Listening Party #15 - Super Furry Animals - Radiator // Weds June 29th @ 8pm

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• There's old videos on Youtube of his first band
    This one is total baggy style, total 90 ish!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey @MagicPigDetective - gutted I missed this - apologies.  I just wanted to say that thought this was a great choice - SFA are a largely under appreciated band imho...... the get lumped in with the britpop thing (being on Creation, having feather cuts and releasing your debut records in the mid 90's can do that lol) - but they are SOOOO much more than that -  they have a huge catalogue which is peppered with a heady mix of some truly beautiful and harmonically lush song writing (Fire in my heart, hello sunshine, run christian run to name a few) mixed with orchestral pop, (juxtaposed with you) techno (slow life), tropicalia (Northern lites), funk (smoke it) and psychedelia (ice hokey hair).....they did brilliant interviews in which they moved from absurd humour and surrealism to their strong political beliefs and also made it clear they weren't a careerist band by doing lots of fun and unusual things (buying a techno tank and driving into a festival crowd, launching Howard marks, doing strange gigs, travelling to Colombia to meet with Andrew Loog Oldham - having a top ten album, MWNG, sung entirely in Welsh, having Paul McCartney eating celery on your album) they had hilarious songs like baby ate my 8 ball and the very best of Neil Diamond to songs that explore. politics and the heart of the human condition such as frequency....... 

They did things there own way from start to finish and made some magical music along the way - bands like them are a distant dream in todays world. And there is something uniquely Welsh about their naive, inquisitive curiosity and individualism.. A. superb and crazily underrated band (not sure I'd have it any other way)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    markv said:
    SFA OK!

Big fan of Guerilla, but haven't listened to Radiator as much for some reason.
    Guerilla is my favourite too, Radiator was my first SFA album, fabulous, and very unique at the time. Stood out from the crowd. 

I’ve got all the SFA albums.  All the Gorkies albums too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey @MagicPigDetective - gutted I missed this - apologies.  I just wanted to say that thought this was a great choice - SFA are a largely under appreciated band imho...... the get lumped in with the britpop thing (being on Creation, having feather cuts and releasing your debut records in the mid 90's can do that lol) - but they are SOOOO much more than that -  they have a huge catalogue which is peppered with a heady mix of some truly beautiful and harmonically lush song writing (Fire in my heart, hello sunshine, run christian run to name a few) mixed with orchestral pop, (juxtaposed with you) techno (slow life), tropicalia (Northern lites), funk (smoke it) and psychedelia (ice hokey hair).....they did brilliant interviews in which they moved from absurd humour and surrealism to their strong political beliefs and also made it clear they weren't a careerist band by doing lots of fun and unusual things (buying a techno tank and driving into a festival crowd, launching Howard marks, doing strange gigs, travelling to Colombia to meet with Andrew Loog Oldham - having a top ten album, MWNG, sung entirely in Welsh, having Paul McCartney eating celery on your album) they had hilarious songs like baby ate my 8 ball and the very best of Neil Diamond to songs that explore. politics and the heart of the human condition such as frequency....... 

They did things there own way from start to finish and made some magical music along the way - bands like them are a distant dream in todays world. And there is something uniquely Welsh about their naive, inquisitive curiosity and individualism.. A. superb and crazily underrated band (not sure I'd have it any other way)

No worries. You're clearly a big fan with that username! Good to hear your thoughts, couldn't have put it better myself. They have such an unusual approach or way at looking at things, at words and melodies, such imagination and creativity, in all things, not just the music. They've been a massive influence on the Welsh music scene, still are. Very influential ,also showed us Welsh it was truly possible for us to be cool, successful, talented, subversive, popular, funny.. all those things, whilst staying faithful to your roots and culture.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom