanish Civil War I probably make my excuses and leave.  When the Manics do it, I love every word.

You missed the amazing kraut rock about of futureology too! 
    Europe Gehrt Dirch Mich! ;)

Also the piano led Boris-baiting and still somehow has some superb solos most recent one...

...and the one with International Blue on was pretty good as well
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    I’d absolutely agree that they are a band who have never stood still. Let’s be honest, middle aged men don’t write like young men. So we were never going to have THB2 (just as Radiohead were never going to make The Bends or Ok Computer 2 and as we now know…paintbrushes, tut tut). 

But the reality is that there are a couple of really good songs on every album, well written and memorable, regardless of the genre they would be pigeonholed in. That they keep on going and put the rest of the album out anyway (including the inevitable Nicky vocal) just reflects their dogged determination as a band -I can’t help but love them for that punk attitude that simply doesn’t care what anyone else thinks. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    Wife’s a diehard, so probably seen them more than any other band. JDBs a phenomenal player. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 5007
    I’d absolutely agree that they are a band who have never stood still. Let’s be honest, middle aged men don’t write like young men. So we were never going to have THB2 (just as Radiohead were never going to make The Bends or Ok Computer 2 and as we now know…paintbrushes, tut tut). 

But the reality is that there are a couple of really good songs on every album, well written and memorable, regardless of the genre they would be pigeonholed in. That they keep on going and put the rest of the album out anyway (including the inevitable Nicky vocal) just reflects their dogged determination as a band -I can’t help but love them for that punk attitude that simply doesn’t care what anyone else thinks. 
    Oh, I dunno. I'd say The Smile album that's just come out sounds like In Rainbows v2 to me. And I approve! :-) 

Agree with you about the Manics. They've done enough in their career, and the longer it goes on, the harder it becomes to please everyone - so hopefully they're pleasing themselves.
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    @lustycourtier did you see them 98 or 99 (can't remember which year) at the Northgate Arena ? I remember it being a great gig but with appalling sound in there. I think it was just before This Is My Truth.... was released. 
    dano said:
    @lustycourtier did you see them 98 or 99 (can't remember which year) at the Northgate Arena ? I remember it being a great gig but with appalling sound in there. I think it was just before This Is My Truth.... was released. 
    Yeah, met them at that gig too. That was the first ever tour they did an encore on   B)

I saw loads of gigs there that year. Morrissey on the Maladjusted tour, Mansun too. 
    Mansun too. 
    Fucking love Mansun.
    Mansun too. 
    Fucking love Mansun.
    loved sadly. I see Andie a lot as he still gigs pubs round here, but Draper is a proper piece of work to the point I cant bear to hear anything by them now. Such a shame
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    Mansun too. 
    Fucking love Mansun.
    loved sadly. I see Andie a lot as he still gigs pubs round here, but Draper is a proper piece of work to the point I cant bear to hear anything by them now. Such a shame
    What band or name is he gigging under ? 
    dano said:
    Mansun too. 
    Fucking love Mansun.
    What band or name is he gigging under ? 
    Just random pub bands doing punk ska stuff. One supported us once and the singer didnt even know he was in Mansun. He doesnt shout about it, but did attend a fan convention in 2019, and was planning to do some gigs with Paul until Paul was exposed for being Paul.
     You arent a real Mansun until youve been harassed and threatened by a coked up Paul.       
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mansun too. 
    Fucking love Mansun.
    Oh that's a shame - I've spoken to Paul very briefly indeed on social media and he generally behaves pretty well on there, but that's where he sells his stuff so he needs to doesn't he.

Have to admit to still enjoying both Mansun and his solo work - I've even got the big expensive box set he did - hope Andie got his share of that BTW - but I'm not close to him obviously.

I hope somebody had strong words with him over drunkenly messaging that girl from the support band, that was bang out of order.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4498
    That LP through his JCM900 is how a distorted rock guitar should sound for me. 

I remember their sound was always good live. From festivals to rooms, I never heard them sound bad. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 137
    Mansun too. 
    Fucking love Mansun.
    Are you able to elaborate on this a bit? What has he done?